Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Latest Beta
Posted by: Andrew
Date: September 16, 2002 06:40AM

Yes, the latest beta is out and available:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=1079259&forum_id=2617

as always, read the entire posting and report your bugs back to the developer's list. I can tell you in advance that Print Preview crashes the browser. We still have some things to clean up for 0.7. Enjoy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Latest Beta
Posted by: aldawg
Date: September 16, 2002 02:54PM

I am using the new beta now and it is really nice, Andrew. Nice job on it. Very fast and I have not run into any problems yet.

Posted by: ne081
Date: September 16, 2002 03:15PM

Been using since last night.Works great so far.Just curious if you knew what moz version this is built on yet as i seen you asked in the mailing list archives?

Posted by: Jeff
Date: September 16, 2002 03:44PM

It's built on 1.1.

-- Jeff

Date: September 16, 2002 04:25PM

Thanks go to Jeff, Ulf, Mark, Brian and Rob. They did almost all of the coding since 0.6 I just get the chance to announce the updates.

Andrew

Posted by: Al.
Date: September 16, 2002 10:09PM

It seems a little rough around the edges, however I guess there had to be a release to appease a few disgruntled punters ;-)

So I take it this is still another in the series of beta releases, and not the fabled 0.7 RC1 yet?

Date: September 16, 2002 10:47PM

Al,

What edges do you want polished? Let us know so that we can work out as many bugs as possible before 0.7.

Is this RC1? No one has called it that. Depending on how many bugs we get cleared up, the next one could fit that designation.

Posted by: C
Date: September 16, 2002 11:47PM

Good job guys.. I'm bug free so far =)

Posted by: OgO
Date: September 16, 2002 11:54PM

I've been using the previous beta on Win98 SE with no trouble (well a couple known bugs, but aside from that). I just downloaded and installed the latest beta, but as soon as it tries to run it - it gets to the profile selection screen (never used it actually, always just the one setup), then when you say ok continue, it crashes with

K-Meleon caused an invalid page fault in module MSVCRT.DLL at xxxx: xxxxxxxx

I went and looked up the microsoft knowledge base - they make crap software, but at least they have a reasonable amount of information on all the bugs it causes:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q192123

It suggested that I need to install the libraries update from:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q192123

I did that and K-Meleon works fine now. I've only just done it so haven't noticed any other side effects yet, but if anyone else has this trouble, that may be a solution.

Date: September 17, 2002 12:22AM

Andrew,
Here are a couple of observations in regards to the latest beta I've noticed:

* All the old skins (toolbar buttons) which are available from the resources section no longer work with K-Meleon, due to the new naming convention for the bitmaps. Because of the new tooldead.bmp addition, the old skins will have to be redone. Of course this is up to the individual skin authors, just thought I'd let them know.

* Toolbar background bitmap doesn't show up, even though I've pointed K-Meleon towards one. This isn't a biggie for me, as I've just compiled a Windows XP Visual Styles *.manifest file for K-Meleon, which makes K-Meleon utilise the Windows XP visual themes. I'm just testing it out at the moment, however it looks great and works without any problem. If I have no problems with it, I will of course submit it to the website so that anybody else with Windows XP can download it. With the *.manifest file itself, all that needs to be done with it is pop it into the K-Meleon folder (with the k-meleon.exe) and it works instantly.

*When I'm typing into text boxes, like this one, the arrow keys on my keyboard don't seem to move the cursor around. K-Meleon problem perhaps.

Other bugs I noticed that you mentioned on the developers list, so I won't repeat them.

Date: September 17, 2002 12:32AM

Oh, and the progress meter next to the "padlock" doesn't do anything (no green progress line or anything). I didn't think much of it originally, however after I added my Windows XP manifest file to the K-Meleon directory, it shows up as a true progress meter, with no green indicator inside of it.

Posted by: OgO
Date: September 17, 2002 01:25AM

Just to update what I wrote before - It appears that the library update wasn't the problem (or the fix), it was something to do with installing over an existing install of the previous build - I know, I shouldn't do it smiling smiley

After I posted that I closed K-Meleon, and next time I opened it, it did the crashing thing again. Since I uninstalled it completely and reinstalled, it works fine, so just ignore my previous remarks, although updating whatever it is that library updates, probably doesn't hurt....

Date: September 17, 2002 01:43AM

Scratch the progress bar bug, as it does work after a while (depends upon how fast the page loads). Which means that my Windows XP Themes manifest file works with no glitches :-)

I did however notice a problem with this Java enabled page: http://www.acuteapplets.com/
After the applets load, if I click on the scrollbar and push down, the background of the page flickers to white. No doubt a display issue, however is it the Java or Gecko 1.1?

Posted by: Lancer
Date: September 17, 2002 03:37AM

Why is there no "Open web Location" item in File menu?

Does exist such command? maybe I can add it by:
'Preferences>Configs>Menus'

Date: September 17, 2002 03:51AM

Lancer,

You just type your URL into the "file name" field. The dialog box is labeled:

"Select a File or Type in a URL"

If I enter google.com, it takes me to the Google web site.

Posted by: James Bond
Date: September 17, 2002 03:54AM

The backspace key still didn't work, but, oh well, it's not a biggie.

Posted by: bob
Date: September 17, 2002 08:37AM

typing "about:" should display information about the mozilla build and the User Agent string etc (like mozilla) but its broken in the latest build and also the build before the latest. Note: it did in 0.6 and also a 0.65 beta before the lastest 2 betas.
heres a screenshot of what the current build shows: http://www3.150m.com/img/kmeleon_about.png
bob

Date: September 17, 2002 10:36AM

Bob,

Looks like a missing resource file is needed to display that. I'll add that to the bug list.

Posted by: Lucas
Date: September 17, 2002 07:58PM

Wow!!! great browser!!
Very little bug in the installer:
There stands "StaRdard plugins" exept "StaNdard plugins"...

Those layers-window-mix are a great idea!! Now's everybody happy.

Yet a bug (I think) that was also in 0.6 and in Netscape 6.0 (solved in 6.2), that's the Automatic proxy-server.
My ISP uses http://pac.telenet.be:8080
Now I need to fill in the manual proxy-server (http://proxy.pandora.be:8080).
Here stands that's not the fault of Telenet (the name of the ISP): http://helpdesk.pandora.be/nl/faq/surf08.htm (Dutch)
But it's logic that the ISP says that's not them fault...

Date: September 17, 2002 09:30PM

Actually I no longer have problems with Automatic Proxy Config., but then my ISPs PAC file doesn't require a port number like yours does. Interesting.

Posted by: SlideRule
Date: September 17, 2002 10:17PM

Running Beta K-Meleon, Version 0.6.5 Build 488 Compiled Sun Sep 15 18:10:56 2002 -- on a machine with Windows 95, OSR2.

Great job, and, looks like things are really coming together. A few points like to mention . . .

1. Upgraded to latest version of macros.dll . . . and . . . while attempting to have a Menu Description -- for instance:
"Dictionary Search Ctrl+D"
and tried in macros.cfg with: menu = "Dictionary Search\tCtrl+D"; and many other combinations, but, in macros.cfg . . . menu command does NOT seem to recognize a tab/right justifcation. Is there a work-around ?

2. When using "Find in Page" (from "View Menu"), the "Wrap Around" check box is NOT checked . . . yet it does wrap around.

Thanks so much for the great effort.

Date: September 17, 2002 11:48PM

SlideRule,

I couldn't duplicate this:

2. When using "Find in Page" (from "View Menu"), the "Wrap Around" check box is NOT checked . . . yet it does wrap around.

Can you provide an example page? Did you make any changes to that dialog (check/uncheck items) before using it?

Posted by: Ron
Date: September 18, 2002 12:01AM

Al,

>I did however notice a problem with this Java enabled page: >http://www.acuteapplets.com/
>After the applets load, if I click on the scrollbar and push down, the background of >the page flickers to white. No doubt a display issue, however is it the Java or Gecko >1.1?

Reply To This Message

The problem must be with the Java. This page displays fine on my copy of the latest K-Meleon beta. I have Sun's JRE 1.3.1,

Posted by: SlideRule
Date: September 18, 2002 12:20AM

Andrew:

Perhaps, my wording was NOT clear, regarding "Find in Page" options. In my prefs.js file, I have the following settings:

user_pref("kmeleon.find.matchCase", false);
user_pref("kmeleon.find.matchWholeWord", false);
user_pref("kmeleon.find.searchBackwards", false);
user_pref("kmeleon.find.wrapAround", true);

Therefore, I was expecting, when bringing up the "Find in Page" dialog, that, the "Wrap around" Option would be checked. However, it NEVER is within the current Beta. Is this a 'bug', OR, is there another settting in prefs.js to make "Wrap around" the default ? ?

Date: September 18, 2002 12:24AM

"The problem must be with the Java. This page displays fine on my copy of the latest K-Meleon beta. I have Sun's JRE 1.3.1,"

I checked it again, however the problem appears to be intermitent. Occasionally it will go white, but only after moving the scrollbar a few times. Oddly enough, I wouldn't normally point the finger at my video card (Intel AGP 32megs), however it cold be a quirky video problem perhaps. Anyway, that particular page does have a few more applets than the average webpage, so it could be something like that. Maybe.

Date: September 18, 2002 12:55AM

SlideRule,

I'll have to check on that. It might be a simple coding issue. Thanks for the clarification.

Date: September 18, 2002 01:14AM

Bob,

Re: your problem:
"...typing "about:" should display information about the mozilla build and the User Agent string etc (like mozilla) but its broken in the latest..."

I've found the fix for this. It will be working in the next release.

Posted by: bob
Date: September 18, 2002 03:35AM

thanks Andrew

Posted by: Dominic Ko
Date: September 23, 2002 12:05AM

How can I download the latest beta KM 0.7.
Would you pls send me the URL?

Thank You

Date: September 23, 2002 02:10AM

"How can I download the latest beta KM 0.7.
Would you pls send me the URL?"

Did you even bother to follow the link provided in the first posting in this thread?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.