Feedback regarding next version features
Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: January 27, 2003 09:18PM

Andrew,

You posted a list of questions on the mailing list, here's my feedback:

> 1. What features have been included in Mozilla since 1.2 was released that we would want included for K-Meleon users?

To my knowledge the major changes in Mozilla 1.3 are mail related so far.

> 2. Continue work on streamlining the JAR files. This involves replacing XUL interfaces with native interfaces or removing XUL interfaces where we already have native interfaces. I believe that Jason Foss had created a stripped down version that eliminated several hundred K.

Suffice it to say I would greatly welcome this. Are the updated .jar files available anywhere and if not can they be made available for testing ?

The following pref should be made a default in K-Meleon so the xul.mfl file is never created:
user_pref("nglayout.debug.disable_xul_fastload", true);

Also the XUL error page handling is a mess and causes back/forward problems. The error popup works much better, maybe it should be the default as well:
user_pref("browser.xul.error_pages.enabled", false);

> 3. Updated About page. I can't recall offhand who created the updated About page but it's a very nice addition to the browser. Can you update it for the next release? Also, it doesn't work when Javascript is disabled. Can you create a no-script section to handle that?

Are you referring to a different about: page from what's currently in 0.7 ? That works with javascript disabled except the Mozilla version and user agent string isn't displayed as those bits are Javascript. Also about:plugins needs Javascript but that's been true since at least Netscape 4.x. Finally about:config doesn't work but that's likely because it's XUL. In K-Meleon about:config only displays the header line which is defined in a .dtd file in embed.jar.

> 4. Menus configurations, accelerators, etc.

I sent in some accel and menu stuff a month or two ago. How about adding ALT P = ID_PREFERENCES and CTRL VK_BACK = macros(up_directory). Also how about removing the Go main menu item altogether ? I never really for that to be very useful but that's just me.

> 6. Preferences
Are there any preferences that need to be in the preferences panel that currently are not displayed? Are there any preferences that really don't need to be included? Has anyone played with the new editable prefs in Mozilla to see if we can import that into K-Meleon?

Clear URL session history button, clear global history button (if possible).

Re: Feedback regarding next version features
Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 27, 2003 11:33PM

" Are you referring to a different about: page from what's currently in 0.7 ? That works with javascript disabled except the Mozilla version and user agent string isn't displayed as those bits are Javascript."

You're correct. I was thinking of MFCEmbed's handling of about:. Still, our version should provide all of the relevant info. with JS disabled. But that's almost good enough if the only thing that goes missing is the version info.

"Also the XUL error page handling is a mess and causes back/forward problems."

Yes, that's something that should have been on the list too.

Posted by: Stefan
Date: January 28, 2003 02:53AM

I must say it would be nice if about:config worked in future K-Mels.
It's an excellent way of seeing as well as changing your current engine settings directly while the browser is running.

And indeed, the XUL error pages are not ready to meet the Average Joe user yet. Still way to many bugs in it to make it usable.

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: January 29, 2003 12:33AM

Stefan:

With updated gecko about:config works to show all settings, but doesn't allow changing yet (probably something in the embed.jar because KM treats it as a normal document object with text written on it, instead of as a form [layer], but I'm not sure). That would be a nice improvement, though! smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Tar
Date: January 29, 2003 12:25PM

Wishlist for 0.8:

* Middle click to open link in background layer.

* Mouse gestures as a plugin.

* Remove the 2px borders from maximized K-Meleon windows right and left.

* Option to disable the Netscape Bookmarks plugin msgbox on exit: "The Bookmarks file was not created by this plugin. Would you like to save your changes" [Yes] [No].

* Tabs to look like tabs in Mozilla not like the crap it is now.

* K-Meleon specific part of UA string should be displayed as "K-Meleon/0.7" not "K-Meleon 0.7".

Date: January 29, 2003 04:59PM

Tar,

"Mouse gestures as a plugin."

Which version would you prefer to see?

"Option to disable the Netscape Bookmarks plugin msgbox on exit: "The Bookmarks file was not created by this plugin. Would you like to save your changes" [Yes] [No]."

You shouldn't be seeing this. Is this happening with the 0.7 release?

Posted by: Tar
Date: January 30, 2003 12:53PM

> > "Mouse gestures as a plugin."
>
> Which version would you prefer to see?

Any version that enables to use middle button and gestures: back, forward, next tab, previous tab, new tab, close tab/window, up in path (from http://host/asdf/ to http://host/), view source, open all links gestured over in new tab.

Others are low priority for me at least.

> > "Option to disable the Netscape Bookmarks plugin msgbox on exit:
> > "The Bookmarks file was not created by this plugin. Would you like
> > to save your changes" [Yes] [No]."
>
> You shouldn't be seeing this. Is this happening with the 0.7 release?

Only when sharing the bookmarks.html with Mozilla, creating separate file for K-Meleon solves the problem but I want Mozilla to have read/write access and K-Meleon only read access to bookmarks.html

Thanks smiling smiley

Date: January 30, 2003 01:18PM

Tar,

You'll probably need to file a bug on that bookmark issue here:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/bugs/

if it is not already listed.

Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: January 30, 2003 07:39PM

Andrew,

Is the streamlined embed.jar file available ?

Date: January 31, 2003 12:10AM

asmpgmr,

No one has posted one other than what was previously available via the developer's list. Since it's not a priority for the update release, it might be on the backburner until we get into working up 0.8.

Posted by: gareth
Date: January 31, 2003 01:01AM

>Remove the 2px borders from maximized K-Meleon windows right and left.

I say remove the borders from all-sized windows. It will further distinghish the browser (except from Netscape OSX- but it looks soooo good).

Posted by: MaxAuthority
Date: February 01, 2003 01:33PM

@Tar:

I really like the look of the tabs. (you can putt a bitmap next to them - then it looks even better but that's just personal prefernce)

And the problem with "Mozilla-looking-tabs" is, that if you move the layer bar to some unusual place it will look weired.
What would be more important is, that the layers plugin will really catch all windows if I tell it in the prefs.
It sometimes happen that I see 2 windows on the taskbar for a short time, and only when I click on one on the taskbar, it will merge to one window.

And yes - I would also like to see mouse gestures as a plug-in smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.