Building K-Meleon from scratch
Posted by: Christophe
Date: August 23, 2000 05:04AM

Well, i've heard that a lot of people are having problems building k-meleon so here is some guidelines instructions :

- unpack the KMeleon source distrib in something like c:\projects

Build Mozilla:
- get the Mozilla M17 milestone source code (available on ftp.mozilla.org somewhere, look for it)
- unpack mozilla source code into c:\projects\mozilla\ (so all the mozilla code is in c:\projects\mozilla\mozilla)
- unpack mozilla windows build tools into c:\projects\mozilla\buildtools
- install activeperl and cygnus stuff as described here -> http://mozilla.org/build/win32.html.
Be sure to have Cygnus installed in c:\projects\mozilla\cygnus\
- go to c:\projects\mozilla and create a file called build.bat that'll look like this :
set MOZ_BITS=32
rem set MOZ_DEBUG=1
set MOZ_SRC=c:\projects\mozilla
set MOZ_TOOLS=c:\projects\mozilla\cygnus
set OS_TARGET=WINNT
set WINOS=%OS_TARGET%
set PATH=%PATH%;%MOZ_TOOLS%\bin
set _MSC_VER=1200
set DISABLE_TESTS=1
rem set MOZ_DISABLE_MNG=1
rem set MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1
cd buildtools\windows
call install
cd ..\..\mozilla
nmake /f client.mak build_all

Execute it, be sure it runs fine and wait for A LONG TIME (the mozilla build takes about 40 minutes on my Celeron P550)

Building K-Meleon:
- Open the K-Meleon.dsw project in c:\projects\K-Meleon
- Set the Output file name in the Link tab of the K-Meleon project to c:\projects\mozilla\mozilla\win32_o.obj\bin
- Build it
- Run it and it should work smiling smiley

Well, i hope i didn't forget anything, if so, please tell me the corrections smiling smiley

What to do:
- We should provide a zip snapshot of the c:\projects\mozilla\mozilla\dist so you don't have to build the mozilla stuff. Also, a debug snapshot would be REALLY helpful for debugging k-meleon. Could someone provide this to me ? smiling smiley

-christophe

RE: Building K-Meleon from scratch
Posted by: Tiger
Date: August 27, 2000 03:54AM

Hey, I succeefully build mozilla. I can provide the zip snapshot of mozilla/dist. However, when I try to build K-Meleon, it is complaining about cannot open file "bin/bcgcb473staticds.lib".
I looked into the directory and found "bcgcb473staticd.lib" and
"bcgcb473staticus.lib". Will you be able to help me? Thanks!

Posted by: antonio
Date: August 27, 2000 08:42AM

sssss

Posted by: ben
Date: August 27, 2000 04:27PM

Nie znam angielskiego

Posted by: Erhan Bolattürk
Date: August 28, 2000 01:16PM

I'm a developer. I interest to develop this things like you.

Thanks

Posted by: BKS
Date: September 05, 2000 09:13PM

I, for one, would really appreciate Mozilla snapshots (both M17 and current (daily/M18)), since I have neither the disk space nor the bandwidth to pull down the Mozilla tree.

-- BKS

Posted by: Tak
Date: September 11, 2000 04:41AM

Hello, nice to see the code.

Thank you.

Tak

Posted by: Dorian "Radon" Okrucinski
Date: September 21, 2000 04:43PM

Niezle! Moj personalny browser, z tym morzna robic magike!

Posted by: Denis Cote
Date: October 01, 2000 03:14PM

Hi Christophe,

Altough, I have follow your directive to the letter, it seems that is not going well on my system. there is still a lot of missing files reported by the compiler and linker.

You know what you should do, If I were you, and I will as soon as I have everything on hand, you should take the source of what you need and embed it into your project, that will solve all those bugs from our unix like counterpart and that will give us full access and control of who, what, when, and how over the browser.

Can you provide me a list of what you need exactly from Mozilla, obviously you do not need that all chebang, and I will make sure it is extracted and intrapolleted where it belongs, in the project as a sub component.

Best regards,
Denis Cote

Posted by: pat
Date: October 05, 2000 09:00PM

maybe its just me, but it would seem the optimal thing would be to have the gecko engine separate enough from mozilla itself that to build k-meleon, you could simply grab and build the gecko source rather than all of mozilla itself. not only would this make building faster, but i think it would probably lend itself to making the whole build process a lot simpler. i was under the impression that the gecko engine would be basically its own thing-- not tied directly to mozilla itself. is this not the case or is building the gecko source by itself complicated by something i dont know of?

Posted by: Chris Kelly
Date: November 05, 2000 05:56PM

has anyone gotten it to build with M18? I had to play with the VC6 file include options to hunt down all of the header files necessary, but then I got several errors including ones where functions are no longer parts of those classes, or the function doesn't take that many/ that few parameters. could these have all been changes from M17 to M18? perhaps I am referencing the wrong source files.... Christophe, (or anyone else who has gotten it to build with M18) what, if any, are your include options in VC (tools->options-directories tab)

Posted by: fsofti
Date: November 28, 2000 03:29PM

super!

Posted by: Prize
Date: November 28, 2000 07:19PM

Is there anywhere else to get the source from? I can't download the version from the site.

Posted by: Poepel
Date: December 11, 2000 01:31AM

why cant someone build kmeleon on BeOS???

Posted by: Poepel
Date: December 11, 2000 01:34AM

I want to build K-meleon to BeOS, so if anyone kan provide me the source of K-meleon (link=down) and the zip with the precompiled mozilla things.....

where's the gecko code???
Posted by: Jim
Date: October 22, 2002 08:11PM

I was wondering the same thing as Pat.

Isnt the gecko source available separately from mozilla. It would seem simpler just to get the Gecko code and build K-meleon or whatever instead of having to get mozilla code.

Re: Building K-Meleon from scratch
Posted by: Stefan
Date: October 22, 2002 08:17PM

Um, I think the K-Mel code is pretty windows specific. They are gaining speed by trading cross OS compability.

I think Using Mozilla or Phoenix is probably a much better place to use as base, unless you want to do an embedded version of Gecko just for Beos from scratch.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.