Development Update
Posted by: Andrew
Date: May 07, 2002 02:18PM

Just a note on where we are at:

We still have one Mozilla bug that is holding us up:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=113007

If you haven't voted for that yet, please do so. Please do not spam the bugs with "K-Meleon needs this fixed!" They already know that.

Jeff has also checked in Mozilla 1.0 code updates into CVS so the next release will be running on Mozilla 1.0.

For beta testers, please continue to test macros and bookmarks and post any issues to the development list Both Mark and Rob feel like those are ready to roll for 0.7.

Re: Development Update
Posted by: Big_Berny
Date: May 07, 2002 05:36PM

Can you finally mail me the Link, where I can download the beta, please!!!???

Big_Berny@web.de

Posted by: Al.
Date: May 08, 2002 12:40AM

Big_Berny, if you get onto the developers mailing list, then you'll find the download link.
Developers mailing list:
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/kmeleon-dev
You can then post bug reports onto it (which, after all, is what beta-testing is all about).

Posted by: Sam
Date: May 24, 2002 01:50PM

Vote early, vote often (just kidding, vote once only1). This bug seems to need more attention...

Posted by: Andy
Date: May 25, 2002 10:04PM

If the purpose is to increase the number of votes for bug 113007, perhaps this development update should be placed under the "News" section of the web site rather than buried down here in the forums. While I understand that putting dev updates in the "News" section has been avoided because information can be found here in the forums and that visitors will click into the forum if they're truly interested in kmeleon, the need for action -- in this case, votes -- is something deserving of every visitor's attention.

Posted by: Blight
Date: May 25, 2002 10:10PM

I believe this bug was fixed in RC3.

Posted by: Mark
Date: May 26, 2002 03:00AM

That's just a trick to get someone to put news on the front page, isn't it, Andy? ;-)

Posted by: Simon
Date: May 26, 2002 02:03PM

>I believe this bug was fixed in RC3.

No. Bugzilla still lists this bug as NEW.

Posted by: Blight
Date: May 28, 2002 10:59PM

I believe it was on the RC2 release announcement that implied it was fixed

Posted by: thegoldenear
Date: May 29, 2002 05:50AM

"the need for action -- in this case, votes -- is something deserving of every visitor's attention."

the need for action is *not* to click on a button and move on. that will not make the difference. Free Software is a participatory culture. the meaning of the need for action on this issue is to contribute code toward the bug. that is what will make the difference here. please get your vision into perspective.

Posted by: Andy
Date: May 31, 2002 01:27PM

not every visitor can contribute code toward the bug. in fact, it's unlikely the bug will be fixed without attention from the mozilla developers themselves otherwise the kmeleon team would've already squashed it. besides, "participatory culture" does not mean that only coders need apply -- participation means that every interested party can take part in the process of developing a piece of software be it pounding out code or asking for additional effort in a particular area (in this case, bug 113007).

Posted by: anonymou
Date: June 06, 2002 08:45PM

galeon 1.2.0 -- gecko rendering engine ... went to the bug page, tried to reproduce the bug, and things worked as expected. i'm not running 1.0 code, galeon 1.2.0 is using one of the rc's if i recall correctly ...

Date: June 07, 2002 08:13AM

Andy. I know what you're saying, and often agree (I spend a few hours helping better Mozilla each day but I cannot code), but in this case, where someone said "the need for action -- in this case, votes...", I believe

VOTING WILL NOT FIX THIS BUG

THE ACTION THIS BUG NEEDS IS CODING

you will disempower people if you convince them they can make a difference when they cannot. and in this case VOTING WILL NOT FIX THIS BUG

Posted by: sven
Date: June 07, 2002 11:45AM

let me see... thegoldenear - are you coder? if yes then stop chatting and fix it. if not - then you ain't gonna make any difference just posting here so you might as well not do it. either way your posts don't help.

that's your logic applied.

Date: June 07, 2002 10:44PM

>I spend a few hours helping better Mozilla each day but I cannot code.

Wow, aren't you special, or perhaps full of yourself ;-)

Date: June 11, 2002 07:55AM

"besides, "participatory culture" does not mean that only coders need apply"

"I know what you're saying, and often agree (I spend a few hours helping better Mozilla each day but I cannot code)"

"let me see... thegoldenear - are you coder? if yes then stop chatting and fix it."
can you read? I said plainly that I couldn't

"if not - then you ain't gonna make any difference just posting here"
thats your opinion. I wouldn't try to make the point if I didn't think it were helpful. its put-downs like yours that "don't help", I was making constructive criticism. you should think a little harder and realise that not everything said in criticism is attacking your whole world view.

"Wow, aren't you special, or perhaps full of yourself"
I said "I spend a few hours helping better Mozilla each day" as an example that of-course I agreed with Andy's comment about participatory culture not being just for coders, that I didn't code but still managed to find a space help. in no way was it an egotistical statement. you're just looking for an excuse to spew your vitriol

your replies have childishly slagged me off when I was trying to make a serious point; I'll not be reading this forum again. I don't see how it can be atall productive when instead of sensibly debating a subject you have to reduce the conversation to cynical fundamentalist-religious-like ranting

Posted by: ______________________________
Date: June 11, 2002 01:21PM

"I don't see how it can be atall productive when instead of sensibly debating a subject you have to reduce the conversation to cynical fundamentalist-religious-like ranting"

Yessiree! That nails it.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: June 11, 2002 01:47PM

Kids, stop fighting. We don't have Moms monitoring these forums but from the last half-dozen posts, maybe we need to do that.

OK, voting by itself does not solve anything. But it does let the module owner know that there is a great deal of interest in getting the problem fixed. If people can't do anything more than voting, than that amount of participation does help a little bit. Obviously, the real solution will involve coding but I don't think ANY of us here should discourage anyone from participating, whether it be in Mozilla or K-Meleon.

Andrew

Posted by: sven
Date: June 11, 2002 02:26PM

People don't get emotional over things they don't care about. So thats good news, I guess. At least we got that much here smiling smiley

Posted by: rmn
Date: June 12, 2002 03:16AM

> Kids, stop fighting. We don't have Moms monitoring these forums but from the last half-dozen posts, maybe we need to do that.

Yes, we need some 'Moms' to watch what their 'kids' say in this forum. Especially when the kids start talking in rude languages or fighting with the children next door. And seeing that this discussion has become a fight, well....... Mom!

(Heh. Yes, I think we have to recruit moderators for the forum.)

Date: June 12, 2002 03:26AM

>you're just looking for an excuse to spew your vitriol

I'm not looking for any such outlet, however I am sorry if I burst the balloon you floated in on ;-)

Posted by: Simon Kellett
Date: June 14, 2002 12:27PM

>galeon 1.2.0 -- gecko rendering engine ... went to the bug page, tried to reproduce >the bug, and things worked as expected. i'm not running 1.0 code, galeon 1.2.0 is >using one of the rc's if i recall correctly ...

I am new to this GeCko stuff: but I think there are 2 ways of using GeCko: there is the "normal" version and the embedded. IIRC Galeon uses the "normal" one: i.e. you first have to install Mozilla, and then Galeon will "borrow" GeCko from it. But K-Meleon uses the embedded version paCked together with the browser in a single download. And this is the version one with the bug in.

Regards, Simon

Posted by: old joe
Date: June 15, 2002 02:37AM

I voted for the bug.
I only voted once, because I figured the same person voting for the bug 5 times
does not carry the same weight as 5 different people voting.

I predict that once K- meleon .7 does get out it will gain a big following so that
any future problems K-melleon has will get more attention one way or the other,
ie with .7 Kmeleon will have " arrived".

Until then read Siddhartha, if it does not give you insights in the art of patience
it is at least still a good read.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.