Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Adblock
Posted by: KMfan2
Date: April 11, 2014 05:10AM

Hello!

I said taht i will give a tray to new KM. I am using today KM 1.8 (19). The speed is very very good (fastest browser ever tried). It opens all the sites (works well in Gmail, Yahoo Mail, facebook etc, the usual day by day sites). But:

1. Sometimes the flash crashes (mostly youtube videos). It is not such a big deal but is annoying.
2. The biggest problem is the advertisements ! I know that Adblock is not an option now, but what about Block Advertisement option? Can it be "updated" with some block lists (international lists) ? I see adblock.css and fanboy***.css files there. But how to update them (if posible) with new block list that i do not know.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adblock
Posted by: siria
Date: April 11, 2014 07:34AM

I'd just copy all new files together into one long css-file, name it adblock.css and replace the old one with it.

Date: April 11, 2014 05:03PM

Why didn't i think of that ? :s

I updated the adblock.css and fanboy***.css files in defaults>profile>chrome. Now, in some sites the ads are bloked, but in some aren;t.

Nevertheless, KM is BACK !!! If the flash problesm is solved, i can't ask for no more !

Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 11, 2014 07:57PM

Perhaps if you look in the error console for CSS errors, there will be a note about an incorrect method in the lists.

Posted by: siria
Date: April 11, 2014 09:22PM

KMfan2
I updated the adblock.css and fanboy***.css files in defaults>profile>chrome.

Hmm, but as far as I know the default folder only holds the templates for new profiles, so your new adblock files shouldn't be active that way, unless you created a new profile? Or copy them into the chrome folder of your current profile (Edit > Configuration > Profile directory)

Date: April 11, 2014 10:46PM

@ KMfan2

Could you post the additions that you made to the css file? I would like to try them and test the css structure as well.

Date: April 12, 2014 04:47AM

I've jinxed it !

When i restarted the PC, everything was back to normal! I think @siria is wright: the files should be in the profile folder, not in default folder !

I do not know if i did it right. So here is what i did:
1. I've updated adblock.css with https://easylist-msie.adblockplus.org/rolist+easylist.tpl ( I am from Romania ).

2. I've updated fanboy***.css with https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/fanboy-social.txt.

That worked on some sites, but not on all. I will give an example for the sites that it didn't worked: Link. Maybe i am doing something wrong.

Maybe there is a way to add a macro that finds the ads links in a page and sends them to the lists.

Edit. I've put the modified css files in profile folder. It is even worse: now it does not blocking nothing !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2014 04:53AM by KMfan2.

Date: April 12, 2014 11:49AM

I think the lists in the two links that you posted are not in CSS format. The sites in the lists are likely correct but they should be put in the required style for CSS code. Open EDIT - CONFIGURATION - ADD BLOCKING STYLESHEET in order to see how the CSS is coded.

Edit -
After more looking, I am no longer sure of the above statement. I did not find a fanboy list in my KM 74 so I looked back at my 1.6.0 beta 3 and found one. I have copied that to my chrome folder in my current profile. I must do some more looking and testing now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2014 12:39PM by JamesD.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.