Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
will kmeleon continue to be developed?
Posted by: werty8763
Date: October 25, 2015 12:05PM

I love kmeleon, and it's my default browser and also my favorite browser as well.... smiling smiley
I just wanted to know if it will continue to be developed..... smiling smiley
Thanks in advance.... smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: will kmeleon continue to be developed?
Posted by: surfersan
Date: October 27, 2015 01:25AM

I just discovered K-Meleon today and want to thank the developers for this superfast browser which actually makes using the net enjoyable once again.

Sure hope they continue this project as I just cannot stomach going back in time and using klunky Firefox, Chrome or any of the other laggy memory hogs out there.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 27, 2015 08:21AM

Yes we sure hope so too, but as guenter mentioned here
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,136021,136022#msg-136022
the developer is only 1 person with restricted free time and no one knows the future.

Find it interesting reading here occasionally that KM is really faster as the big ones, which are supposed to be so ultrafast themselves, acc. to comparison tests in magazines (at least Chrome has that reputation). Makes me wonder more and more whether those may be VW-style tests, having nothing to do with real life :cool:

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Posted by: werty8763
Date: October 27, 2015 10:16AM

surfersan
I just discovered K-Meleon today and want to thank the developers for this superfast browser which actually makes using the net enjoyable once again.

Sure hope they continue this project as I just cannot stomach going back in time and using klunky Firefox, Chrome or any of the other laggy memory hogs out there.

Agreed.... smiling smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 27, 2015 11:13AM

siria

Find it interesting reading here occasionally that KM is really faster as the big ones, which are supposed to be so ultrafast themselves, acc. to comparison tests in magazines (at least Chrome has that reputation). Makes me wonder more and more whether those may be VW-style tests, having nothing to do with real life :cool:

IMHO these users are right - K-Meleon is significantly faster on their machines and with their surfing and PC use habits for certain common tasks. It is slower with other tasks but that is often below the level that humans commonly notice. I forgot the %age that we notice.

Tests for the fastest browser, JavaScript, startup etc. are normally run with lavishly equipped new machines running just the browser. And they are tested by professional under "clean" conditions. "Clean" no other apps running.

The findings are often limited to a comparable machine and a similar surfing behaviour.

Why? The average user does have an average machine. That has the average age, equipment and runs the average number of apps side by side.

When 1.6 came out several people here measured and found it was the fastest browser around. The someone with a really well equipped machine came and wrote it was slower than chrome...

He was right and so were we. grinning smiley

When professionals test how fast a browser fires up - they test 10 or more times in a row. The average user fires it up once or twice in a day.

Most modern browsers phone home once or more a day for updates etc. This can take some time. K-Meleon checks for updates once every other week - if checking is activated.

So the average users only notice the wait for the update check not the startup time proper. Which is something else.

Running other apps when K-Meleon starts up or runs can also influence findings. And can IMHO rig them in favour of K-Meleon because it is a native Windows app and the already started apps may have started and use dll that K-Meleon needs so that it improves subjective overall working performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2015 01:59PM by guenter.

Posted by: Oleg
Date: November 08, 2015 01:33PM

Hello everyone! New Russian KM user here.

I understand that the future of this project is quite undetermined, but there is one thing that really worries me. Mozilla has announced not so long ago that it will discontinue XUL completely. Does someone here have any info about how it could affect XULRunner, on which KM is based on? Is it gonna be possible to embed KM interface in post-XUL Gecko?

Posted by: Oleg_
Date: November 11, 2015 05:41PM
Date: November 22, 2015 04:24PM

Mozilla

Change your app to run through the stub provided by Firefox.

Many apps will continue to work as before by simply replacing "xulrunner.exe application" with "firefox -app application.ini".

Build XULRunner yourself.

1.) K-Meleon.exe is what drives our app. So K-Meleon is not affected. Its exe is able to run with any xulrunner or other GRE that has the same GRE (version number) for which that specific K-Meleon.exe was build.

2.) Dorian builds the GRE/Xulrunner runtime for K_Meleon himself anyway.

p.s. Only in the distant past did this project use GREs or components build by Mozilla.org. They were steppin stones when we users that lacked the knowledge to build a GRE had try to to update (as far back as 0.9). Later some users learned to build GRE and after some time were given the patches (by Dorian) to build updated GREs (late 1.5 or 1.6 times).

It was never as easy as just running the Xulrunner. The K-Meleon devs had a lot of work when Mozilla changed the GRE versions. The support for the MFCembed application code on which K-Meleon is based was half hearted most of the time. MFCembed was originally a code sample shipped with Microsoft Visual C 6. This MFCembed was a core that could embed and give basic internet service to an app. MS used IE core for it. And the MFCembed code was used for the Mozilla equivalent of MS IE core. MFC stands for Microsoft Foundation Class.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 07:09AM by guenter.

Posted by: Oleg_
Date: November 24, 2015 07:59PM

Thanks for such an interesting answer and info. I'm familiar with MFC & MSVC, so I understand everything. Was quite impressed actually how much performance & responsiveness could be achieved by just replacing XUL-based interface with WinAPI one. Firefox is quite bloated these days.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 24, 2015 08:03PM

Oleg,
welcome to our Russian KM team!

Буду рад видеть на нашем русском форуме!

Date: November 24, 2015 11:07PM

Oleg_
Thanks for such an interesting answer and info. I'm familiar with MFC & MSVC, so I understand everything. Was quite impressed actually how much performance & responsiveness could be achieved by just replacing XUL-based interface with WinAPI one. Firefox is quite bloated these days.

Then You understand more than me. grinning smiley

Mcf component contemorary to K-Meleon 0.9 is still in the net with some docu.
Though the 0.9 and its updates have had better performance and mfcembed chrome.

http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/control.htm

I partly disagree. Firefox XUL performance has much immproved - but it loses its time to phone home and check for updates. Yes the native widget interfaces are a boom.

I use K-Meleon for long and still gave ancient Firefox and K-Meleon binaries to compare. smiling smiley

Greetings to my K-Meleon comrades in St. Petersburg and Moskau area from Hannover, Germany

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2015 11:08PM by guenter.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 25, 2015 11:46AM

Grüße aus Russland, Hannover!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.