Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Documentation / KM Folder structure / wiki
Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 27, 2014 08:41PM

Must be me, but I don't see any blanks at "String Handling". Neither is there a "!!" or "!" on any of those lines. It is a non-numbered list.

String Handling is half the way down the list.

*[Expressions | #expressions]
*[Special Strings | #stringsspecial]
*[Special Global Variables | #global]
*[Events | #events]
*[Statements | #statements]
<!-- the two asterisks make the item an indented section of a non-numbered list
**[Conditional statements | #conditionals]
**[Documents | #documents]
***[Document Manipulation | #docmanipulation]
***[Opening Documents | #docopen]
**[String Handling | #stringhandle]
***[General | #stringgeneral]
***[Substitution | #stringsubstitution]
***[URLs | #stringurls]
**[Iteration | #iteration]
**[Interfaces to | #interfaces]
***[The User | #interfaceuser]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: siria
Date: October 27, 2014 09:13PM

No, not here of course. Here are no blanks.
Look further down. FAR further down ;-)

Date: October 27, 2014 10:51PM

Or simply use the page search, Ctrl+F to search for "! string hand"
It is the jump targets that create this ToC themselves.

Date: October 28, 2014 11:34AM

OK! I finally got it done. Thanks to siria and Gordon451 for you help and patience.

Posted by: gordon451
Date: October 28, 2014 12:14PM

Ta-Daaaaaaaa!

It's up! At http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KM74Folders smiling smiley

Tell me what you think.

Gordon.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: October 28, 2014 06:08PM

profile.ini for portable install, or to locate profiles folders in km root folder.

just add for wine/Linux
Application Data/
/home/<user>/.wine/drive_c/users/<user>/Application Data/K-Meleon/wxy.default
for default profile location

For markup documentation, have a look to this I have modified this doc there were a very long time, and I think it's always good.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 06:16PM by JujuLand.

Date: October 28, 2014 11:35PM

Hi JujuLand -

just add for wine/Linux
Application Data/
for default profile location
A+

I'm not familiar with *nix folder structure, so at a guess we are looking at:
Application Data/home/<user>/.wine/drive_c/users/<user>/Application Data/K-Meleon/wxy.default
as a single string?

I've already had a play with WikiMarkup, tidying up the Headers and inserting the ToC mechanism. I'm taking siria's advice very literally, tiny baby steps, so no big changes. But there is an awful lot of tidying to be done!

Date: October 29, 2014 07:33AM

gordon
Application Data/home/<user>/.wine/drive_c/users/<user>/Application Data/K-Meleon/wxy.default

No, just:

wine (the program) is installed in /home/<user>/.wine,
In this folder drive-c is created (equivalent to C:\)
<user> is equivalent to C:\Documents and settings\<user>
For the rest, it doesn't change from Windows XP

A link is then created for the program wine on /home/<user>/.wine/drive_c/ to C:\
So it's equivalent, but linux users don't use C:\, and prefer linux pathes.smiling smiley

Under C:, there are users, Program Files, Windows and so on folders
I personnaly have created a Program Files folder under /opt, with correct rights, to allow all the users to use the program, and to have all the profiles together in the same folder. I also use kmroot folder for profiles (profile.ini), so I wasn't sure of the real folder, I thought that I perhaps have forgotten profiles folder in the path.

Having verified, no profiles folder ...:s

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 07:37AM by JujuLand.

Date: October 29, 2014 08:20AM

It's a good first draft :cool:

Frankly, while the folder list looks interesting, but when I look at it from a clueless-user-viewpoint, just seeing the ToC would make me run away screaming ;-)
Of course, I don't really know how to make it better either.
Perhaps... make the profile stuff more separate, perhaps something more in clear text... hmm

Profiles+Cache per User (installed version)
(for more than 1 profile, switch profiles by "Ask at Startup" via...)
- in AppData...
- in Local-AppData...

Profiles+Cache for all Users (portable version)
(writing rights needed / switch profiles by "Ask at Startup" via...)
- c... programs... KM...

Plugin Folders

Thinking about it again, isn't there already some old extra wiki page for profiles? Not sure, and no time now...
Just a few first thoughts, and I don't even know the structure myself, don't take it too seriously ;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 08:28AM by siria.

Date: October 29, 2014 11:24AM

Hi siria -

It's a good first draft :cool:

Wiki's don't have a "final" draft! tongue sticking out smiley

Gordon.

Date: October 31, 2014 09:30AM

JujuLand
I personnaly have created a Program Files folder under /opt, with correct rights, to allow all the users to use the program, and to have all the profiles together in the same folder. I also use kmroot folder for profiles (profile.ini), so I wasn't sure of the real folder, I thought that I perhaps have forgotten profiles folder in the path.
A+

Hi JujuLand -

Tell me more! You remember in Windows you can have an app installed "For all users", provided you are in Admin when you install. In W7, this places shortcuts in the C:\Users\All Users Start Menu. Of course, you then have your private/personal data in your personal account, while children or guests can play happily in their account with restricted permissions... And the wife can have hers as well :cool:

I cannot see why this cannot be done under Wine :drool:

Gordon.

Date: October 31, 2014 03:54PM

I don't know exactly why, but wine installs the drive C:\ under the user folder. That's a fact.

When you run a setup, the default path is often C:\Program Files (make abstract of W7 and W8, where the folder is different, but the philosophy is equal)

So, this is here that a windows program will be installed, by default. The big problem is that this program can't be use by another user of the computer.

So, I add a new drive E: (with a config tool of wine) that I locate under /opt, I call it Program Files, I modify the rights to allow all user to read/write this folder, and that's ok. No need to be in admin for all the operations, except one time to create the folder Program Files and to change the owner and the group of the folder. After, all the program you will install will be instaled without problem.

I then install the program just modifying C: by E: in the default path, and it then can be used by all the users.

After, for K-Meleon, for exemple (what an idea:coolsmiling smiley, each user which will use K-Meleon, without the use of profile.ini in the kmroot folder, will create its profiles under C:\users\<user>\Application Data\K-Meleon ....

ok ?
or am-I too much confusing ?

A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2014 03:57PM by JujuLand.

Date: October 31, 2014 11:44PM

Hi JujuLand -

No, you are not confusing, learning to think in *nix is... a bit difficult! smiling smiley

So we are looking at
../.wine/opt/drive_e/Program Files/K-Meleon/
as the install path, where all of the working folders will go, while users will only ever see
their own personal profiles grinning smiley

N'est ce pas?

Gordon.

Re: Documentation / extensions
Date: November 01, 2014 09:17AM

...and maybe Macros.

At the same time, the Wiki is a bit incoherent, so I'm looking at making a path to the current versions (K-M74.24 and K-M74.31), by-passing the 2.6 and earlier. I think we need to keep the older pages, they have some good stuff, but not very much of it can be used in K-M74.

And a quick tidy up of our entry pages, that seem to repeat themselves a bit...

Gordon.

Date: November 01, 2014 09:43AM

There are some errors in the way you see it.

The better way, for me, to be clear is to make a file

A+

Attachments: Linux K-Meleon Structure.zip (18.3 KB)  
Date: November 01, 2014 10:03AM

gordon451
looking at making a path to the current versions (K-M74.24 and K-M74.31), by-passing the 2.6 and earlier. I think we need to keep the older pages, they have some good stuff, but not very much of it can be used in K-M74

The pre-74 pages (for KM1.7 and earlier) are still necessary, for people with old machines that cannot run 74 :-/
By far most macros should still work with all version 1.5 - 74 without changing anything, only the more complicated ones need a special 74 version.

Date: November 01, 2014 12:25PM

JujuLand
There are some errors in the way you see it.

The better way, for me, to be clear is to make a file

A+

I'm not surprised there were errors. Linux makes perfect sense and logic to those who have worked with it grinning smiley (Windows occasionally makes sense to those who work with it :O)

But thanks for the files, the Way is more clear.

OK, so /opt is E: and we have

/home/opt/Program Files/K-Meleon/

Gordon.

Date: November 01, 2014 12:32PM

@ Gordon451

Do you plan that at some point there will be a need to show some file locations which do not come as the default?

For instance these might show up if a user installs certain extensions.

If restart or note4me is installed then there will be these added folders.

root\tools
root\skins\default

If local documents is installed this folder is used.

root\browser\res

Note that the "res" folder location is defined in the MacroLanguage using the "getfolder( ResFolder )" statement.

Date: November 01, 2014 12:32PM

siria
The pre-74 pages (for KM1.7 and earlier) are still necessary

Yes, that's why I don't want to delete them. They must always be accessible. Just--one day--better organised :s

Do we have a list of macros that will work "natively" on 74? I realise this in itself would be a huge task. When you say "without changing anything" do you mean even the way of installing them?

Gordon.

Date: November 01, 2014 12:45PM

JamesD
Do you plan that at some point there will be a need to show some file locations which do not come as the default?

This had occurred to me. The Good News is that this is a Wiki, and while we don't want a free-for-all as Wikipedia suffers it, the Truth is that anyone can have a go. As long as we all remember the One Commandment ("Please do not write things which may make other people angry"), then we can all have fun smiling smiley

I had not known of the macro folders you mentioned, and I guess there are more than two of them. If I do a decent job, then the pattern in any page should be clear enough that people can make sensible edits.

And of course, "It's a Wiki. Perfection will come eventually."

Gordon.

Date: November 01, 2014 01:02PM

gordon451
Do we have a list of macros that will work "natively" on 74? I realise this in itself would be a huge task.

Not a single list or even several lists, I think. These are scattered over the forum posts, in the MacroLibrary, in the K-Meleon Extensions Central, and no one knows how many unique macros reside on users' hard drives. And now we also have addons.

A lot of old stuff may not work on 74, but it means testing each one to discover which ones will fail. Some quit working between 1.5.4 and 1.6 because we did not have a an updated utils.dll.

I have several macros for which I must maintain two versions.

Date: November 01, 2014 01:07PM

Gordon451

No, if you have a better look of the files, home is just at the same level as opt

By default :

/home/alain/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/K-Meleon/k-meleon.exe
is equal to
c\Program Files\K-Meleon\k-meleon.exe

and, with the way I use to install:

/opt/Program Files/K-Meleon\k-meleon.exe
is equal to
e:\Program Files\K-Meleon\k-meleon.exe

But don't forget that under wine, we must use windows paths, and under Linux, Linux paths.

You can also notice that :

c:\Program Files\K-Meleon\k-meleon.exe
is equal to
z:\home\alain\.wine\drive_c\Program Files\K-Meleon\k-meleon.exe

is-it clearest ?

A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2014 01:10PM by JujuLand.

Date: November 01, 2014 01:29PM

JujuLand
Gordon451
No, if you have a better look of the files, home is just at the same level as opt
A+

My bad. I had intended to rub out the "/home"...

...c:\Program Files\K-Meleon\k-meleon.exe
is equal to
z:\home\alain\.wine\drive_c\Program Files\K-Meleon\k-meleon.exe

I saw that. Interesting.

Do you do portable installs under Wine? It must be possible.

Gordon.

Date: November 01, 2014 01:32PM

JamesD
Not a single list or even several lists, I think. These are scattered...

I was afraid of that. sad smiley

Gordon.

Date: November 01, 2014 02:22PM

JamesD
Some quit working between 1.5.4 and 1.6 because we did not have a an updated utils.dll. I have several macros for which I must maintain two versions.

Yes, you know it and I do, but for Gordon perhaps a couple more details:
There are macros that will work only in 1.5 or newer (using "if" commands).
There are macros that will only work in 1.6, but not 1.7 or any other version (if a js-variable is returned by injectJS).
There are macros that only work in 1.6 or older, but not 1.7 (since 1.7 has a broken injectJS).
Some of those might still work in 1.7 after changing the main.kmm with the jsdoit-workaround, which the user would have to do himself, but not all.
Some work in 1.1 - 74.31, some in 1.1 - 74.24, some in 1.5 - 74.24 and perhaps 74.31, but no one has ever tested all.
There are macros that work in 74.24 but not in 74.31 (if JS was disabled at page load, and perhaps other reasons)

Most macros are simple kmm-files, nothing else, and many of those even just toggle a pref or more. If a macro doesn't use an xpi file, it is still simply dropped into the corresponding folders, as it's handled since years, whether it's KM74 or some ancient version.

The point is: this is not a yes-no block, and not even 74.xx is a simple yes-no case.
And as James pointed out, they are not even all in the wiki nicely collected together, but shattered everywhere.

I wouldn't even start there... The one thing that could be done, is keep the existing macros and extensions as they are, and make an extra list for those that are already tested with KM74.24, and another list for KM74.31
But from past experience I'd expect them being maintained only very loosely.

The one thing that is really NEW now in 74, are the xpi-addons.
Perhaps we should create a page specifically for FF-addons?

Date: November 01, 2014 03:16PM

siria
...The one thing that could be done, is keep the existing macros and extensions as they are, and make an extra list for those that are already tested with KM74.24, and another list for KM74.31
But from past experience I'd expect them being maintained only very loosely.

The one thing that is really NEW now in 74, are the xpi-addons.
Perhaps we should create a page specifically for FF-addons?

Yes.

I think one page for xpi, and another for FF. Or are they the same thing? But whatever, just generalised How-To pages, not macro descriptions. Descriptions belong on the download pages, the authors should write them.

Gordon.

Date: November 01, 2014 04:34PM

gordon451
Do you do portable installs under Wine? It must be possible.

I don't try it, but I think it's not possible like it's intended not to write to disk.

For a simple reason: Linux only run programs, or script which have 'execution right' set (chmod +x), and USB sticks are formated using FAT32 to allow to use it on all the systems, as Microsoft don't want to use ext4 or ext3 partitions.

So, it's impossible to set this flag, and to run it.

It's perhaps possible if the stick is formatted using ntfs partitions, as I think ntfs supports this flag, but I haven't tried it.

Another solution is possible, formatting USB stick using ext3 or ext4, but the advantage of the stick disappeared as Windows isn't able to read it. And also, wine 1.6 will have to be installed on host computer running Linux.

The last solution, is to bypass the fact not to write on the host system, and to have a launcher which copies the entire k-meleon folder, change the execution right, launch it and survey the end of K-Meleon execution to then remove the complete K-Meleon folder. It's surely possible, but a little ennoying. Better to use local browser smiling smiley

A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2014 04:35PM by JujuLand.

Date: November 02, 2014 03:18AM

JujuLand
For a simple reason: Linux only run programs, or script which have 'execution right' set (chmod +x), and USB sticks are formated using FAT32 to allow to use it on all the systems, as Microsoft don't want to use ext4 or ext3 partitions.

A+

Yes, I thought there might be something like that. Anything is possible, but at what cost?

OK, so we don't need to cater for portable installs in the WIne section. smiling smiley

Gordon.

Date: November 02, 2014 12:02PM

Just a little error in the folder page, kmtools isn't located under the profile, but under Program Files

For now, I located it in c:\Program Files, but I think it's better, when using E: for K-Meleon, to install kmtools also under E:\Program Files

The only change will be the content of mimetypes.rdf which must be updated to replace C:\ with E:\

A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2014 12:03PM by JujuLand.

Date: November 02, 2014 12:48PM

JujuLand
Just a little error in the folder page, kmtools isn't located under the profile, but under Program Files

A+

No worries, will fix. Ummm. We had kmtools located at

(C:\Application Data\K-Meleon)
. profiles.ini
. random-string.default (default profiles location)
. . . chrome
. . . kmtools
. . . . . Km-open (tool to open k-Meleon download files)
but now we should put it in K-Meleon-root?

I guess if you install in E:\, you won't install in C:\ ? I mean, you could, but why would you?

Gordon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2014 12:55PM by gordon451.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.