New Default Skin
Posted by: TexasFett
Date: April 12, 2003 11:33PM

Just downloaded MonkeeSage's recent build. I noticed the Default skin has changed. Its got blue round buttons now. If this doesn't apply to the official KM build skin then ignore me.

The button design is nice, but its not right for the default skin. The buttons should be very simple for the default skin. I agree using MS's buttons is not good. It confuses new users into thinking they are still using IE. But the design should be similar to them. MS has done away from with that style of buttons with XP so its not that bad to be similar to old IE. They are well known and easy to understand.

And now some comments about the buttons. The home button is hardly recognizable since the house is too small. The history button looks like the drag the URL to a bookmark icon from NS4's URL bar. The search and reload buttons are strange. Its like just a circle inside the round button.

And the throbber is horrible. What was wrong with the Moz lizard breathing fire? Mozilla doesn't use him. Someone should.

Re: New Default Skin
Posted by: jsnj
Date: April 13, 2003 12:54AM

Neither his skins nor builds are representative of official releases. He declares this on his page

Posted by: jsnj
Date: April 13, 2003 12:58AM

Oh, well I thought he did, he's mentions he's not a developer though.

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: April 13, 2003 05:18AM

TexasFett:

My builds are only my builds, I'm not a developer and I'm not affiliated with them (I.e., I don't make changes to the way they do things officially, I just do my own thing as an end-user of their open source software). The official releases will have the same skin (unless they change it) that is the default in the official .7 release.

In regards to the skin, it is a port from another browser (MyIE2), which ported it from Phoenix (Blue Orbit theme for Phoenix). I like it alot, so that is why it is the default skin in my builds. It is also in the skin packages on my site (I don't recall which, offhand), as Mozilla20--there is also a larger version in mozilla36 which you might like better.

As for the throbber--you are not forced to use any throbber at all, or any one particular throbber. K-M is made to fit. Just replace the throbber in the current skin directory with your own (or one from any other skin), and name it throbber.avi. I included one (or more) custom throbbers with most of the skins I've ported. jsnj also made a bunch a throbbers; you might like one of his better. If you want I'm sure he will post the link to them again. You can also downlorad throbbers from the resources section of the site (below the skins).

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: April 13, 2003 05:20AM

...the resources section of the site [ http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/resources/graphics.php ]....

Date: April 13, 2003 05:31AM

I know his builds are different from what the official build will be. But if that is what the official build is going to look like I don't like it. There was some talk about changing the default icons away from MS in the dev mailing list (I think). So I figured that was what they had done.

I don't have any other way of trying out the current CVS and I looked in the "Browse CVS Repository" for the skins to check but couldn't find them.

If this skin is only default in his builds then he still needs to work on his buttons. Like why is the reload button in between the back and forward buttons?

Date: April 13, 2003 05:49AM

MonkeeSage:

Now that I read all the other posts, the page didn't load completely I guess so I didn't see your post. You should make it clear on your page that you changed the default skin. You list all the patches that you use, but not that your using a new skin.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.