Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
What a joke!
Posted by: blabla
Date: June 19, 2002 05:55AM

I have to say that after reading these forums with all the hu,,,bla,,people upset about the next release of K,,developers in a nice way trying to reply to all the crap i hear in here,,everyone talking about small and fast,,some browsers,"even fits on a floppy",,Mozilla 1 is out,,and opera has spyware,,and so on and so forth.I wonder whats the deal?,,This is 2002 I thought everyone has at least 40gigs of HD space,,whats the deal with small and fast? Seems if ya need a browser small enough to fit on a floppy you may consider upgrading your PC,,and grab the kickbut Mozilla 1 "Big-Lizard" if ya are hung up on a geko type browser.And as far as Opera having spyware initially,,so what get rid of the spyware with Adaware,,I don't worry about spyware anyway they only target people with money to spend anyway,And Opera might as well be free too cause I'm sure everyone knows how to get a crack for it from a search on http://astalavista.box.sk/ .And as far as all the unrest of this little Kmeleon browsers next release goes why get so bothered by it when the next release will be cause you know your only going to play with it a week or 2 before ya get tired of it and out will pop your old IE safely tucked away right down there in your quick launch bar :-).And the last thing is whats all this about this and that browser is not w3c html compatable,,heck i like IE's approach to take someones crappy html code and make it readiable too,,because face it not everyone will make there webpages w3c html compatable cause thats the facts of life and will allways be.Now to close,,I know that everyone can't wait to try the new Kmeleon hoping to find that one browser on the planet that will be better than or that you would like better than IE,,fact of life #2 is it just won't ever happen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What a joke!
Posted by: Zeiram
Date: June 19, 2002 10:54AM

I won't start to feed the troll, but there's one or two points that I want to correct here, based on my personal experience. I work as a computer engineer, so my computer has an important role in my life. Nevertheless, my computer specs are as follows: Pentium 133MHz, 48Mb of RAM, 8Gb of hard drive space. So it's 2002, but I have a low tech computer... and if I still want to do some "real" work with it, I can't permit myself to run some bloated software for web-surfing. Hence, small and fast are a major point for this. And I know I'm not the only one to have such low-techs computers. A recent Slashdot poll showed that the majority of Slashdot readers had computers whose CPU speed is 300MHz or less. Not everybody can afford a new comp every two or three years (or, as is my case, prefer spending their money on other things than a new computer).

I won't comment on cracking software or removing (ad|spy)ware. As for the standards, they are part of what protect our freedom, but I won't tell anymore now on this subject.

The last thing I want to comment on is this assumption: " you know your only going to play with it a week or 2 before ya get tired of it and out will pop your old IE safely tucked away right down there in your quick launch bar". K-M has been my main browser since its version 0.2. At that time, many things were broken (particularly downloading). Nevertheless, it became my main browser and still is today. I won't ever go back to IE (sorry, but I don't want to use a browser which crashes my whole system when it encounters a CSS tag it doesn't like). I do to many things at the same time to find this allowable.

One last question to you blabla: what's your point in posting this besides trolling?

Best wishes,

Zeiram

Posted by: Andrew
Date: June 19, 2002 10:54AM

Yawn! Was there a reason for all of this ramblng on?

Date: June 19, 2002 10:56AM

Oops! Zeiram, I'm sure you know that wasn't directed at you but the first post. You must have beat me to the submit button.
smiling smiley

Posted by: blabla
Date: June 19, 2002 03:17PM

>Zeiram
"One last question to you blabla: what's your point in posting this besides trolling?"
===========
All points were made as above,,and I don't mind trolls either.Oh and your so nice,,so Best wishes right back to ya and then some.:-) <Thats reverse psychology>
===========

Andrew
>Yawn! Was there a reason for all of this ramblng on?

Yes,,,simply because I can..So you can go back to sleep now,,someone will wake you when the next realease of Kmeleon is out.Oh yea,,
sleep is a chance to dream..so pleasant dreams..

Date: June 19, 2002 03:58PM

So you were just posting to hear yourself talk? Because the rest of the points really have no relevance here.

Posted by: Peter B
Date: June 19, 2002 07:42PM

I volunteered in a private school computer lab. Let's just say the machines were out of date. This was before I knew about K-Meleon, but the principle applies: I remember a particular 32 meg Pentium 166. It ran Windows 98SE. In addition the students were expected to run programs like Photoshop on it. There was no money for a RAM upgrade (while it accepted SDRAM, it didn't like the new stuff out there anyway).

My solution was to run 98Lite using its most radical setting, which involved a return to the Windows 95 desktop and a complete removal of all the pre-loaded Internet Explorer elements. For a browser, I substituted Opera (had I known about K-Meleon, I would have used it).

Several things happened: The disk thrashing stopped. The computer no longer crashed when you ran anything. Even Photoshop worked. The computer became the fastest booting machine in the lab, eclipsing a PIII 800 running Windows ME. Kids stopping fighting with each other not to use the machine.

All this by removing Internet Explorer. I leave Internet Explorer on my home machines; Britannica and Virtual Globe requires it. Still, I keep the "features" that Internet Explorer adds to my desktop turned off. I learned that Windows 98 is a nice, compact, undemanding OS, provided you keep Microsoft's browser off the system.

Posted by: Al.
Date: June 19, 2002 09:57PM

Author: ThatDude (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)
Author: blabla (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)

You know I noticed the style of typing straight off the bat, this is just "ThatDude" sneeking back into the forums under another guise. And of course how can we forget how ThatDude posted all those messages about how he had had enough waiting for the new release of K-Meleon, and he was going back to IE. Did you get bored with IE after "playing with it for a week or two" ThatDude?

Anyways, for the uninitiated, here is a link to one of ThatDude's gems:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=2&i=562&t=562

Posted by: David
Date: June 19, 2002 10:11PM

The best way to send a troll packing is to ignore him. Is there a way to close this thread?

Posted by: ol'joe
Date: June 20, 2002 01:31AM

hi to troll
Opera isn't spyware, the free version is adware.
I am sorry but I can't help you with the problems you are having with IE.
I think I have used IE a total of 2 times .
It was so long ago, I don't even remember what it looks like.

I eventually reinstalled Winders w/o IE and it's freinds MSN, Exchange,
Internet Mail and News, as well as all MS Networking products except Tcp/IP.

bye to troll

Posted by: ThatDudeBlaBla Whatever
Date: June 20, 2002 06:36AM

>
Author: Al. (---.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: 06-19-02 17:57

Author: ThatDude (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)
Author: blabla (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)
==================
Well Al, I will have to say that your not at all like Andrew,,at least your awake,and alert...
>Al
Did you get bored with IE after "playing with it for a week or two" ThatDude?
=============
Well certainly not,,I use IE as a permenent tool,,however I do get bored sometimes and surf around looking for some new software releases to play with.
Just curious as to how the KM is coming along,,I will chances are try the new KM if and when it ever gets released,,its been 7 monts since the last release.I would'nt trade My IE in on any browser out there though..I have tried about all of them,,I tried the Moz 1,,but I don't care for it,,something about it I don't like,,I think Opera is better,,but not enough to make it my default browser..I think what catches attention here is this forum,,it tends to draw one back to the site just to read all the goings on,,I have relaxed about when or if KM will be released though,,Like you said I just snuck back in,,people tend to pop back in on forums for some reason,,curiousity or whatever.Take care,,and keep those replys rolling.
I'll be back,,Unless otherwise.:-)

Posted by: Stephen
Date: June 21, 2002 04:44PM

Dont' you children have something better to do then waste space and time on this site with idiotic chatter? Geez, its free! Quit complaining like spoiled children and maybe direct your energies to help improving K-Meleon. Look past the superficial!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.