Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Have Kmeleon developers left?
Posted by: ____
Date: July 14, 2003 11:01PM

Ever since the rise of the bug ridden MOZZI-Meleon K-meleon development seems to have stopped dead in its tracks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Have Kmeleon developers left?
Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: July 15, 2003 03:32AM

Huh??!?

On what basis do you call my builds "bug-ridden" and imply that they haven't added to the state of K-Meleon development?

If they are full of bugs and detracting from development, I'll be glad to the remove them, but I was under the impression by the talk of giving asmpgmr and myself CVS access, that they were contributing to K-Meleon development and were improving on the existing release by fixing existing bugs.

If I've been deluded, then please set me strait, and I'll correct the situation to the best of my ability.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: texasfett
Date: July 15, 2003 06:54AM

Some Mozi-Meleon builds have had minor problems, some have had major ones. The current one is working perfectly for me. Anyway, these builds had nothing to do with development slowing. Remember these guys are going this for free in their spare time. I really like MonkeeSage's builds. They allow testing of new features in KM and Moz that will eventually be in the official KM release.

Posted by: rmn
Date: July 15, 2003 02:25PM

Last update in the forum from Andrew was that the devs had had some other commitments in life. Well, that's the whole point of open-source: contribution. When people just can't contribute, the project suspends.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: July 15, 2003 11:07PM

rmn,

Yup. The developers did say they had other commitments, but didn't say bye bye to K-Melon. As I read it, they never promised a KM 0.8 until after the dust settled under Mozilla 1.4 or Mozilla 1.4.1 (bug fix). I always figured that meant last August at best.

<shrug>

N

Posted by: ndebord
Date: July 15, 2003 11:09PM

MonkeeSage,

I think the poster was expressing frustration with release dates. KM is suffering from comparison to the frentic rate of releases from other Gecko-based browsers.

In an offhanded way it is a compliment. As I look back over the pace of releases of K-Meleon in the past, there was not such a level of expectation, but now... <g>

N

Posted by: rmn
Date: July 16, 2003 10:19AM

@ndebord:
No, no, no, of course they're not leaving...! That would be a bad news. <shudder>

Speaking about Mozi-Meleon, I can't say they're bug-ridden -- There's only one bug in MonkeeSage's build that I've really noticed (the layer text bug); but other that that, it's a great improvement over 0.7.1 (except for the download size).

Posted by: jsnj
Date: July 16, 2003 04:46PM

Speaking about Mozi-Meleon, I can't say they're bug-ridden -- There's only one bug in MonkeeSage's build that I've really noticed (the layer text bug); but other that that, it's a great improvement over 0.7.1 (except for the download size).

Other bugs like slower startup time and persistent user32.dll crash errors show up on Win98 with the builds. But using the kplugins and k-meleon.1.2.1.exe on KM's 1.2b backend are a great improvement over 0.7.1

Posted by: ZCB
Date: July 29, 2003 09:35PM

Camino for OS X has also been significantly slowed in its development compared to Moz or Moz FB, although there're still nightly builds being put out.

One thing I do see is that with the development of Firebird it seems that Kmeleon is getting a certain of duplication from the main branch. Is it still planned to continue despite the evolution of Firebird as a browser-only app?

Posted by: ZCB
Date: July 29, 2003 09:43PM

NEVERMIND - did some more reading and I believe I've answered my own question.

Sorry!

Cheers!

grinning smiley

Posted by: revnomad
Date: July 30, 2003 03:51AM

I run WIN98SE and K-Meleon (including MOZZI) crashes are infrequent. Mostly when a page is heavily "java-ed".

Posted by: Marie
Date: July 30, 2003 11:21PM

I'd be totally disappointed if developers abandoned this project. Finally, there is a browser that doesn't hog my computer's memory! I am so glad I don't have to download and install a million and one things just to use a browser.

I love that K-meleon is lite and runs pretty quickly. Hey, it may even decieve my Win 98se computer into thinking it's running XP! (And, I am certainly not interested in paying out more money to M$ to upgrade.)

Thank you so much for all your hard work thus far. You are doing a great job!

Posted by: freeLinux
Date: August 08, 2003 10:30PM

This browser K-Meleon is open source, right?

Right.

K-Meleon is more successful than the
WindowÂ’s Explorer browser. This success could not have been without the freeContribution of programme Developers around the world. K-Meleon is a victory to the lovers of freedom believing in OpenSource software traded under the open General Public License GPL.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: August 09, 2003 12:16AM

K-Meleon is more successful than the
WindowÂ’s Explorer browser.

Interesting. Depends on how you measure success I guess. Overall a nice sentiment though.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.