Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Never need to run IE again?
Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: February 27, 2003 07:18PM

Only use IE for MS Windows Update? Get the Neptune plugin for Netscape based browsers. It requires that IE is at least installed, but you never need leave your lizard again! Use this macro to run MS Windows Update in a K-Meleon window via Neptune plugin!

In macros.cfg place these lines:

[---snip---]

win_update {
menu="&Windows Update";
opennew(" javascript: function IE() { document.write('\<HTML\>\<HEAD\>\<title\>IE Browsing Frame (via Neptune plugin)\</title\>\</head\>\<body marginheight=\"0\" marginwidth=\"0\" leftmargin=\"0\" bottommargin=\"0\" rightmargin=\"0\" topmargin=\"0\"\>\n\n\<embed type=\"application/x-meadco-neptune-ax\" pluginspage=\"http://www.meadroid.com/neptune/download/\" width=\"100%\" height=\"100%\" param-location=\"http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/\"\>\</embed\>\n\n\ </BODY\>\</HTML\>'); document.close(); } void(IE()); ");
}

[---snip---]

IMPORTANT: The line(s) in bold must be ALL ONE LINE in the macros.cfg file, or else this will not work.

Then somewhere in menus.cfg in a existing menu definition (e.g., &View {...} ) place this line:

macros(win_update)

That's all folks!

Confirmed to work on XP with windows update v4.

BTW, K-Meleon (and Gecko) rocks more than crackhead on disability! grinning smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Never need to run IE again?
Date: February 27, 2003 07:27PM

I meant to post this in the General forum...can it be moved easily or should I just point a link to here from there?

Posted by: Fulvio Perini
Date: February 27, 2003 07:55PM

I am ok with it. I even deleted my IE shortcuts.

Posted by: Patrick
Date: February 28, 2003 12:17AM

is there any way to make this generic?
I need to use several sites regularly than do not work with anything but ie.

Thanks
Patrick

Date: February 28, 2003 12:44AM

I have another thread open about that, I can't figure out how yet, it is in the General section, titled ATTN: Hugo...

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: ndebord
Date: February 28, 2003 07:45AM

I think this requires IE5 at least, not IE4 on your computer?

N

Posted by: Patrick
Date: February 28, 2003 03:18PM

Thanks

Date: February 28, 2003 08:44PM

ndebord:

IE5, yes, but Windows Update v4 (i.e., the latest version of the software that the Windows Update uses).

Sorry for the confusion.

Patrick:

asmpgmr provided the answer to get that macro listed on the other thread working! Now it can take dynamic input and will browse in a neptune frame, any URL you enter! grinning smiley

Working macro is now listed on the other thread.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Andrew
Date: February 28, 2003 10:13PM

MS,

Could you document this so I could post something for people who have this question about WindowsUpdate?

Date: February 28, 2003 10:24PM

Andrew:

Sure thing. I'll add the macro, the Neptune plugin download URL, and instructions (about no line breask, etc.), in the mecros section under the misc. subsection in just a bit.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: February 28, 2003 11:21PM
Posted by: Quattro
Date: March 05, 2003 04:43PM

Good tips. I still have to use the old IE at work tho.

Date: March 05, 2003 08:43PM

Quattro:

Check out this one. winking smiley

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/resources/macros/library.php?c1=1&c2=3&c3=29

Also see the thread on the General section ATTN: Hugo..., it has jsnj's great variation too, and a compare macro to show half the screen in ie and half in K-M. smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

I'm doing something wrong here
Posted by: RottweilerKing
Date: March 10, 2003 07:38PM

Could it prevent this working if I make sortcuts to the 2 dll files rather than extract them?

Posted by: zoom
Date: March 11, 2003 12:25AM

Well I have to correct a few omissions in the macro plugin install as It were, And that is When You go to this neptune site and download the file, download It to Your C:\Program Files\K-Meleon folder and rename It from MeadCo_Neptune.exe.pl to MeadCo_Neptune.exe, then install It, Then copy the contents of the folder MeadCo_Neptune to the plugins folder and all should be ok.

Now as to the macros(win_update) install in the Views menu, What I did was go down to the line (in the "menus.cfg" area in Preferences) that says " fullscreen(&Full Screen\tF11)" and pressed return and added the line "macros(win_update)" after " fullscreen(&Full Screen\tF11)", So that It would match like so below.

fullscreen(&Full Screen\tF11)
macros(win_update)

Otherwise what MonkeeSage (---.sd.sd.cox.net) on Date: 02-27-03 14:18 said was and is true.

Date: March 11, 2003 01:37AM

I'm not sure what I said that was untrue, but the instructions I gave here work fine for getting and installing the plugin:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/resources/macros/library.php?c1=1&c2=3&c3=28

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: March 11, 2003 03:57AM

I'm sorry I didn't mean to imply that anything You or anyone else said was untrue, I just meant to say, Here are some more concise instructions, It's How I implemented what You were trying to convey in what You said, So I thought I'd pass It along.

Date: March 11, 2003 04:00AM

zoom:

Right on. smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: March 11, 2003 06:20AM

Besides It's really great to go to M$ Windows Updates website and Not use IE 6.0x, I love It, Now All I need is an Open Source Windows Compatible OS! smiling smiley Keep on swatten those bugs and adding features, As this is really great, As I can hardly wait for 0.8. winking smiley

Posted by: RottweilerKing
Date: March 11, 2003 05:56PM

I dunno why but the macros always give me trouble, the pref's are fine but these macros are so speciffic as to how they need typed in.

Date: March 13, 2003 08:17PM

Zoom,

I'm curious about your reasons for changing the menus.cfg setup for Neptune?

N

Date: March 14, 2003 12:28AM

I didn't really, All I did was to outline or state how I installed It, And also It wouldn't install any other way without renaming It too. Which was/is a minor problem, Why I don't know, But It does work, And since I was not only able to go to Windows Update, But I was also able to Download and for some reason Sloooowly Install the latest update for Windows XP Pro, Which is Q814995 and It seemed like It took forever to Install, But It's there and with nothing but an M$ dialog box during both the dowload and the install, I'm happy, I just wish the install wasn't so slow, But IE 6.0 is/was no-where to be seen.smiling smiley LOL

Date: March 25, 2003 05:37AM

Now when I renamed the plugin installer, It had a .pl extension which is/was like this .exe.pl So all I did was to remove the .pl and then I installed It.

Posted by: twigboy2
Date: May 20, 2003 11:22PM

Does anyone know how to get the Neptune plugin to work on a 98lite or ieradicted Win98 SE installation? I have the dll's necessary for favorites to work (mshtml, shdocvw, 50comupd.exe, etc), but what else do I need? Can it be done without having an real install of IE? Thanks.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: May 21, 2003 04:53AM

Have you tried? I had some IE probs awhile back and used eradicater to uninstall it b4 reinstalling... and b4 reinstalling, neptune still worked. I don't use it anymore though because it isn't any faster to load than just bringing up IE from a KM menu, the address bar always shows java language...and more importantly it always produces an error window that I have to close even though it does bring up the site.

Date: May 23, 2003 03:23AM

Twigboy,

I too couldn't get Neptune to work after running IErdicator. I reinstalled, then ran IE-OFF instead. I also took the precaution of renaming IEXPLORE.EXE to IEXPLORE, then booted to DOS and looked for INDEX.DAT files and deleted them all to remove as much of the IE droppings as I could.

N

Posted by: D Rider
Date: June 06, 2003 05:24PM

Does IE-Off leave IE alive but just dis-integrated from Windows, or does it remove it?

Date: June 07, 2003 03:10AM

D Rider,

IE-OFF requires Windows 98/98SE or ME, in other words FAT32. No NT, 2000 or XP.
Here's the blurb:

<<Tired of Win98's "integration" of Microsoft Internet Explorer and the
Active Desktop? This little one-button utility from the writers of
"Windows 98 Annoyances" will turn off (or turn back on) the MSIE component
of Win98. The browser itself is *not* affected and can still be used if
and as desired. IE-OFF is harmless, reversible, and effective.>>

N

Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: June 07, 2003 02:16PM

If you want to completely remove IE from win9x then get IEradicator from http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator

Note this won't work with win2000 service release 2 or later or winxp because M$ added some crappy "file protection" which keeps a hidden copy of all the "critical files" (files critical to their monopoly) and will automatically restore them if you try to delete them.

Posted by: alain.NOSPAM.aupeix@wanadoo.fr
Date: June 07, 2003 02:27PM

An other product (but which don't work with 95) is 98Lite

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.