Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Posted by: Your Name
Date: July 14, 2002 10:18PM

Any ETA for .7? I know we are in the testing phase... how far along are we?

Just impatient... I mean curious smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 0.7
Posted by: Andrew
Date: July 14, 2002 10:57PM

No ETA yet. We're still getting bug reports back on the beta so we'll have to see how much work is involved in fixing those.

Posted by: Your Name
Date: July 15, 2002 10:30AM

OK. Thanks.

Posted by: LookitUpIP
Date: July 15, 2002 06:07PM

>Your Name

You can count on at least another half a year,,really!
I vote we change the name to S-naileon,,hehe,,:-).
Do I have a 2nd vote,,LOL...

Posted by: Al.
Date: July 15, 2002 11:34PM

Oh honestly ThatDude, give it up. If you don't like waiting, then move on. Oh wait, you tried that yet still you keep coming back. ;-)

As the show-stopping embedded Mozilla bugs have been sorted out, then it really won't be that much longer before 0.7 is released, just give them time to beta test the latest version properly.

Posted by: ThatDude
Date: July 16, 2002 02:17AM

Sure whats a little wait,,LOL,,But when its released where will I go when I get bored?
Though I support Open Source, and consider myself a Social Democrat (I'm American), when I hear comments like these it reminds me I'd rather pay for software first, rather than be at the mercy and "good graces" of many of the people that develop Open Source to throw me a bone.

Granted, there are problems inherent in proprietary, commercially available software (as opposed to open, "free" software.) On the other hand, as a consumer of commercial software, I have power. If I pay for something, I have the right to demand quality and standards; that the software does what I want, how I want (at least in theory. But hey, it's better than Open Source. I have no recourse at all. I guess I could become a programmer, but hey, most of us have lives...) With Open Source, as a user I have no right to criticize (constructively or otherwise), nor have I any right to expect or demand anything. These kind of arguements do not cast Open Source in a favorable light. It is why people like me (the majority, if you stop and think about it) can never support OS over commercial software. To do so, both as a user and a consumer of the product, would take away our power in the relationship. People like you have proven time and again that you will abuse and misuse your power when there's a power imbalance, and people like me will have to suffer the consequences (at least in the short term. Ultimately in time your own actions would come back on *you* too...)

Posted by: rmn
Date: July 16, 2002 10:16AM

> ... and people like me will have to suffer the consequences

You won't be suffering if you just move on and use another software at once.

Date: July 16, 2002 10:48AM

ThatDude,

That's pretty hiilarious that you think you have any power over Microsoft and their software. You as an individual have zero power over MS or its software. On the other hand, in open source software, an individual can have a tremendous amount of influence. Of course, the person who is helpful and constructive in their criticisms tends to get a better response than the person who is obnoxious and provides no helpful input. Which one are you?

Andrew

Date: July 16, 2002 01:24PM

Andrew>
the person who is helpful and constructive in their criticisms tends to get a better response than the person who is obnoxious and provides no helpful input. Which one are you?
>
ThatDude ="obnoxious"
Man I can't code at all,,so I'm just waiting on the "bone" to get tossed

Andrew>
That's pretty hiilarious that you think you have any power over Microsoft and their software.
>
I did'nt notice I said the word Microsoft in the above statement..Excludie MS,,they are the boss,,they toss bones too!.

Posted by: der bric
Date: July 16, 2002 02:34PM

whats the problem, dude... if you cant wait, get another browser and stop annoying those who want to wait smiling smiley

if the dev's think its too early for a release, then you just have to believe them... I prefer a stable release over a rushed and buggy release...

"On the other hand, as a consumer of commercial software, I have power. If I pay for something, I have the right to demand quality and standards"
yeah, you have the right, but if they listen to you is another thing :p

Date: July 16, 2002 11:31PM

Well really its just that the S-Naileon browser team are taking for F...... ever to get the show on the road,,I have no great expectations of the browser,,I just want to play with it a bit and see how it turns out,,I'm looking at the memory footprint and if its not any better than 06 when I run it I want even bother to test it any further and out the door it will go,,Really at this point I don't even give a sh.. if they ever release it frankly. I'm just cruzing my bookmarks and drop in this forum for a peek..I am a MSIE freak my self anyway..would'nt take nuttin for my IE,,lol,,
I keep up with going ons is all,,right now I'm running the beta version of IE which was leaked out V 6.0.2800.1067 which is really super fast,,can't wait on the final release v7. can be found at
http://www.iexbeta.com/
I'm running the beta leaked out version of WIN2kSP3 its rocking..beta of course,,
which can be found at any of these sites below along with WINXP SP1 beta of course if ya like playing around with betas,,I have for years.
http://www.xtechnet.net/index.php
http://www.windowsxp.nu/
http://www.driverheaven.net/
http://msbetas.net/
http://www.mybeta.org/
<><><><><><><>><><><><><><><>
So as ya can see I like playing around with all this beta crap,,and will test drive the S-Naileon too if these slow people would ever get they're sh.. together..
For heavens sake I think they could've coded A entire OS in the time its taking these guys to code this little 1 1/2 meg browser,,And I don't give a F... what anybody has to say about it,,they are way sucking on the development.Hell with em,,feed um fish,,, with the're sarcastic remarks.Troll this and smartass that,,here troll on this...heres the midle finger if ya don't like it,,
I think thats all I got to say about that,,,,

Date: July 17, 2002 01:30AM

ThatDude,

Too bad Billy Gates and the million monkeys at MS still haven't figured out how to create a pop-up blocker or a way to open links in background or properly render pages according to web standards or any of the other handy features that K-Meleon provides as a very beta beta. So on your way to the rest of your trolling sites with your wonderful IE. It's been nice having you visit.

Andrew

Date: July 17, 2002 02:37AM

Andrew,,,hell with you chump,,Talk to my foot,,You just wished you could come even near having the slightest chance to be one of the monkeys that work for MS,,or could even make a 10th of what those monkeys make programing for Billy Gates,,dream on...,,who cares about links that open in the background,,every body wants tabs and S-naileon don't have them either,,I personaly could care less about links that open in the BG or tabs either,,how ever I enjoy the hell out of the fact that IE can read all the pages even the ones that are not w3c compliant,,I think that is great,, IE shows all pages real good even pages that are'nt web standard,,S-Naileon can't do that ,,and you need to come down to reality,,if you think everyone is going to make web pages that conform to the w3c stupid web standards...that will never ever happen,,and thats one of the main reasons IE has the edge on all browsers,,IE simply lets the user see it all in nice perspective,,,even your crappy html coding would look good in IE,,so If I were you I would'nt start whining about what IE can't do,,you need to be concerned with what S-Naileon can do..and even this newest release will not compete with IE's ability to display webpages at there best.Its like having a team that allways wins,,and you wonder why,,its because IE cheats at displaying webpages to look great,,they simply make webpages display superior..and until one day when all these other browsers come on off that w3c bullsh.. standards crap,, IE will continue to rule,,so shut up Andrew and go code or something and hurry up and get the S-Naileon out here for all to see,,and time will tell.Oh and its been nice your coming this way,,I thought you was asleep.
Good Day!

Date: July 17, 2002 02:39AM

PS
I'm the troll,,please feed me,,or I will go packing,,hehehehe....

Date: July 17, 2002 03:00AM

I'll never get to be one of Billy's monkeys? Yeah, like I care.

As beta as K-Meleon is, it's still miles better than IE whatever. You claim that K-Meleon doesn't render web pages the way IE does. Big deal. I've seen IE render plenty of pages ways that they shouldn't be rendered. There are plenty of pages that IE can'r render properly, despite your claim. So both browsers have their flaws in that department. Anything else in IE worth having? Nope, not that I've seen. You can stick with your big, security hole ridden browser. I'll stick with K-meleon, thank you very much,

Date: July 17, 2002 04:27AM

Well naturaly I would expect you to say all that,,but we really know.
Its really all a matter of opinion,,Like some like chevys and some like fords,,

Andrew>..You can stick with your big, security hole ridden browser.

well I intend to thank you very much!,,lol..:p.
And as far as security hole ridden IE,,at least ya can get a security update as needed,,and not have to wait a year until the next release to get one..cause security holes will accur regularly as hackers are constantly finding new ways to hack a browser,,especialy the top one out there.I'm sure S-Naileon has its security,bugs that will ocur.
I really did'nt want to go into the pros and cons.What really sets my a.. on fire is a flame about 3ft. off the ground, :-] ,,And when I do come here to check on
S-Naileon I read all these post with jerks like you trying to be a sarcastic smartass.I notice there is only 2 ppl that I have noticed have a nice attitude that are part of the goings on with S-Naileon,,and your not one of them,,I know for a fact you enjoy feeding the trolls,,thats really the only reason you even look at these post so you can find some post to make a smartass remark against..
Your not about this browser,,your about hate and discontent
And I see no further point in talking to you,,good bye

Posted by: Erick
Date: July 17, 2002 06:26AM

Dude (no, not ThatDude), just let it go. It's not worth getting worked up over a sorry little troll who can't clearly construct a complete sentence of more than five words. For what it's worth, Microsoft tried to recruit ME once, and you my friend are ten times the developer I am. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Kidman
Date: July 17, 2002 09:41AM

> if you think everyone is going to make web pages that conform to the w3c stupid web standards...that will never ever happen

if ppl wouldn't follow standards, nothing would work. if every ISP would modify it's network protocols or everybody would define it's own HTTP headers you won't see anything or won't get anything to work. it's all about standards...and helping non-standards to work will bring the whole thing to the edge in quite a while...

"If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer"

and if you got that sloppy attitude at your work as well...
(I doubt your are an accounting troll...the only working trolls I saw so far and I doubt you ARE atucally working winking smiley

Posted by: gargaMONK
Date: July 17, 2002 01:28PM

thatdude's commentary has clearly defined his purpose here. He is here to try to make life annoying for anyone who can't give him a new .xyz version NOW. This means that either he is deeply unsatisfied with other browser's and is anxious to get it (but embarassed at his lack of control over the situation), or he is merely here because he enjoy's the attention he gets upsetting others by heckling. Either way, the best way to deal with him would probably be to just not respond to his posts (wherever they may be) and converse as if only other's were speaking. Eventually he will see that his post are not getting him the desired results, and will either stop or become very bored. Whether he downloads .7 or not may tell what his purpose is, it really doesn't matter.

Cage the MSonkeys anyone?

lovingly yours,

gargaMONK

Date: July 17, 2002 02:17PM

well, I have to agree with ThatDude about the IE stuff... I've tested and used tons of browsers, but no one can't display pages that well like IE does... IE displays crap-coded as well as standard compliant pages, I cant remember a page that wasnt displayed properly... Only those immature "M$ sux" people search and search and search for reasons to bitch at IE... and about the security holes: does anyone here know anyone who was ever hacked due to a security hole in IE?? heh smiling smiley and other browsers have just as much security holes as IE, probably even more. but hackers only care about the "Big Players" and dont want to waste their time with searching for holes in Mozilla, Opera etc...

and the "IE not standard compliant" stuff is also nonsense... 99% of all internet users dont even know what the W3C is winking smiley they want to see coloured scrollbars and filter effects and dont care about standard compliance...

dont get me wrong, I use K-Meleon all the time, I only disrespect those immature people who hate and bitch at IE just because it's a Microsoft Product...

Date: July 17, 2002 02:57PM

Actually, I have seen many pages break in IE. The only fault of the page designers was that they were actually trying to follow the W3C standards. Again, as I said before, all browsers have display issues. No browser, even IE, gets all pages right.

I haven't seen a computer "hacked" due to IE. But I've seen all kinds of lesser problems caused by IE's lack of security. I'll be glad to outline them if you are interested. I don't buy the idea that hackers don't look for holes in other browsers. They look for holes EVERYWHERE. It's just that IE's integration into the OS makes it a much easier target and much harder to secure.

As far as standards, I agree that most users don't know the difference. But I can tell you that people with disabilities who depend on pages that are accessible know the difference. Here in the US, the government is going to require that sites be accessible and the best way to achieve that is by following the standards. That won't affect all sites but the movement is already underway towards adopting the standards for accessability.

Obviously, if we are using K-Meleon, we are working on Windows. I have issues with some things that MS does and I think it is fair to point out the shortcomings in IE and Windows. That doesn't make me or anyone else who voices criticism as MS-haters. Why does everyone have to love MS and IE and Windows? Is criticism not allowed?

Posted by: Nat
Date: July 17, 2002 04:10PM

Of course it isn't! Sheesh.

Date: July 17, 2002 04:14PM

as long as it's constructive... but most MS-Haters post day for day the same, immature "Micro$ux" crap and I'm a little sick and bored of it, thats all smiling smiley

Date: July 17, 2002 05:04PM

Andrew >
I haven't seen a computer "hacked" due to IE. But I've seen all kinds of lesser problems caused by IE's lack of security. I'll be glad to outline them if you are interested.
>
No Andrew, like I said you don't need to be concerned with IE,,just quit whining like a kid,,What I think people would be more glad for you to OUTLINE is
S-Naileon;s lack of security,,hehe,,your funny! (Go ahead and OUTLINE),bet your gonna say theres not any,,hehe,,I know..
You can easily find the security holes for IE but I guarantee ya you can't search and find anything security related info to S-Naileon because 99.999 percent of the security related topics you would find have never heard of S-Naileon.So all the security issues in S-Naileon will go unnoticed by the public that use S-Naileon unless your super speedy developers tell and warn and issue a fix for it.I'm sure based on the development here that could take quite a while,,so in the meantime using S-Naileon one could just be a sitting duck and never know it..LOL..
I think what all this bullshit boils down to here is the fact that S-Naileon is such a drag as far as dev.Its probably as updated as your front page news section,,
You say way back a long time ago S-Naileon will be released based
on the moz 09,,,hell they're way pass that and going into Alpha 1.01 what in the hell.
People like me get pissed and go away and don't come back for months,,and after being away so long and come back here knowing that S-Naileon 7 has been released and ready to dl,,just to find that it STILL is not ready and to go reading through these forums just to see that you are still at your usual posting smartass sarcastic remarks to some people that ask a question really piss's me off,,hell yea I'm pissed,,I think the slow ass development reall realy sucks and based on that I'm sure the browser will to,,just like you and your attitude.
.|..
You know the funny thing overall with me is I know when I get the S-Naileon and fire it up and open my task manager and see how much memory its using compared to others,,that will be enough for me and it will be uninstalled and deleted,,plug in this and plugin that and still won't end up with a worth a @!#$ browser..To tell ya the truth if I was to want to use a alternate browser other than IE (not likely) I would use Opera.A crack is available for opera and addaware will get rid of the little add thingy.
But I know all these non IE browsers are not for everyone,,just those who don't mind missing out on some features and need minimal browsing experience.
So have a nice Day!
Yours Truly.

Date: July 17, 2002 05:51PM

K-Meleon does have some potential security holes:

* "File - Open" can allow users to access the file system. Same with "Save Page as" and the "Edit" option in Favorites. Of course, you can disable access to all of those with a few simple changes.

* Macros might provide some scripting possibilities. I haven't seen any reported but that might be an issue.

That's about it. I've run K-Meleon on a dozen public computers for over a year and it has never been successfully hacked or damaged. Sure wish I could say the same thing about IE.

As far as the code, the next release of K-Meleon will be based on the code as it is current in Mozilla. We've been updating our code to keep up with there code.

As far as my attitude, you are the only one who I have ever given any comment that could be construed as "smartass sarcastic". As far as I'm concerned you got what you were asking for and deserved. I put up with your incoherent crap for as long as I could and then I responded to the garbage that you spew out in volumes. You'll note that I still responded to your questions here in the hope that someone, obviously not you, will benefit from them. You really need to get a life.

Posted by: Julian
Date: July 17, 2002 06:34PM

Huh huh, he says 'S-Naileon'. What a comedy genius. Almost as witty as all those jokers who talk about 'Nutscrape', 'Internet Exploiter' and 'Fagzilla'. And being afraid that some of us didn't get his 'brilliant' moment the first time he repeats it again and again. "S-Naleon. S-NAILEON. Get it? GET IT?" (Yep, we did - and it wasn't even entertaining the first time.)

Posted by: BlitzkriegKat
Date: July 17, 2002 11:38PM

That Dude's elongated bitching is, for me, kinda amusing and irritating at the same time. Oh well... still makes for some good ol'fashioned entertainment!

Date: July 18, 2002 01:18AM

>Julian,,,huh huh,huh huh,huh huh,huh huh,huh huh,huh huh. get it..
lose some of your weight or they will have to operate,,huh huh huh huh huh huh.

that dude
Posted by: Harvey
Date: July 18, 2002 01:55AM

There should be some mechanism to ban irritating trolls. This exists in all moderated groups. If all they can contribute is the same wise ass posts over and over they should be done away with.

Posted by: Someone
Date: July 18, 2002 05:01AM

Heh, about that security hole @!#$. I have gotten a trojan from a website because of some crap security hole in IE (and the fact that I had the proxomitron, an ad filter disabled). And now I have a trojan installed on my computer and I have no idea what it is doing now. So yes, security holes in IE create wayyy to many problems. Yes, I have seen pages break in IE. The thing is that I feel with all the resources that microsoft has, why in the hell can they not make a quality product, like the Opera browser? Or an efficient windows XP? Or an efficient windows shell (their are replacements to the windows shell and they blow it out of the water, like AfterStep for example).

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.