Beta installation in alternate directory?
Posted by: David
Date: May 25, 2002 10:11PM

I hesitate to post this, because I know the Beta releases aren't really for public consumption, and there's (understandably) little patience for ignorant people who tinker with them. Alas, my programming experience is all 12+ years old and is mostly C (not ++) under Unix and Intel assembler under MSDOS, so I guess I mostly fall into the "ignorant" category.

Still, I decided to take a swing at the new 6.5 in the hopes of at least helping with the bug-swatting process. I joined the developers' list and tried loading the 11 May beta into a new directory, c:\program files\KM-beta.

I guess I did something wrong. The installer filled up its dialog box with a long list of lines consisting of just "wait..." -- I mean ~long~ -- and didn't seem to install any files. After several minutes, I killed the process. Was I too hasty in killing it, or is this beta unable to load anywhere but in the default directory?

Again, apologies for my ignorance, and thanks to anyone who can offer a suggestion.

Re: Beta installation in alternate directory?
Posted by: po
Date: May 25, 2002 11:35PM

<shrug> i've just been installing to c:\K-meleon, which works fine, but i haven't tried having two installations at once... maybe there's some conflict when the installer tries to write to the registry? you could try removing any existing k-melon registry entries first, since i don't think k-meleon really keeps anything very important there. otherwise, maybe someone has some experience having two installations, and can help... it may help to know what platform you're using? </shrug>

maybe i'll try installing the next beta alongside the current one, for fun... smiling smiley

Posted by: Mark
Date: May 26, 2002 03:07AM

I have three different versions running in three different directories at the moment. So they certainly don't mind living together.

It sounds like a problem with the installer, though. A bunch of "wait..." lines sounds like it's broken to me. I don't know. Did you try installing again? Rebooting?

Posted by: David
Date: May 27, 2002 04:01AM

Got it. Shut down the KM0.6 loader. Duh. <rattles head>

One wouldn't think it would matter in the case of an installation to a different directory, and without the loader; but once I shut down the loader, the 0.65B installation proceeded normally.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.