Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Thumb up for the K-Meleon Team
Posted by: MatriX
Date: September 24, 2002 12:43PM

I've just tried the latest beta (0.6.5) and it's absolutely awesome.
It renders all the pages perfectly so far, it has a tiny size and best of all it's even faster than Opera. It definitely kicks Moz's ass.

I wonder what 0.7 will become ;-)

Great work, guys!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thumb up for the K-Meleon Team
Posted by: Peter B
Date: September 25, 2002 12:13AM

I have tried the latest beta, and it fixes some of the big flaws in version .6. I am thinking particularly of bookmark support, and all the things that Mozilla 1.1 can do, but version .95 couldn't. There is no reason to offer only Kmeleon .6 on the home page. This beta should also be there.

Posted by: Jon
Date: October 21, 2002 09:20PM

I'd like to backup the comments of the previous two posters. I've got the beta (488) up and running - and it's great!
I'm running Windows 98SE and did have the previously reported problem with the Hotlist/Favourites plugins. Since I edited the prefs file to stop the hotlist plugin from loading I've had no problems at all.
It's also good to see that all the quirks of 0.6 seem to have been ironed out.
Rather than offering the beta alongside 0.6 why not give it it's own page, with known bugs and solutions listed, and a link to the developers forum to report new bugs?
Well done!

Posted by: Josh
Date: October 21, 2002 11:47PM

I'd love to see .7 released on the 30th. One year after .6

From the reports about the beta I'm seeing here, it' might be possible.

Posted by: Al.
Date: October 22, 2002 02:57AM

Depends upon what Jeff and Co are up to. Jeff, you there???Come to think of it, Andrew's been quiet for a while too. Maybe they know something we don't ;-)

Posted by: C
Date: October 22, 2002 03:33AM

Finally a thread about something other than Phoenix (pheww). Regardless of what some impatient ppl say, K-Meleon's still the best damn browser out there.

Posted by: J.Raines
Date: October 22, 2002 11:40AM

Impatient?!?! You have to be kidding. To take a year for a 0.X release is beyond ridiculous. Apparently this group doesn't get the concept of freeze the base (in this case the Mozilla version), freeze the features & clean up & stabilize the code & then release it. If they haven't get the guts to make an 0.7 release, then it must not be all that great. In any case, it appears that Phoenix will reach 1.0 before these guys even get to 0.7 so then it won't really matter. Because by then, even the die-hards like myself who have been revisiting this site for months waiting for the mythical 0.7 release will have moved on & this project will die the death it is apparently doomed to with this development (???) team.

Posted by: Jason Foss
Date: October 22, 2002 11:59AM

"Apparently this group doesn't get the concept of freeze the base (in this case the Mozilla version)"

A lot of the bugs are actually Mozilla bugs, so why would we want them to stick with 1.0 when 1.2a is so much better?

0.7 is getting much closer, but with each build there seems to be a few issues which causes it not to work correctly out of the box on some systems.

Posted by: Stefan
Date: October 22, 2002 02:59PM

> A lot of the bugs are actually Mozilla bugs, so why would we want them to stick with 1.0 when 1.2a is so much better?

Um, where did he say anything about Mozilla 1.0 ?
Obviously a new K-Mel should be built on a newer version then 1.0.
Preferably 1.2 if it's put out in the not too distant future.

Date: October 22, 2002 03:07PM

Look at the line I quoted, that is where. He is stating that they should not build on the latest release, rather stick to one release for each version of K-Meleon. Wouldn't this put it on 1.0?

Date: October 22, 2002 05:45PM

> Look at the line I quoted, that is where.

No it is not what it sais at all... you are reading in things that does not exsist in the quote itself.

It sais "freeze the base" = use A fixed version of Mozilla
That can be eg 1.1 or 1.2 (alpha/beta/final/nightly) or even a latest Trunk form an arbitrary date, not just 1.0.

Date: October 22, 2002 06:35PM

If you froze the base a year ago, the latest beta sure would not be built on 1.2a, now would it?

Anyway, changing the mozilla version has very little to do with why .7 has not been released.

Since J.Raines obviously does not know what is going on, there is no point in making an argument about it as has been done with every other topic in these forums lately.

Date: October 22, 2002 07:29PM

> If you froze the base a year ago, the latest beta sure would not be built on 1.2a, now would it?

Um, you are stating the obvuious, however it has no relevance in this case.
The guy is suggesting that K-Mel development should work more like Mozilla.
Somehow you manage to confuse this into that he suggested they should use Moz 1.0

You are free to disagree with his opinion, but try at least to disagree with HIS opinion, instead of make up something on your own, state that warped opinion is his and then disagree with your own warped opinion (while incorrectly saying it's HIS opinion).

Just for referance, Mozilla development works like this:
* A main trunk is developed
* From time to time it's freezed, creating a branch
* The brachcode is polished until a final branch emerges which is then released as eg final 1.1

This is what he is suggesting for K-Mel, not that K-Mel should all of a sudden start using a 1 year old branch.

BTW, I don't agree with him. The K-Mel developers should use the development procedure they think is the most apropriate for them.
(just thought I should mention it since you like to read stuff into other peoles posts that isn't there)

Date: October 22, 2002 11:31PM

"This is what he is suggesting for K-Mel, not that K-Mel should all of a sudden start using a 1 year old branch."

I never said that. My whole point was some of the bugs would still be present if they didn't continue to build on more recent versions.

"Um, you are stating the obvuious"

Now you almost got it . . .

To fix the mozilla bugs you need to keep current with the builds.

Date: October 23, 2002 03:42AM

> "This is what he is suggesting for K-Mel, not that K-Mel should all of a sudden start using a 1 year old branch."

> I never said that.

Sure ... but lets scroll back up abit to your first post just to check...

> so why would we want them to stick with 1.0

and here's your entire 2nd post (since you have a problem of remebering what you stated yourself)

> Look at the line I quoted, that is where. He is stating that they should not build on the latest release, rather stick to one release for each version of K-Meleon. Wouldn't this put it on 1.0?

It's looking more and more that you have no clue about what even you yourself are saying, let alone others. To me it's pretty obvious that you (even twice) say that his suggestion means using 1.0

>> "Um, you are stating the obvuious"
> Now you almost got it . . .

The problem is that you seemed to not get the important part of that scentance
Here is the part you cut of again "..however it has no relevance in this case."
Repeat that last part a few times for yourself.

> To fix the mozilla bugs you need to keep current with the builds.

And if I'm to quote myself you are again "stating the obvuious". However randomly stating things that are obvious, does not make you right in this issue, since it's not what this issue is about.

The issue in this thread at the moment is that YOU use cheap debateing techniques, placing words in other peoples mouth that they have never said. And when brought up you try to cover it up by tossing around alot of obvious statements to try to divert the attention from your bad behaviour. Sorry, but that only works while you deal with 12-year-olds or people who can't think on their own. Sadly for you, most people around here probably falls into neighter of those categories.

Now if you please, try to debate yours and others opinions, instead of just putting down people for something they didn't say in the first place.
That would be a lot more interesting debate.

Date: October 23, 2002 11:45AM

Obviously you are never going to understand what I am saying.

Simply (As I have said many times):

If you freeze the version you are using when you start a new version, some of the bugs would not get fixed.

If you did this when you started on version .7, the obvious build they would have been using would probably have been 1.0.

I do not see how this is so hard to understand. You are the one that is reading things into my posts.

I will now let you children play by yourselfs . . .

Date: October 23, 2002 02:09PM

> If you did this when you started on version .7, the obvious build they would have been using would probably have been 1.0.

You didn't really get a single line from the guys post did you?
Probably not very much from my posts either I gather, becuase I've already tried a few times to explain what his post means.
His suggestion was that K-Mel should apply a Moz development cycle of "freeze code and release finished verison a few weeks later".
That means, if they would have freezed with 1.0 then 0.7 would have been out many many months ago...
And probably be up to 0.9+ by now with freezes of later Geckobuilds.

> You are the one that is reading things into my posts.

I guess you would be refering to
>> This is what he is suggesting for K-Mel, not that K-Mel should all of a sudden start using a 1 year old branch."
> I never said that.

That is not reading stuff INTO your posts, but actually READING your posts (and thus beeing able to catch your outright lies).

> I will now let you children play by yourselfs

I don't think someone that lies & makes up stuff right and left instead of trying to have meaningfull discussion will be very missed smiling smiley
Bye

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.