Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
User guide
Posted by: mikeyww
Date: July 04, 2016 11:14AM

I have not seen any sort of consumer-friendly user guide that introduces K-Meleon and explains the basics, preferences, accelerator configuration, etc. Is there one? Is a new one needed?

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: User guide
Posted by: rodocop
Date: July 04, 2016 12:26PM

There are a lot of docs here on site in wiki format but yes - they aren't very user-friendly.

I think it's a good idea to create non-only-tech oriented guide and promo materials for K-Meleon. I've even started The K-Meleon Place (in my signature) for this purpose but it was supposed to be the community-driven Knowledge Base as I haven't enough resources to fill it with new content.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: July 04, 2016 05:07PM

This is not a user's guide, but just some data that can be run locally for persons who need to reference often but may be on metered connections.

Local Documents:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,139183,139183#msg-139183

The Macro Language
The Command ID's
Some Plugin Commands
Command Line Options
My take on Cookie Management
Some guidelines for authors of macros.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: July 04, 2016 07:01PM

Great job, James!

And what about little lessons of macrocoding with practical examples?

There are a number of non-obvious places in macrolanguage guide.
Sometimes the description is very minimal, hard to understand the real usage without examples.

Posted by: siria
Date: July 04, 2016 08:21PM

mikeyww
I have not seen any sort of consumer-friendly user guide that introduces K-Meleon and explains the basics, preferences, accelerator configuration, etc. Is there one? Is a new one needed?

Sadly not. Sorry :-/ Only an extremely outdated one, which once was begun but never got finished because no one had enough time.
The closest you can get today is the FAQ, which is only partially outdated but holds some tips you probably wouldn't guess yourself:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/FAQ

In general it's best to just browse through the various settings pages:
Edit/Preferences (F2) (note the right side can contain sub-pages too)
Edit/Configuration submenu
Tools/ Privacy and Mouse Accelerators
And right-click on the toolbar buttons, some contain a handy submenu!
New: about:addons (must be typed into urlbar)

Yet more Mozilla settings can be found on page "about:about", but this Mozilla stuff is not fully adjusted to KM yet, only HALF working. Still worth a try if searching for something specific.

As for keyboard shortcuts, you get the intended user configuration by
Edit/Config/Accelerators
Although the "how to" inside is slightly outdated too. Since KM74 a lot of things have been changed.
Actually most of us prefer to edit the big default file "accels.cfg" with all default shortcuts directly, it's just easier. You find it with a file search inside the KM program folder.
IMPORTANT: make a backup copy of it first!
Make that with all files you edit...

Most available commands for shortcuts etc. can be found in "commands.html" (Edit/Config/Commands List)
Guess they still have their old version names there, but those still work too, while the native macros etc. already use another syntax. But today both command versions should still work as shortcuts or in macros.

Some more commands can be found in the macro definition files, *.kmm in the macros folder. In native macros or in user macros. Macro commands take some more experience to figure out what is what and how to write it into accels.cfg. If needed, look at the "setmenu" lines, and find the command names near the end of line. Syntax is another matter...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2016 08:36PM by siria.

Date: July 05, 2016 11:36AM

rodocop
And what about little lessons of macrocoding with practical examples?

I got started, but age and infirmities have slowed the process.

Load the Macro Language page in Local Documents and the try "find in page". Use 'Examples' and Match case and Highlight. I think this will find the ones that I have done. That text is in blue.

Pick the five most needed macro statements for which there is not any present example, post them here, and I will try to do some code for them.

For accuracy, I try to run actual code and then just use the part about the particular statement in the example. As you can see, I use comments "#" within the code to help explain items.

Note: I can post code in Extensions section of forum only. Guenter was kind enough to add the code in Development.

Posted by: siria
Date: July 05, 2016 11:17PM

Must admit have never tried it myself, but occasionally saw it mentioned:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/KmmTraining

Too old to contain the new 7X commands, but am just glad the old ones mostly still work too - the only ones I'm familiar with ;-) Bad memory and always trying to keep my macros cross-version isn't likely to improve my skills with the new ones.

Yeah the wiki could most definitely use a few SIMPLE examples. Was usually rather lost when not finding a command in an already finished macro as demo example. The worst was this $ARG-thing - took me FOREVER to understand what it means because there wasn't ANY example to be found. And when it FINALLY clicked realized this thing is baby easy and extremely helpful!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2016 11:18PM by siria.

Date: July 06, 2016 11:34AM

siria

I had completely forgotten about that one. It is quite old, having been done in 2008 - 2009. I think it likely needs a review and update just to check for spelling errors. readibility, and completness. I have already seen at least one item that needs a fix.

It is open ended in that additional chapters could be added.

Now, I have two systems that need work. Anyone have a idea which one to do first.

Local Documents has, I think, everything except the new function statement from KM76. Traning has only a small subset of the total.

Unfortunate as it is, I only know English. I cannot provide anything with other languages.

Posted by: mikeyww
Date: July 13, 2016 10:37PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Mike

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.