Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Web site updating
Posted by: Alan
Date: November 05, 2002 11:16PM

Who do I contact regarding volunteer work on getting the K-Meleon web site updated and up to par? KMeleon docs, Build instructions, Plug-in development, Screenshots, etc... are all out of date and could use some serious TLC.

I'd be happy to help/assist in doing this.

Alan
kmeleon32@yahoo.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Web site updating
Posted by: po
Date: November 05, 2002 11:48PM

Check out the Get Involved page!

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 05, 2002 11:51PM

Most of this work is actually be moved to the help manual. I've left up the docs for 0.6 users but we won't be updating most of those.

Date: November 06, 2002 12:10AM

"I've left up the docs for 0.6 users but we won't be updating most of those."

Am I to understand then that the web site will remain outdated in lieu of an updated manual???

Common sense tells me that the web site should always be up to date. Image is everything and and right now the site leaves a rather bad impression as far as newcomers go.

I'm not whining. Like I said earlier, I'd be more than happy to commit time and get things up to par.

Alan
kmeleon32@yahoo.com

Date: November 06, 2002 01:27AM

> Common sense tells me that the web site should always be up to date. Image is everything and and right now the site leaves a rather bad impression as far as newcomers go. <

Seems to me it's worse to create a shiny front end with nothing behind it except for slight bewilderment for those people attracted by shiny things... probably better to let the form follow the content in this case, in my opinion... or at least not let the hype get too far ahead of the deliverable package... two cents. smiling smiley

Incidentally, what does 'Up to date' mean in this context? The only reason i can deal with these forums is because they're not as slow and bloated as... ahem... some other ones. Please, nobody change that!

Date: November 06, 2002 02:41AM

"Seems to me it's worse to create a shiny front end....."

Yes, I understand that. At this stage, more so for those that may want to get involved. Until .7 was released I was always under the impression that the project was dead/cancelled/whatever. It turns out that I could have gotten involved a lot earlier than this. An out of date / erronoeus / broken link web site leaves a bad impression.

Another thing, too. I never built Mozilla before. I never had a reason to because I don't like it. Anyways, when I downloaded the kmeleon source (broken link, btw) I found the instructions for building mozilla were out of date. I didn't know about it at the time, I dicked around with it for an hour or two before going to mozilla.org and getting the build instructions from there.

"Incidentally, what does 'Up to date' mean "

Nothing complicated. Simple things like updated build instructions for Mozilla, updated kplugin docs, updated screenshots, etc..., etc... stuff like that. Up to date enough so people do get the impression that someone cares about it.

Alan
kmeleon32@yahoo.com

Date: November 06, 2002 03:09AM

Ok... yeah, updated *content*... i'm with ya there. Thanks for defining. smiling smiley

...it's just that people keep complaining that the site's not _fancy_ enough...

Posted by: Al.
Date: November 07, 2002 05:22AM

As far as the website goes, I believe Jeff handles the reigns there, however he did offer in another thread if somebody else wants to do the website management. Send him an email, his email address is on the "About" tab.

Posted by: Stefan
Date: November 07, 2002 10:27PM

> it's just that people keep complaining that the site's not _fancy_ enough

Donno, most (including me) have just complained when the latest news started to hit the 1 year mark + that the site is made with invalid HTML and table abuse (which is a bit odd when it's promoting the worlds most standards compatible webbrowser).

Date: November 07, 2002 10:36PM

> that the site is made with invalid HTML and table abuse (which is a bit odd when it's promoting the worlds most standards compatible webbrowser).

That's a good point, on the one hand, but who knows what browser somebody might be visiting the site with initially? smiling smiley i wouldn't miss the tables, though, as long as they weren't replaced by some vulgar display of *excessive* css or whatever... but i can't imagine that changing it over would be an easy feat... maybe somebody will, though.

In any case, i vote for keeping it low-bandwidth friendly, whatever else happens (or adding an NNTP interface?)...

Date: November 07, 2002 11:13PM

Jeff Doozan contacted me a few days ago and I''ve already started the work on updating the website. The downloads section is now valid and I'm close to finishing the new updated mozilla/kemelon build instructions page. Then, of course, is the rest of the stuff that needs updating.

So far, I haven't been paying any attention to how conformant something is with the W3C, but rather, getting the actual content valid and up-to-date.

-Alan
kemeleon32@yahoo.com

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 08, 2002 12:39AM

I've updated the documentation home page. In some cases, the documentation for 0.6 also applies to 0.7. If the documentation, like Build info. is seriously out-of-step, I've removed the links. Otherwise, I've indicated that the info. is only applicable to K-Meleon 0.6 which many people are still using and supporting.

Posted by: Stefan
Date: November 08, 2002 01:57AM

> So far, I haven't been paying any attention to how conformant something is with the W3C, but rather, getting the actual content valid and up-to-date.

Once you finish that up, I'll help you transform it into valid XHTML and CSS if you like smiling smiley

Posted by: Al.
Date: November 08, 2002 05:25AM

Just a small typo I noticed in the FAQ section:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/faq07.php#feature1

Features

What level of support for standards does K-Melon provide?

Date: November 08, 2002 05:33AM

Best bet, when you're all done, is to do a good grep for any variations on the name, and replace 'em all with K-Meleon. It's bound to happen a few times. smiling smiley

Date: November 09, 2002 11:42PM

Ok, several days ago, I redid the the build info for Mozilla since what was on the k-meleon website was highly outdated.

The day before yesterday, I made some changes to several of the K-Meleon VC++ project files (and a couple source changes) so K-Meleon, and its corresponding plugins, would build in both release and debug modes without a hitch.

Now comes the part of testing/executing a K-Meleon debug/release build. The info I have on the old build info page is outdated. If someone cares to enlighten me I am all ears.

Also, has anyone noticed that on mozilla.orgs ftp servers there are also nightly builds of embed-win32.zip and gecko-sdk-win32.zip?

Using those, one could bypass the whole ' dload mozilla source and build' phase all together. One problem I noticed, though, in attempting to do this is that, although gecko-sdk-win32.zip contains the necessary header and lib files, it is missing some key header files such as the nsIDocShell*.h files which K-Meleon requires in order to build properly. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

-Alan
kmeleon32@yahoo.com

Date: November 10, 2002 06:11AM

" Now comes the part of testing/executing a K-Meleon debug/release build. The info I have on the old build info page is outdated. If someone cares to enlighten me I am all ears."

Cancel that. There's an extra step required after the mozilla build to get the embed package:

> cd mozilla/embedding/config
> make

-Alan
kmeleon32@yahoo.com

Posted by: Kari
Date: November 11, 2002 02:11AM

Is there any ETA on when the build documentation will be available. I'm looking forward to working with this browser and maybe contribute some code

Date: November 11, 2002 08:47AM

"Is there any ETA on when the build documentation will be available. I'm looking forward to working with this browser and maybe contribute some code"

I have the docs completed for building both mozilla and k-meleon, including the necassary tools you will need as well as step by step instructions.

I can build a CVS k-meleon and use it with kmeleon .7 without a hitch, i.e., replace the v 0.7 k-meleon.exe with a newly built k-meleon.exe. The same goes for all of the kplugins, i.e., layers.dll, bookmarks.dll, etc..., etc...

However, I have been unable to get a new build of k-meleon to work with a new build of mozilla. The only information that I have on how to do this amounts to nothing more than a single paragraph of sorely outdated text.

I've dicked around with it trial and error but still no go. Obviously, I am unable to document/instruct the merging of a cvs build of kmeleon with that of a cvs build of gecko until I can do it myself.

You can however still work on core kmeleon stuff (especially plugins) without having to merge with a newly built gecko. Just plop new builds of k-meleon.exe (or any of its plugins) into your binary release folder for k-meleon v0.7.

If anyone is interested I can post what I have so far so you can get going on stuff. I also have a new set of VC++ project/workspace files, as well as a few source changes, so everything will build error, warning, and hassle free. (The source release of k-meleon 0.7 is broken and some stuff on cvs needed repair, too)

-Alan
kmeleon32@yahoo.com

Posted by: Kari
Date: November 11, 2002 04:52PM

I have mozilla building with some success. I'm actually looking forward to doing the build of k-meleon. The source that I'm doing my mozilla build is 4 days old now.

Anything that you have gotten finished (working and not yet working) would be fine with me.

Kari

Date: November 11, 2002 06:38PM

Ok, here are some preliminary build docs/instructions:

Preliminary Build Docs

It covers everything you need, including necessary tools and step by step instructions, to build both Mozilla and K-Meleon.

After you retrieve the full source tree of K-Meleon via CVS, download:

k-meleon_upd.zip

and unzip it (and overwrite) into your k-meleon cvs source folder, i.e., c:\projects\k-meleon, to update the project files and a number of source files. You have to do it this way for now because the updated project/source files are not yet checked into the CVS repository.

The instructions for merging a CVS build of K-Meleon with that of a CVS build of Gecko are not completed yet. In the meantime, use your K-meleon v0.7 release folder for testing new builds of k-meleon.exe and/or the various plugins.

TIP: You will make life much easier for yourself if you follow the suggested directory setup on the build info page, otherwise you will have to manually change a variety of path settings in both the outlined env.bat file and in the project files.

-Alan
kmeleon32@yahoo.com

Date: November 11, 2002 06:42PM

ADDENDUM: The link tags didn't work.

Build Docs are at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~k-meleon/build.html

k-meleon_upd.zip file is at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~k-meleon/k-meleon_upd.zip

-Alan