Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Youtube Support Ending
Posted by: jopower
Date: May 21, 2015 07:25AM

Everytime I get on Youtube with KM, I get a message saying it will stop supporting the old version of Firefox. Since the March KM download I have Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/24.0 K-Meleon/74.0 this appears to be a problem. FF is now version 38.0.1 and it is updated on this PC. However KM is still using the FF24 base. I really like KM, so what's in the development update works??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Youtube Support Ending
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: May 21, 2015 09:26PM

In the Announcements subforum you will find the K-meleon 75 RC3 version.

It is at one tiny step to be final.

K-meleon 75 RC 3 update 3 is stable and functional to use in the normal day usage. It uses GRE 31 ESR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 09:26PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: noalternative
Date: July 06, 2015 01:34PM

add this string, general.useragent.override to about:config

Paste this into the string box. That fixes it. Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:38.0.5) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0.5 K-Meleon/75.0. When you upgrade to a new version of kmeleon, you need to change the string to represent it.

You can also do something with site specific overrides, but firefox ended support for it in favor of an addon. I guess you can also add support through userscripts and stylesheets, but I don't know enough about them.

Both old versions of firefox and windows xp(Windows 5.1) in the useragent will probably create problems for the browser sniffer snobs. Eventually they will probably get picky about your version of flash.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 01:38PM by noalternative.

Posted by: siria
Date: September 05, 2015 02:48PM

ROFL - guess what?!
Just opened youtube.com with KM1.6, and surprised to find this message:

youtube with IE7-UA
Oops, your web browser is no longer supported.
YouTube works with a wide range of browsers. However, if you'd like to use many of our latest and greatest features, please upgrade to a modern, fully supported browser.

But no, it's not what you think! Accidentally I still had the IE7-Useragent active, and THAT one is outdated.
But because KM1.6 with it's (almost) native UA nearly never gets such "outdated browser" warnings, I just switched back to that normal one, reloaded the page - and fell off the chair laughing!

youtube with KM1.6-UA
You're awesome!
That's right! Your browser is up-to-date, which means you can use YouTube's latest features. Enjoy!

Just for fun then tried the fake Firefox 3.5.16 UA that was shipped with KM1.6, and sure enough, it was blocked!
Even the mouch younger Firefox21 is blocked!

KM74 with Gecko24 seems to work fine too btw - as long as there is NO FIREFOX included in the sent UA!

(Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-DE; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140105 K-Meleon/74.0)

Have noticed that before a couple times, older Firefoxes tend to be blocked on googles mega sites, while KM is still allowed.
Someone over there must have a heart for KM, or else it may have to do with that legal browser choice thing in IE, where KM is part of the selection. But whatever - I love it grinning smiley

IE9 is allowed yet, but gives this warning:
youtube with IE9 UA
Oops, your web browser will be unsupported soon.

Just for fun you can check it at this page if you like:
https://www.youtube.com/supported_browsers?next_url=%2F

with that UA (pref "general.useragent.override")
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101130 K-Meleon/1.6

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2015 02:57PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.