Development
Posted by: TCB
Date: January 12, 2001 07:18AM

Is anyone (apart from Christophe) doing any active development with Kmeleon? I know sources are available at Source Forge, but they are still not available for development via the Source Forge CVS (afaik). Is anyone else hosting current patches for the source, or other builds?

Christophe mentioned that he was having problems uploading the source to CVS on Source Forge...has anyone else tried? If anyone wanted to start a new Kmeleon project on Source Forge with the current (.2.1) sources, and then later hand admin access over to Christophe, it may work out for the best for all of us.

I know there are a lot of features everyone would like to see in Kmeleon, and I'm happy to hack a few in myself, but we really need to get the coordinated, becasue I don't feel like debugging something that may have already been fixed. All in all, I'm really itching to get some work done with this, Christophe posted the source over a month ago, and still nothing new has been done with it. This project is one of the best Windows Open Source movements I've ever seen, as it is pretty obvious that Win users are sorely lacking a small, fast, free browser, and I'd like to hope that Kmeleon may be an answer.

I hope this sparks some conversation, and maybe even a bit of development.

-- TCB

Other important Kmeleon issues.
Date: January 12, 2001 07:28AM

Another few thoughts:

I know many of the Kmeleon users may not be interested in coding for the project, but there are tons of other things that need to be done:

I think a comprehensive FAQ concerning important Kmeleon information is very important. Big topics should be: upgrading Kmeleon via Mozilla nightly builds, how to build the mozilla nightlies without debug information to make an even faster browser, how to change certain kmeleon features (such as the start page) via the registry and the config files, and I'm sure there are many others...

A complete list of current bugs (or even a bugzilla server)

A list of desired features (a la Sebastian Smith: http://kmeleon.org/forum/read.php?f=2&i=127&t=127 )

Perhaps a good list of user submitted hints or tweaks (crude stuff that may later be merged into the FAQ)

-- TCB

RE: Development
Posted by: Eldeis
Date: January 12, 2001 07:32AM

I'm all in favor of that idea.

Posted by: Brian
Date: January 13, 2001 04:38AM

I've done a few things to the code mainly concerning cleaning it up and adding a few things. I sent my changes to cristophe, but I didn't get a reply back...

Posted by: Sebastian Späth
Date: January 13, 2001 04:01PM

Mmmh, I sent one patch to him, and he answered the next day, telling me he'd incorporate it into the next version. So sometimes, he does seem to listen (and answer :-)

Date: January 13, 2001 09:26PM

I don't have any doubts that Christophe is still actively working on this project, and I'm sure he's grateful for any patches or other work, but I think the problem is that it's all being done privately. With the numbert of improvements and bugfixes we still have, the top priority needs to be setting up a CVS server (at sourcerforge, or even here at kmeleon.org)

Once we have a public server with the most current sources and perhaps even some newer builds, it's will be easier for all of us to bug test and develop, because right now we're pretty much working in the dark, since Christophe doesn't regularly post what he's already fixed or currently working. This project is really too large to be developed the way it is now, there are a lot of important things (as I mentioned in my earlier posts) that we should be doing, to take some of the pressure off of Christophe, and make is easeir for all of use to enjoy Kmeleon.

-- TCB

Posted by: Sebastian Spaeth
Date: January 13, 2001 10:40PM

Well, the CVS server on sourceforge works and the source is in there. I am sure you can get write access if you want to supply regularly patches. But there hasn't been any change since the 0.21 code has been put in, so I wonder where development takes place as well.

Sebastian

Posted by: Sebastian Späth
Date: January 14, 2001 01:14AM

OK, Christophe gave me write access to the SF.net CVS which will work tomorrow. I'll start by submitting my tiny patch and see if it works out. If yes, I am willing to take other patches as well if they are reasonable small and clear to understand.
I am not going to take major overhauls or architecture additions/restructures as I don't feel competent enough to handle these.
I might publish patches here in advance so enough people can try them out before they get applied.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.