Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
(KM75.1)There are too many ways to close tabs
Posted by: sendhelp
Date: April 17, 2016 03:42AM

I think that the close tab button, Preferences>Browsing>Tabbed Browsing>Tab Bar> ☑Show closing buttons on tab buttons, right click>close tab, CTRL+F4, CTRL+W, and Right Click>Toolbars>Menu then File>Close Tab are all great ways to close a tab, but I think that double clicking tabs to close them is excessive because you might close a tab on accident. Even if you don't want it and go to Preferences>Browsing>Tabbed Browsing>Tab Bar>Mouse Control, can only substitute it for showing the tab menu or opening a new tab. Please make an option in the next version of KM to make tabs ignore double clicks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: (KM75.1)There are too many ways to close tabs
Posted by: guenter
Date: April 17, 2016 09:01AM

AFAIR Close by double click is older and was a wish by users.

It is faster and more efficient (if You have few tabs open) and it does not require to hit a small target with the mouse. Which can be harder for visually impaired.

IMHO New users have to learn to not accidentally double click.
They can do reopen last closed tab. So there is no harm done.

Posted by: siria
Date: April 17, 2016 11:08AM

sendhelp
Please make an option in the next version of KM to make tabs ignore double clicks.

Or, in other words, you just mean there are too LITTLE options for double-click :cool:
One could argue about which default settings are best, but I agree that a "do nothing" option is missing. Because I use that myself since a bad mouse was "tattering" by itself, and it was also asked a few times in this forum already. So far one has to know or guess the trick: open about:config and find the pref "kmeleon.tabs.OnDoubleClick", then set it to some useless number (like 99).

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 17, 2016 01:24PM

Thx siria.

Sorry 2 sendhelp. I have neglected to be helpful.

It has been answered.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,108992

SoerenB's "-1" JS command means off

from

https://www.google.de/search?q=kmeleon.tabs.OnDoubleClick&num=100&client=kmeleon&gbv=2&sei=kIwTV7-xCYqSsgHIoaUo

Posted by: rodocop
Date: April 17, 2016 07:40PM

sendhelp,

there are ALREADY 4 options for double-click handling on tabbar - and 2 of them DON't close tabs. You need more?

'Open new tab' option works only on free space of tabbar so on the existing tabs it does exactly what you ask for - ignores your clicks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2016 07:42PM by rodocop.

Posted by: sendhelp
Date: April 19, 2016 05:38AM

@rodocop,
I don't want double click features taken out, it's just that I've gotten so used to pressing ctrl+t and ctrl+w to manage tabs that tab double click features are all lost on me and I end up accidentally closing my tabs because I'm so undisciplined to it.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: April 19, 2016 10:51PM

Just select other than default option and you'll never get catched.

Posted by: Voltaire
Date: April 27, 2016 08:45AM

Go to preferences > Tabbed Browsing > Tab Bar (2nd subpage): in the bottom part there is the option what to do on duble-click; btw: even before using KM I set it to "open new tab" on double-click what duplicates the current tab (you can also set that in the preferences). So no need to worry ...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.