Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Today's Internet under Windows '95
Posted by: J.D. Castillo
Date: January 15, 2011 06:28PM

I have understood that K-Meleon is compatible with Windows '95. How I can see 
sites like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube under W95? I mean, since versions 
of Java and Flash for this OS are the outdated. If someone uses W95 please 
help. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Today's Internet under Windows '95
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 19, 2011 03:34PM

Hola, the oldest still used versions here are Windows 98 and Windows ME.

I had hoped that one of the Win98/ME users will answer.

This is the development part of the forum, dedicated to problems of the newest K-Meleon versions, I guess the Win98/ME users will not look here often.
Your chance to get enough attention and answers is bigger in General K-Meleon Forum. If You want I can move it there.

Java for Win 9x has reached the end of it live time. Is not supported by Oracle/sun anymore. You are redirected. But can reach the download links for older Java versions for legacy/older Windows versions.

Alternatively You can search & download the full/promotion download of Netscape 7.1 (about 30mb) that comes with an old Java engine & that is preconfigured for Mozilla browsers.

Flash is another but smaller problem. IMHO You can use the plugin versions intended for Windows 98 which are offered on the K-Meleon Extension Central.
Its a win32 application after all.

For many pages You have to set the UserAgentString to Firefox. Then they work.
Done in Tools menu.

Now the bad news.

Modern compilers do not support Win 9X - and modern programs are often compiled with compilers that need Penium or even newer CPUs. So You will not always get updated programs where modern features are present and old security bugs are fixed.

Even system update programs like kernelX might not be available for Windows 95.

Last not least. Even if You get all going You will find that Your system is very slow loading and rendering modern rich content pages.

You will need good patience and knowledge.

Look for old programs like win 95 light/lite. When win95 and its hardware was not fast enough anymore ppl tried to make Win95 lighter. Some of the pages with Windows 95 tips and tricks are still around. I just found a German/English one but there should be also some Spanish ones.

Greetings from De to Cl

guenter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 03:49PM by guenter.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: January 26, 2011 08:21AM

when it comes to YouTube FORGET WIN95!

read YouTube's system requirements here:
http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78358

General System Requirements:

Adobe Flash Player 10.0.22+ plug-in
Firefox 1.1+, Internet Explorer 7.0+, Safari 1.0+, Google Chrome, or Opera
Broadband connection with 500+ Kbps

PC Specific Requirements:

Platform: Windows 2000 or higher with latest updates installed
Processor: 500MHz or faster
RAM: 128MB or more
Video Card: at least 64MB of video memory
Sound Card: at least 16-bit

and I used to use a Win95 PC many years ago. got rid of it in summer of 2008.
now I'm using either WinXP SP3 (on my bedroom PC) or WinVista SP2 (on my mom's laptop). time to evolve and let go of ancient versions of Windows when given the chance to do so.

life is cruel sometimes for those using win95 in today's world.
it's like using an analog rotary phone in a cell phone/iphone era.

Even system update programs like kernelX might not be available for Windows 95.

that's right, guenter. KernelEx only supports Win98/WinME and does not function with Win95. Installing KernelEx under Win95 may wreck it for good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 08:23AM by 4td8s.

Posted by: siria
Date: January 26, 2011 08:58PM

(Funny, youtube videos run fine on my flash 9.x!)

(Funny, youtube videos run fine on my windows98se with latest updates (KernelEx)!)

(Youtube videos run also on my 8MB video RAM, but that's really the limit, must defrag it sometimes if 30+ browser tabs open)

tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 26, 2011 09:05PM

@4td8s, some ppl do not have the economic option to upgrade.
Unlike siria who used win98 by choice many ppl are stuck with old OS and hardware.
Like You were until 2008.

siria

(Funny, youtube videos run fine on my flash 9.x!)

(Funny, youtube videos run fine on my windows98se with latest updates (KernelEx)!)

(Youtube videos run also on my 8MB video RAM, but that's really the limit, must defrag it sometimes if 30+ browser tabs open)

tongue sticking out smiley

But it is hard to run new things on the old PCs - out of the box.

With an optimized system You can get pretty far but it needs much skill and optimizing/tweaking.

Many pages already require that You spoof an much newer OS or go Linux.

They tell You: We do not support Windows ME/98 tongue sticking out smiley

Example = yahoo.mail obsolete OS redirect page.

yahoo.mail

Looks like your operating system is incompatible.

Unfortunately, the all-new Yahoo! Mail doesn't yet run on your operating system. You can either switch to one we do support, or go back to Yahoo! Mail Classic.

If you want to use the all-new Yahoo! Mail...
You'll need to run one of these operating systems.

* Windows XP
* Windows 2000
* Mac OSX

Well K-Meleon does not betray Your OS if You do not want to be betrayed grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 09:40PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: January 26, 2011 10:51PM

Actually I've never gotten to see a page complaining about an "outdated OS" so far, too odd! That's the first time now, when reluctantly switching for a testing moment to "all new yahoo mail".

One reason for this may be because I prefer clear, clean, old-fashioned page versions anyway, if I have a choice, like yahoo "classic" smiling smiley Don't need all that gimmick stuff and bloated bells and whistles, only slows down everything, and seriously - what for?? The "simple" version does all I need, and much faster.

And the other reason is KernelEx itself! :O Noticed only recently that it actually switches the default User Agent to XP, if the browser is started in that compatibility mode :cool: Now I must fake my own user agent just to get the real OS and country declared, LOL!! grinning smiley

Posted by: caktus
Date: February 24, 2011 02:40PM

I'm with you old dogs still doing old tricks. I figure if it ain't broke don't mess with it. The only reason I'm using XP instead of ME on this machine is because XP came pre-installed on the cheapest computer I could find eleven years ago. But I'm still using the ME OS on my old Gateway which is upgraded to a whopping 384 MB of mem and old used parts.

In 1993 folks could not believe I was still driving my old 70 Ford Maverick which was practically held together with bailing wire and bubble-gum both inside and out. Come to think of it, my old Gateway is practically held together with bailing wire and bubble-gum but it still works.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: dugbugoffice2
Date: February 28, 2011 04:25AM

My site will help you! I run on Win ME, with Opera 11+ Sun java6+ etc.
All K-meleons work also.
http://www.angelfire.com/bug/dugbuglas2/OLDPC.html

I would delete .NET & Microsoft Java etc. Not secure!
To make new stuff work on old system use http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelex
Just secure your PC first!

Posted by: dugbugoffice2
Date: February 28, 2011 04:27AM

Note for Java6+ JRE. Just.....

To install that you will have to get the file "gdiplus.dll" From a down load site &
put in your "system" file then open an old java "jre-6u23-windows-i586"
It will crash. Then you go to your "Application Data" folder & go in to the "Sun" folder
& look for the "jre1.6.0_23" installer & run that. That will install the java.
After that open the "jre-6u24-windows-i586 +" in a zip file "7zip"
"Open inside" & look for the file "core.zip" then go to where you installed the old Java
& delete the files & replace the files with the "core.zip" files.
Next would be to get to a PC running XP, newer with the new Java "jre-6u24-windows-i586 +"
And zip the files "java.exe, javaw.exe, javaws.exe, deployJava1.dll, javacpl"
And put them where they belong on your old PC
That is it!

Posted by: NissanGTRFan
Date: March 30, 2013 09:46PM

Wait??? IE7.0 Or Higher No Thats Wrong Actually IE8.0 Or Higher Now
Because Youtube Stopped Supporting It A Few Weeks Ago. idk About Firefox 1.5 Or 2.0

Idk If Thats True Or Not??

Posted by: Bird
Date: November 13, 2013 04:14PM

Hello K-Meleon-Community,
I would like to know the situation of Windows 95 in the modern world too. Maybe I will describe my situation briefly.
I use Windows 98 since 14 years and I have a K-Meleon browser and the Firefox 2.0 on it. I was able to do everything with it, that I want (checking mails, searching artworks, downloading ressources for games, reading the news... well everything expect watching videos). I just discovered KernelEx and that gave my PC a "reborn", I installed a lot of new software on it, that was not meant to work on it, like Flash Player 10. I also thought of taking the newer Firefox 3.6.2, but it was a disater on my PC, because it was so much slower that Firefox 2.0. Now I can watch Youtube videos on my Windows 98 machine in 2013 with K-Meleon and Firefox 2.0. I only have a 400 MHz processor, so that's also below the system requirements for Youtube.

Is there any Windows 95 guy out there, who can try that out?

Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 13, 2013 08:15PM

I think the only way is to keep 98 and use K-Meleon 1.6 or 1.7 with KernelEx.

You can use tools like 98lite to delete unused components in order to make 98 consume less memory.

Also I recommend to download videos instead of viewing them online. This is more 'lightweight' way to use PC. Like real 98-geek you should know the most light video player for your system.

And the best way to easily download Youtube video is the PwnYouTube bookmarklet (already built-in K-Meleon Twin).

You can add it to your bookmarks from this page

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: November 21, 2013 09:29PM

Bird
Hello K-Meleon-Community,
I would like to know the situation of Windows 95 in the modern world too. Maybe I will describe my situation briefly.
I use Windows 98 since 14 years and I have a K-Meleon browser and the Firefox 2.0 on it. I was able to do everything with it, that I want (checking mails, searching artworks, downloading ressources for games, reading the news... well everything expect watching videos). I just discovered KernelEx and that gave my PC a "reborn", I installed a lot of new software on it, that was not meant to work on it, like Flash Player 10. I also thought of taking the newer Firefox 3.6.2, but it was a disater on my PC, because it was so much slower that Firefox 2.0. Now I can watch Youtube videos on my Windows 98 machine in 2013 with K-Meleon and Firefox 2.0. I only have a 400 MHz processor, so that's also below the system requirements for Youtube.

Is there any Windows 95 guy out there, who can try that out?

some versions of flash player 10 did work with win98 + kernelex but the 10.1 to 10.3 versions were problematic.
try viewing YT videos with the latest build of flash player 9.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.