Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
MonkeeSage: cookie prob. & save dialog re your builds
Posted by: ra
Date: April 19, 2003 01:51PM

Hi!

Yesterday I tried your builds again, they look really promising. Thank you (and asmpgmr, if he's around) for your continued work.

It would be nice if you could have a look at the following things:

1. Cookie-dialog.

Set

user_pref("network.cookie.warnAboutCookies", true);

in your prefs.js and check out the cookie-confirmation dialog. It doesn't show any data in the supposed fields with 121. If I copy over a complete Moz-Install it works as expected. Would be nice to see the needed files packed with your build. Also, try if the checkbox (always...) works.

The 14b build had problems with the size of the dialog if I remember correctly (moz-bug, I suppose).

BTW: What does the installer do, if there are already moz files in the install-dir? Those should be overwritten with your files, but files that are not included in the installer should be kept.

2. Save as dialog.

In windows xp (and other, rather new windows-versions) there is this advanced open-/save-dialog. Most times km uses the old dialog (without extra features and buttons, like "desktop", "my computer", etc.). Any chance to get it to use the new, advanced dialog all the time? Would be quite useful for those that actually use it. :-)

Thx!

P.S.: Have you had any time to look into the [ctrl.]&[click]-issue?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MonkeeSage: cookie prob. & save dialog re your builds
Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: April 20, 2003 01:49AM

ra:

1. Cookies confirmation dialog: I have a look at this. I suspect it is the chrome files that is causing the glitch. The installers use newer chrome files than K-M sp1, though I retained all the necessary files for K-M--at least, I thought I did...perhaps not...it is most likely the case that I need to switch a newer dtd file with the one from the K-M chrome. I'll post when the problem is isolated / fixed (assuming it is repeatable for me).

2. File dialogs with "places" bar: I was thinking about that, but I recently found out that it is only available under the shell32.dll that ships with xp / 2k sp5 (see the first Q&A in the article I linked to in the thread "Autocompletion for K-M?"). I was thinking of adding conditionals to check for OS, and if OS is xp/2k, use the newer file dialogs, otherwise use the old; but I'm not sure how much trouble it would be, or if the results would actually be worth the trouble. I'll do a bit more checking, and if I ever do add the support to use the file dialogs with the "places" bar; I'll list the change on my unofficial builds page.

3. Ctrl+Click event opens links in new layers: I messed with it a bit, but was not successful. I think I was using GetMessage correctly to look for the event, but I don't think used it in the right place or something. Anyways, I couldn'tr get it to work. I personally use Clicky Mouse to set certain keydown + mouse events to call other events--for example, I have in accels.cfg:

CTRL ALT SHIFT W = ID_OPEN_LINK_IN_NEW_WINDOW

Then I have the Ctrl+Click event bound to Ctrl+Alt+Shift+W, so that Ctrl+Click does effectively open links in a new window (or layer if layer catching is active). It's a bit of a kludgy way of doing things, but it gets the job done. smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 20, 2003 02:08AM

3. Errr, scratch that, I now remember why I uninstalled Clicky Mouse recently after I just reinstalled it and tried it again...I never got this:

CTRL ALT SHIFT W = ID_OPEN_LINK_IN_NEW_WINDOW

to work...

I also tried:

link_new_win{
open($LinkURL);
}

But I got the error that $LinkURL is not in scope.

Seems there needs to be a context menu to get the link url from, otherwise it doesn't work...

So I don't know of any way to do Ctrl+Click after all, sorry 'bout the confusion (curses to me bad memory, curses I say).

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 20, 2003 02:57PM

Hi!

1. Thx. The files may be missing in the official release, too, I don't remember that (using .7 (sp1) with a *full* moz build for ages now).

2. Okay, I can live with the old style if it causes too much trouble, never mind.
I thought that km used the "places" dialog one or two times (out of a hundred), but I may be wrong.

3. So, there goes the hope again... sad smiley
Ah, well, I'll go on waiting for that (since no one seems to be able to contribute code to do that - sadly I can't) even if it takes the next years. ;->

Thx. for your work.

Date: April 22, 2003 07:58PM

ra:

For me the cookie confirmation dialog works correectly in the 1.2.1 and 1.4b builds, as does the option to remember our answer for all cookies from the asking site. There is only one glitch I can repeat, and that is when I use the cookie dialog on the K-M web forums (i.e., here). The glitch is that after I answer the confirmation dialog, an extra (completely blank) dialog opens and just sits there while the page loads in the background. This doesn't happen on my Excite web mail (which asks for confirmation and then disappears as expected), or on e-Bay / PayPal login. Makes me think it is something with the site code rather than with the cookies dialog, but mabye I'm wrong. Could you please post a few sites that you're having the problem with, as test cases? That would help me figure out if the problem is with the site code or the cookie confirmation dialog itself. Thanks.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 24, 2003 10:20PM

Sorry for the lack of details, here are repro-steps:

1. Download your latest 121-build (again). :-)
2. Install km to a new, empty dir (=> km opens and creates a new profile)
3. Close km, go the the profiles dir and add user_pref("network.cookie.warnAboutCookies", true); to Prefs.js.
4. Start km, enter google.com and start browsing.
5. Cookie confirmation window pops up, click on "show details".
6. No details are shown.

Expected behavior: Dialog show details about the cookie (and remembers whether details were toggled on or off and whether the checkbox was checked of unchecked).

The blank dialog window is a known glitch (have seen it quite often now, moz bug I suppose), same goes for the size of the cookie confirmation window (as long as it is not too small I can live with that...). I hoped for moz-people to fix this and haven't investigated any further, but just like you said: it depends on the site (maybe also the type of cookie that is set??).

BTW - another glitch with step 4 (start km) above: km doesn't display the homepage after starting, it does not even attempt to load it (that's only with your latest builds and happens even if all plugins are disabled).

Date: April 24, 2003 10:23PM

Oops, "show details" should be "shows details" and "checked of unchecked" should be "... or ...". yawning smiley)

Date: April 24, 2003 11:57PM

ra:

Ohhhhhh....I get it, the details, as in the actual details section of the dialog that can be toggled on or off. I was thinking you were meaning the dialog window details--as in it shows only a blank window for every site. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll have a look at the javascript used in the jar files and see if there is any way to remember and or explicitly set it to one state or the other (details shown / hidden). I'll let ya know what I can find out.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: April 30, 2003 05:15PM

If I can help you tracking down the problem/file(s), just tell me. :-)

Date: May 13, 2003 07:04PM

Tried the latest 1.4b-release (03/05/10):

The details in the cookie confirmation dialog are shown, but K-M doesn't remember whether details were toggled on or off. Copying over missing (and newer) files from moz. helps (=> on-/off-state is saved).

BTW: Is there a chance you could modify the installer to *not* delete directories but instead overwrite (only) present files with your version?

And your K-M-Version still doesn't open my (any) home-page on start-up (except for the first start). This isn't by design, isn't it?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.