Monkeesage builds
Posted by: ndebord
Date: July 19, 2003 03:44AM

Monkeesage,

Every now and then I get a hankering to load up one of your newer builds. Soo, in that vein, got anything using Mozilla 1.4 that you're real happy with yet?

;-)

N

Re: Monkeesage builds
Posted by: jsnj
Date: July 19, 2003 04:50AM

He had that awhile ago when it first came out...he's already on 1.5a. I'm not sure if he'll ever build another based on any future versions.

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: July 20, 2003 08:30AM

Well, my build of Firebird from Mozilla CVS (1.5b) seems to have worked correctly tonight, so I'll try building the standard Mozilla from CVS tomorrow, and if that works I'll make an updated unofficial build in the next few days and post it to my site.

smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Franco
Date: July 20, 2003 11:28PM

This is gonna sound kinda stupid and maybe insulting but I DON'T mean it that way.. My question is if MonkeeSage is able to make these builds off of Mozilla backend's so fast why don't the developers just modify what he's done? It would be faster than doing the CVS from scratch.

Posted by: TexasFett
Date: July 21, 2003 12:02AM

MonkeeSage's aren't nearly as stable or bug free as the official builds. Some are great builds, some haven't worked at all for me, others have minor problems. And I think have some bloat from leftover Mozilla parts that aren't needed.

Looking forward to the new build.

Date: July 21, 2003 01:52AM

TexasFett,

I know what you mean, actually all of them crashed for me upon my first time starting them except 1. I'm just saying that his builds would be a good a good start for the developers, know what I mean?

Date: July 21, 2003 03:50AM

Monkeesage,

Great, a firebird-based build will be much appreciated. As for the developerw, I always figured late August before we see 0.8. The sched for KM has always marched to the beat of a different drummer and I see no reason for this release to be any different!

N

Date: July 21, 2003 04:40AM

Franco:

The devs probably will incorporate many of asmpgmr's patches (which appear in my builds currently) and perhaps a few of my own as well (Ulf did in the plug-ins, so they probably will also). Time will tell. But that is the thing, they are pressed for time right now, and I don't have loads of free time either, so I'm not sure exactly how that is going to work out.

Also just for the records, what happened w/ my builds is that I grabbed their current CVS tree, applied mine and asmpgmr's patches, then built and packaged it with current Mozilla libraries.

TexasFett:

I would tend to agree about stability as they are built on Mozilla nightly CVS code, which it often not that stable in itself without any help from me. winking smiley

Though, regarding bugs, I'm only aware of introducing one new bug--viz., the layer name switching thing. I'm not really sure what is up with that since I don't recall messing with anything that should have effected the layers plugin. Mabye someone else can squash that one?

Ps. After this next build I'll be posting (on my site) a link to a package with the current K-M source directory that I'm building from, if anyone wants it..

ndebord:

"Time is that precious commodity of which some have run out, and which others have sought to buy; of which more is needed by all, but which none can seem to find nor make." winking smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: TexasFett
Date: July 21, 2003 07:05AM

So far your latest 1.5a (7/08) build has been perfect for me. No crashing, now bugs that I have noticed. Since I hate tabs I don't care that they don't work. Your default skin still doesn't get its white bg.bmp. Its set to the wrong directory by defauly. But I never liked the white anyway. And your build number is off, it now says build 2.

Most of the bugs I am sure have to do with using the nightly's of the alpha branch. Mostly that is all I ever try of Moz too. Just to see how things are going. I like KM for my browser and can't stand parts of the Moz email UI so I am not that worried about releases.

Hopefully TB will be more customizable. I am still using NS4 for email. It is nice to finally be able to block all image downloads though. I have it set for a non-existant proxy server since I don't use it for browsing at all.

Do you plan any work on customizing TB?

Date: July 21, 2003 04:57PM

Monkeesage,

Well, 1.5a works just fine for now. I'll glady load up the next one in its place though, when you post it on your site.

N

Date: July 22, 2003 09:22PM

I'll probably up a new unofficial build later today or tomorrow since my builds of Mozilla have worked the last couple days without any notable problems. smiling smiley

On a related note, Ulf Erickson is back working on the K-Meleon project ( awsome!!!! grinning smiley ), and he just did CVS commits for the following changes from the unofficial builds this morning:

Bug fixes for:
Bug 28, 281, 433, 266, 74, 297, 387

RFE fixes for:
Bug 313, 376, 381, 292

Plus:
Nickname lookups from URL bar

I think those are all the major differences the between the official and unoffical builds (main program), currently. So you can definitely expect to see a majority of the unofficial build features in 0.8. smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: July 23, 2003 02:21AM

Thanx for the info MonkeeSage yawning smiley) I've been wantign to try 1.5a since everyone seems to think it stable(or pretty stable) but wouldn't the mozilla end of it being an aplha-release make it unstable?

Date: July 23, 2003 09:36PM

Monkeesage,

Ulf is back??? DROOL!

;-)

N

Posted by: Andy Korvemaker
Date: July 23, 2003 11:57PM

:-)

I got excited when I read Ulf's message too.

Date: July 24, 2003 12:41PM

New unofficial build based on Moz 1.5b CVS and K-M CVS is up.

New pref added (from K-M CVS):

kmeleon.toolband.URL Bar.title

Sets the "URL:" text to whatever you want (or "" for nothing), this answers RFE bug 306.

smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: July 24, 2003 12:59PM

There is a problem with setting the new pref to nothing ("") in prefs.js -- Gecko thinks it is an unused pref and deletes its next time you exit K-M...have to put it in user.js or all.js for it to stick.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: July 24, 2003 01:27PM

Ps. It appears that Mozilla (or Ulf, one of the two) have fixed the focus stealing bug. I can open as many different windows as I want and the focus never gets stolen from the view I manually set the focus on!! grinning smiley

Please confirm this someone.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: rmn
Date: July 24, 2003 02:22PM

MonkeeSage,
I just went to your website, and it told me to use KM. That's OK, but the problem is that I was using Galeon -- go figure. :-) Maybe you should also check for Windows.

Date: July 24, 2003 11:51PM

rmn:

Well, you could always give K-M a try through WinE ( http://www.winehq.com ). winking smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: July 25, 2003 05:07AM

The focus bug fixed!?!?! yawning smiley) That's been my only peeve with K-Meleon so far, awesome!

Posted by: zoom
Date: July 27, 2003 11:34PM

Hey MonkeeSage, I have Your (1.5b) K-Meleon 0.7.1 Build 2 : Moz 07-22-2003 and It really improved K-Meleon a lot, thanks. The only real problem that I could find so far is that the Backspace button does not work now with K-Meleon 0.7.1 anymore, Otherwise I'll keep this build as My main Browser. It loads fast too, even when something else is running in the background.

Date: July 28, 2003 02:14PM

zoom:

Glad it works well for you. smiling smiley

Improvements are thanks to Ulf's CVS commits.

I'll be making a new package sometime later this week to get in any changes commited since the last build.

About the backspace key, perhaps check the accels.cfg file? I'm not sure about why else it would have stopped working, but then again, I also wasn't sure why the layer name bug thing was happening, so it could very well be a bug. But doesn't hurt to check anyways. smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: July 28, 2003 11:30PM

Well as far as I can tell the backspace key is there in accels.cfg file, This wouldn't be It would It? ALT VK_BACK = ID_EDIT_UNDO

When I start the browser the browser starts and displays My homepage as It's set to, but the URL says "0" until F5 or Ctrl-R is pressed.

Now when opening a new page on My own from the Quick Launch area (I have a K-Meleon Shortcut there) It will open a blank page with a URL of "0" instead of opening My homepage like I set It to do, I have It set to open New browser windows as Layers which I like a lot, If I press the Homepage button on the toolbar I can go to any website I want, If I don't, It won't go anywhere, It just stays blank.

There is also a minor problem of text like this being highlighted for no reason when I come back into the browser from some other program for some reason. Pressing the spacebar get rid of the highlight and doesn't bother the text already entered.

But I tell You the improvements are just fantastic.

Date: July 29, 2003 01:41AM

I still have one real problem that hasn't been fixed and that is the https link bug as in https://www.paypal.com/ When I get this address in My Outlook Express email I can click on It and nothing happens, I have to copy It to K-Meleon in order to go to the website in question, Otherwise It's like I have no browser when I click on this type of link as nothing happens to K-Meleon when I do this. I made a test email and sent It to myself and found the http address would open in K-Meleon, While the https address will not. And Yes I have My OS XP pro and Outlook as updated as is possible too.

http://www.paypal.com/
https://www.paypal.com/

Posted by: aol hometown
Date: July 29, 2003 06:48AM

On the 1.5b mozi-meleon there's an issue with viewing aol hometown pages.. it wants to download the page for some reason which causes it not to show anything but a blank page after it prompts u to save html(among other stuff). Not sure what the cause is for that since those are really simplified pages. Just thought I would point that out, nice unofficial build though.

Posted by: ra
Date: July 29, 2003 12:24PM

zoom,

check the shortcut properties. there you can find " 0" after ....\kmeleon.exe. just remove it and mozi-meleon will start up the way you expect it. but there are other quirks as well... ;-(

Posted by: jsnj
Date: July 29, 2003 04:07PM

If you want all the benefits of his builds without the quirks...just use his 1.2.1 binary and his kplugins on the components of the official K-meleon, i.e. just replace the k-meleon.exe and the kplugins of the official build, which is essentially all the SP1 did. Works great. That's what I've been doing for months. I'd experienced all the quirks mentioned in this thread with his complete build, but none without. As for the 1.2b compared to the newer Mozillas, 1.4+ etc...I always try'm when they come out but have never noticed a difference in page rendering compared to 1.2b.

Date: July 29, 2003 07:14PM

ra - Thanks, That did help, I didn't know where It was coming from. Yeah, I guess nothings perfect.

So far It's just 2 problems, 1. Backspace. And 2. https from Outlook Express being ignored by K-Meleon, While http works perfectly.

Posted by: rmn
Date: July 30, 2003 07:49AM

> Ps. It appears that Mozilla (or Ulf, one of the two) have fixed the focus stealing bug. I can open as many different windows as I want and the focus never gets stolen from the view I manually set the focus on!! grinning smiley

Sorry. It's not (completely) fixed. I just got another case of it. (But maybe the chance is greatly reduced.... I don't know.)

Posted by: ra
Date: July 30, 2003 01:36PM

If the webpage wants to grab the focus (and java script is on!) it can. But that's by (moz) design, IMO, and I'm quite sure that there is a pref to disable it, if you want to. To find an example for this grabbing just go to Google-Groups and open a full thread in a background window.

Otherwise I see no focus bugs, well except, maybe this one: Open a link in a background window, minimize current window, minimize new background window (before the site is - actively - loaded! - have to be fast switching windows...), go back to original window. Then the background window pops up (now a resized window if it was maximized before!) as soon as it begins to render the site.

I *think* that was the original focus bug back then and it was fixed by *not* minimizing new background windows but just putting them in the background.

So, the current situation is kinda design issue and not a bug. Just avoid it and anything will be fine. smiling smiley

P.S.: I'm speaking of Jeffs builds, but I think that Jordans MM-builds behave just the same way - IIRC.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.