Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Mozila 1.2a is out
Posted by: ThatDude
Date: September 14, 2002 05:26PM

And we were told K 7 was to be based on 0.97 mozilla.Oh things have changed since a year ago I forgot.
But I will say that the Mozilla 1.2a is so darn fast.
They must have a dev team that actually works on Mozilla!

Yawn...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mozila 1.2a is out
Posted by: Jason Foss
Date: September 14, 2002 06:29PM

They must have a dev team that gets paid from Netscape . . .

Posted by: Al.
Date: September 14, 2002 11:57PM

Hmmm, ThatDude flame-baiting as per usual. You mustn't have much to do ThatDude if you keep returning to these forums (despite the constant "I'm outta here's". So now you have IE6.0 + Mozilla 1.2alpha, you certainly don't need K-Meleon. ;-)

btw ThatDude, some other guy beat you to the punch with the 'Mozilla 1.2a is out!!! Whoa, K-Meleon must be dead" announcement. It still didn't cut the mustard ;-)

Yawn...
Zzzzzzzzzz.....

Date: September 15, 2002 12:18AM

Wonder what he is going to do when 0.7 comes out?

Date: September 15, 2002 02:34AM

"Wonder what he is going to do when 0.7 comes out?"

From what I can recall of ThatDude's past postings, I believe he was originally griping about the memory usage (not to be confused with resource usage) of version 0.6, and basically he's sweating over the release of 0.7 to see if it is just as memory intensive? Then apparently he's going to ditch it quick smart if it's still the same. But knowing ThatDude, he's probably changed his mind on that issue, especially if he's now using Mozilla, because as everyone knows, Mozilla is a larger memory-hog than K-Meleon will ever be, mainly due to the XUL interface it's built upon. Man it sucks up the memory. The memory specs usually recommended for Mozilla are 64megs+, preferably 128megs, whereas K-Meleon's modest requirements are 32megs. Always has been.
Anyways, I beleieve from what I've recently read on the dev's mailing list, it won't be long before 0.7 RC1 is out. It may be based on either Gecko v1.0.1, or v1.1 (both being the latest stable releases of Gecko). v1.2a is still only alpha code, so that won't be in it. ThatDude and cohorts can go truck that business elsewhere!

btw, ThatDude, just in case you're reading this (and I know you will)

yawn....
ZzZzZzZzzzzzzzz....

Posted by: thisdude
Date: September 15, 2002 11:33AM

it won't be long before 0.7 RC1 is out? yeh, sure, still have to wait 1-2 year when it's out and before that there might be also mozilla version 2.0 out there. I used k-meleon before, but lack of updates I have started to use mozilla and I can tell you that it is the best browser of the world, much faster than k-meleon.

Good bye k-meleon

Date: September 15, 2002 11:42AM

"Good bye k-meleon"

Do we dare to dream?

Date: September 16, 2002 01:57AM

"it won't be long before 0.7 RC1 is out? yeh, sure, still have to wait 1-2 year when it's out and before that there might be also mozilla version 2.0 out there. I used k-meleon before, but lack of updates I have started to use mozilla and I can tell you that it is the best browser of the world, much faster than k-meleon.

Good bye k-meleon"

Actually I still cannot get over this impatience some users have, mainly due to their fixation with having to be constantly updating their software. It really is amusing to say the least. According to the dev's mailing list, v0.7 RC1 will be out in due course, after Jeff fixes the problems he is having with the installer (there's more to a browser than just the browser itself). My guess is it still will not be a public release, as the devs like to keep the beta testing tight (as some people may realise). Up until now, the beta's have been averaging a release about once a month (which isn't 1-2 years FYI). But, ya know, this is all "behind the scenes" stuff which is totally alien to some of these one-click wonders like ThatDude and friends who, if there isn't any mention of activity on the frontpage, they make one almighty assumption and declare that the K-Meleon project is dead. Well, if you believe that it is dead, off you go then, elsewhere with the likes of you, noone will miss you either. Maybe then the noise ratio of these forums will settle a little.

Date: September 16, 2002 02:04AM

"Good bye k-meleon"

"Do we dare to dream?"

It's the usual empty retoric. It's like they truly believe that, if *they* stop using K-Meleon, then somehow the developers might feel sorry for them, and rush out a new "unfinished" version, especially for them. These people like ThisDude and ThatDude and whatever over "Dudes" need to get over themselves.

Posted by: ThatDude
Date: September 16, 2002 04:58AM

AL..
Hehe,you have'nt went to comedian school,I can tell.
LOL..
Oh and BTW,I allready knew you were in dream land without the
Yawn...
ZzZzZzZzzzzzzzz....
ROFLMAO.........:-)

Posted by: Gon
Date: September 16, 2002 06:31PM

ThatDude, Why don't you just grab the source and compile it yourself?

Posted by: Gon
Date: September 16, 2002 08:20PM

And if compiling isn't your thing, why not try helping in some other constructive way? Ideas include: Answering tech support requests(with appropriate responses), artwork, documentation, structured testing(call up webpages known to give Moz/KM problems, check for compatibilities, etc.), or simple word-of-mouth promotion. I know it's not likely you would want to promote K-Meleon based on the posts of yours I've just seen today, but they're only ideas.

Any one of those things could help speed a new version along, since doing any and all of those things obviously will take away from the developers time from planning/coding/debugging.

Date: September 16, 2002 09:49PM

Ahem ThatDude, did you read the other post about the latest beta being available? I'm not the one in dream land, you are ;-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.