Character encoding...
Posted by: Your Name
Date: November 06, 2002 11:31PM

Been playing with KM 0.7. I like it a lot. But it is missing something important: I cannot set the character coding of a webpage manually like I can in Mozilla and IE. Can you please add this feature?

Thanks for a nice piece of software.

Re: Character encoding...
Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 06, 2002 11:52PM

You can do this in the prefs.js file. Even better would be in a macro which you could hook up to a toolbar button. Hopefully, in the future, we can add it to both the preferences panel and to a toolbar button.

Date: November 07, 2002 12:57AM

Can you please elaborate on the prefs.js solution? I have never done this before. If you can explain it a bit more or point me to some docs - the docs I looked at didn't have anything I could find.

Cheers

Date: November 07, 2002 01:37AM
Date: November 07, 2002 09:14AM

I messed around with your suggestion and had a look around the KM and Mozilla.org websites and found some more suggestions, but none worked! Basically, I want to tell KM that the page is encoded in a certain character set.

Thanks.

Date: November 07, 2002 02:22PM

The prefs for this may have changed. The notes I sent should work. What character set are you trying to display?

Date: November 07, 2002 07:14PM

I am trying to access a page that has arabic characters encoded in windows-1256. It also has English characters. In Mozilla, IE & co, when I set the encoding to Arabic (Windows) - which is the windows-1256 charset - then it works fine. I need this kind of functionality somehow in KM. It is annoying me since I really like KM 0.7 and this site is a forum I visit daily, and it doesn't display correctly.

Any help will be appreciated.

Date: November 07, 2002 07:37PM

As I suspected, it looks like they changed the pref. Try this:

user_pref("intl.charsetmenu.browser.cache", "windows-1256");

for on the fly encoding.

Add this:

user_pref("intl.charset.default", "windows-1256");

to make it your default. Adding this:

user_pref("intl.accept_languages", "en-us, en, ar");

Will add "Arabic" as one of your language choices.

Let me know how that goes.

Date: November 09, 2002 12:03PM

I tried all of the suggestions, in different combinations and together, and nothing worked! I saved and restarted KM everytime I changed something.

I am looking for a functionality similar to the Mozilla (1.2) feature in the View menu, Character Coding submenu. IE also has something similar.

Date: November 09, 2002 04:56PM

Can you pass along the site you are using so I can test?

Date: November 09, 2002 06:45PM
Posted by: Ammar
Date: November 10, 2002 08:14AM

This:

user_pref("intl.charset.default", "windows-1256");

seems to work fine for me as far as arabic text support is concerned.. its the only setting I have in there and it works like a charm... hmm but maybe its because i've installed arabic as one of the languages on my system? (from control panel, languages/regional)

Date: November 10, 2002 09:27AM

Yes that works! Thank you very much!

Funny thing is, I didn't have Arabic installed in the control panel, and both IE and Mozilla worked fine. But I had to install it for KM to work...

Thanks again.

Date: November 10, 2002 01:53PM

Just to add more info to my last post, I tried the same thing with Win2K, and it really does look like you need to install the language in the control panel. The earlier posts were done with my computer at home, running XP. The work machine has 2K on it.

Just trying to help out smiling smiley

Date: November 11, 2002 06:54PM

Thanks for working that out. It's good to know that the prefs changed. I need to work up a doc on encoding. One of the goals for future releases is to have most of this built into the interface.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.