Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
portableapps update: KM-Goanna76.2
Posted by: siria
Date: January 13, 2020 01:37AM

Brandnew! Announced here:
https://portableapps.com/news/2020-01-12--k-meleon-portable-76.2G-2020-01-04-released
KM-Goanna 76.2, weekly version inside 2020-01-04

But what a crazy timing!! Just a few days ago a user had requested a portable version. And I had explained that all KM-versions since forever are simply switched to "portable" mode by creating an empty file "profile.ini" in its program folder, which will cause the Profile folders to be created inside, not outside. But that this means only "profile-portable", not "stealth-portable". Guess he even mentioned that portableapps still has KM75.1, but that's absolutely outdated (although still the last "official" stable version), so somehow I immediately forgot about it again. Only YESTERDAY suddenly remembered, that he can perhaps just exchange the App folder inside, and took a look at the site and yes - it was still KM75.1!
And ALSO since just YESTERDAY my old KM1.6 can finally show the whole internet again, not just 50%, the rest was blocked with those pesky "no cipher overlap" errors, due to Google's campaigning against the free internet. But not anymore! Since yesterday my do-it-yourself updated KM1.6 can show TLS1.2 encrypted pages too - and that includes twitter. So a moment ago I finally visited it again - and first thing I stumble over is this portableapps announcement of KMG76.2! Too crazy, LOL!! grinning smiley
Now I wonder, if there's a reason why it was suddenly updated, perhaps that was a user request too?

Edit 2020-07-07:
https://portableapps.com/node/62163
Important info by JT Haller:

We package the current version as posted by the publisher and have for 4 years now. It's contained in K-MeleonPortable\App\K-Meleon. The only change is where the default profile is kept via the profile.ini file so it's contained within the Data directory for easy backups and resets. It is otherwise unmodified. Our launcher adjusts paths within the extensions.ini, extensions.json, and prefs.js as well as cleaning up some local directories left behind. The link we include in the app and on the app's homepage for donating to K-Meleon is their official one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 02:50PM by siria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: portableapps update: KM-Goanna76.2
Posted by: Goatmilk
Date: July 04, 2020 07:21AM

I think I've downloaded that PortableApps version and have a problem with it. I run my browsers with Sandboxie and it always worked fine - but the new 76.2 PortableApps K-Meleon now wants to immediately recover tons of data files. If I delete them in the Sandbox and close the browser, the darn thing starts complaining it wasn't closed properly. It's a hassle, and since I'm a total idiot in such things, I have no idea how to to make it stop that nonsense. I don't even know why it does that. None of the old K-Meleons ever did that, neither did Firefox or Palemoon. And I mean, the whole point of using a Sandbox is that the browser WON'T keep a ton of files from every session, isn't it? The only files I ever recover are those I happened to download intentionally, but certainly not a ton of cryptic data files where I don't know what they are.

A difference to my old 76RC2 K-Meleon is that the old one simply has a k-meleon.exe file to start (like all K-Meleon versions before it) and the new 76.2 starts with K-MeleonPortable.exe.

I got it because my last K-Meleon 76RC2 was getting a bit long in the tooth and wouldn't display some things properly anymore (and don't get me started about all that crap it shows on YouTube etc. where you have to click through five pages of ads or agreements or whatever every time) So I've changed to Palemoon which works as fine as K-Meleon used to do, but I wanted another K-Meleon again. Funny enough, the 76RC2 is still my default browser, even though I use Palemoon 99% of the time. Since I use only portable browsers, I just waited for the first new portable K-Meleon that crossed my way, which happened to be the PortableApps version.

Should I try the normal version from this site and hope to turn it into a portable? Do I just have to create a profile folder? I would have to run an installation first, wouldI? Could I install it under timefreeze and then simply move it around with its new profile folder and hope it sticks?

Thanks

Some edits, if they help:
I run Windows 7, 32bit
I never install anything in the program folder - portable progs have their own folder, as do all the non-portable progs I have. Sole exceptions Shadow Defender, Classic Shell and whatever came with some hardware.
I never update my Windows. It gets installed with nlite and that's that.
I don't have any antivirus. I have either Shadow Defender or old Timefreeze on when going online and the browsers sit in a sandbox. When the computer goes offline, it restarts to its 'before-it-went-online' version.
I run a couple of virus scanners every one or two weeks and use CCleaner daily. A bit odd, I guess, but it works for me.

Oh, and I hate updates. I usually run my old stuff until it falls apart or doesn't work anymore. Believe it or not, I still have PhotoShop 3.05 and Mailwasher 1.33 ... grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2020 07:51AM by Goatmilk.

Posted by: siria
Date: July 06, 2020 02:13AM

Whoa - seven years! And still in the boat, although never seen you here anymore with any probs, amazing smiling smiley

Goatmilk
I think I've downloaded that PortableApps version and have a problem with it. I run my browsers with Sandboxie and it always worked fine - but the new 76.2 PortableApps K-Meleon now wants to immediately recover tons of data files. If I delete them in the Sandbox and close the browser, the darn thing starts complaining it wasn't closed properly. It's a hassle

That's strange, or not, no idea since I can't test myself. Which data files, can you give more details? Just for curiosity ;-)

I got it because my last K-Meleon 76RC2 was getting a bit long in the tooth and wouldn't display some things properly anymore (and don't get me started about all that crap it shows on YouTube etc. where you have to click through five pages of ads or agreements or whatever every time) So I've changed to Palemoon which works as fine as K-Meleon used to do, but I wanted another K-Meleon again.

If your Palemoon version is 28, the engine in newest KG76.2 is still older, the same as in roytams NewMoon27, forked from PM27. This one still gets tons of updates from various fork developers, so the engine is more advanced as native PM27, but not as far as PM28. Lately more and more people are now reporting that not all "supermodern" sites work fully anymore. The javascript and CSS parts are getting a bit longer in the tooth as you put it ;-) But still a lot better as in old KM76RC.

============= KM PORTABLE

A difference to my old 76RC2 K-Meleon is that the old one simply has a k-meleon.exe file to start (like all K-Meleon versions before it) and the new 76.2 starts with K-MeleonPortable.exe.

Oh if that's the only prob, the solution is simple. Just try the newest K-Meleon build from this forum, KM-Goanna76.2, currently updated almost weekly by roytam1:
=> http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/list.php?19

He keeps importing thousands of updates from other browser developers to the Palemoon27/Goanna engine inside KM-Goanna, but all the outer GUI-stuff, the K-Meleon shell itself, with macros, skins, menus etc, is still almost exactly the same as in old 76RC2. So in theory installation should also still work the same way, just unzip?

And since decades (KM1.5 or older?) K-Meleon has a built-in PORTABLE option, although a very simple one: it's only about profile location.
When K-Meleon starts and finds an (empty) file named "profile.ini" in its root folder, it will use profile folders INSIDE, and if that file does not exist, KM will use profile folders OUTSIDE, in the system's normal location for user app data.
Both locations are independant from each other, no automatic moving or copying or deleting.
But this portable mode is very basic, not "stealth", it may leave some traces in the system, mostly added by modern systems themselves. Like Recent Files or such, no idea.

That's the difference to special portableapps versions:
they try to run programs in a stealth mode if possible, by adding a wrapper around them, trying to avoid ANY traces left in a foreign guest system. When you look inside the portable apps folder, digging deeper, it contains an "App" folder, and if you look inside - THERE the genuine programs are hiding. Just wrapped up ;-)

============= PRO + useragents

In the past you mentioned you used rodocop special builds. He also made a PRO version with KG76.2 inside. As usual enhanced with additional extensions and plugins, but also with crucial basic functions added, like a MENU to open Addon configuration etc. (just a tiny macro but still missing in normal builds!), Just updating those builds lags a bit behind roytam's supersonic outer space speed ;-)

My one big gripe with the PRO builds is that they are modified to kill Mozilla's brilliant native useragent method (which can also handle site-specific useragents since KM74, just sadly wasn't initiated for years until roytam1 finally got it fixed). But replacing this native method with a different one leaves PRO users completely confused why that useragent stuff "doesn't work" anymore or acts "weird", at any rate not doing what expected. And when seeking help in forums, they only get explained over and over Mozillas method again, no one seems to have a clue of that alternative (IMO less brilliant) method in PRO, and yet worse, no one even is aware that UA things are different there. If it were added by a normal macro or a normal xpi-addon it could simply be removed, but it's a modification baked deep into omni.ja, sigh. So far I've only found a little pref trick to put it to "sleep", then the native method "seems" to kick in again. But without complete removal the other one is still somehow involved, and I distrust possible side-effects.
On the other hand all "normal" KM-builds don't contain ANY useragents macro anymore since about five years (macro is merely needed to create a menu), which is not much better either - sigh too.

For normal builds I recommand my macro useragents2018, based on much loved ancient KM-macro for global UA setting, PLUS Goanna's different Firefox-compat-pref, PLUS menulines to easier manage native site-specific useragent prefs:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,143898
(and as usual, have long since started a big update but it grew and grew and never got finished, grmpf)

============= YOUTUBE:

Am afraid that needs an adblocker, if javascript is enabled, but that's a little prob - see further down...
(Personally it doesn't work in my old system anyway, so I just visit with blocked JS, get no ads anywhere, and try to download the videos to disk for playing locally)

Extra tip: last week they killed the popular Classic view for good, but luckily clever people found some ways to restore it. Not fully, only partly, and no one knows how long it will work, perhaps only a few days/weeks. But for the moment, those are the main tips:

1) set useragent for DOMAIN youtube to googlebot (in about:config)
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)
This mostly restores classic layout, but catch:
YT accounts are not working anymore, login not possible they say.

2) Alternatively, single videos and trending list can also get Classic layout back by adding an url-key:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxxx&disable_polymer=1
https://www.youtube.com/feed/trending/?disable_polymer=1

They say Google now also broke the "Show more" button for video descriptions in slightly older browsers, like NM27. Descriptions remain hidden unless disabling all styles.
A workaround is to add this snippet to profile /chrome/userContent.css:
@-moz-document domain(youtube.com) {
#watch-description-text {height: auto !important; max-height: none !important;}
}

Tips from here:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/181184-yt-may-not-work-on-old-browsers-anymore-starting-march-2020/#comments

=============

As for ADBLOCKING, that's a science and mystery since KM7X, needing experts to explain sad smiley
Not much clue myself since I can't use it (old computer), so keep forgetting that complicated stuff again, but the forum has several LONG discussion and explanation topics, also for alternative Firefox-ish addons. They are shattered around, the "Basic" adblock.dll (BAcool smiley started with this one:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,135175
Top-expert for all sorts of Adblock addons seems Hermes, but rarely visits now.

Just quickly the main chaos of KM-out-of-BOX, from memory:
- KM76 does come with a native adblock plugin (dll, Basic Adblock, BAB), which shows up at installation
- but sadly Dorian didn't have enough time to finish it, 5 years ago, so it's still lacking a GUI/MENU!
- users need to import LISTS to make it work, otherwise it blocks nothing, just a bit hard without any hints
- the configuration in F2 does say something about adblocking, except that means a completely different thing, the ancient method using profile /chrome/adblock.css (which still works too! Except the default file is also still a tiny 8kB list from 2006, incl. too many false positives...)
- to increase confusion, the default PROFILE comes with an AdblockPlus folder - except that ABP (xpi) is NOT installed
- in forum discussions people usually write "ABP" (xpi addon) even if they mean the basic "BAB" dll-plugin
- a MENU for native BAB adblock.dll must be created by a forum macro, by JamesD, named adblockcontrols.7z, or Adblockplugin.kmm. Not sure what the last version was - 2.7? Download was broken after awhile, guess rodocop posted it again. When I once tried it, the button creation had a little syntax bug, or so I thought, but no one mentioned any probs, so perhaps not.

Hope this helps a bit smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2020 08:16PM by siria.

Posted by: roman
Date: July 06, 2020 10:53AM

Does the browser have a real portable version? All I know is garbage in the Windows system partition and registry.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: July 07, 2020 07:03PM

roman
Does the browser have a real portable version? All I know is garbage in the Windows system partition and registry.

The real portable version is setting up profiles.ini as told in FAQ page.

AFAIK, there isn't any garbage on Windows system partition nor registry.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.