Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Compiling K-Meleon
Posted by: Nilson
Date: September 06, 2003 01:13AM

I have compiled Mozilla Firebird quite a few times. I have the Mozilla tree on my comp, as well as all the req'd build tools.

What additional components should I download? What do I put in MOZCONFIG?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Compiling K-Meleon
Date: September 06, 2003 07:02PM

Hmmm. No one know, huh? I'm tired of waiting for 0.8 and I want to compile the latest CVS.

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: September 07, 2003 03:24AM

Nilson:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=2&i=1671&t=1650

I'm pretty sure I also posted build instructions for using Moz 1.3 / 1.4 at some point but I can't find the thread right now...

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: September 07, 2003 04:49AM

I have the latest source tree and all.

Can someone convert the dsps to makefiles for me? I don't use M$. I want to get this working on MinGW/Cygwin/GCC

Date: September 08, 2003 04:10PM

Unfortunately you need visual studio for the MFC libraries and includes.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

*Sigh*
Date: September 12, 2003 01:23AM

Ok, maybe one day...

Date: November 04, 2003 06:48AM

Is there any hope that MinGW builds will be possible now that the 0.8 betas are being built off of a trunk that is MinGW-friendly?

Posted by: DnOlvrB
Date: November 05, 2003 07:12PM

This issue is going to drive me toward FireBird. Someone here should give serious thought to removing the M$V$ dependency. It strikes me as odd that one would have to pay thousands of dollars to build an open source app, but then, it is targetted for running on M$ platforms isn't it?

Posted by: dpb
Date: November 07, 2003 10:40PM

K-Meleon is based on MfcEmbed, which is a embedding test browser in Mozilla. MfcEmbed uses the MFC libraries which are in Microsoft Visual C++. Mozilla can be build with MinGW, but MfcEmbed and K-Meleon can't because of this.

Also, there is some problems in the MinGW builds of Mozilla, like some of the Mozilla/Netscape plugins wont work. The greatest is probably Suns Java plugin, which is used much.

MinGW is only a Tier-3 platform and MVC++ is a Tier-1 platform in Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org/build/faq.html#supported), which means MVC++ is Mozillas primary focus for Win32 platforms.

Getting K-Meleon to build with MinGW would mean a complete redo of the source code, 'cause MFC is Microsofts property and it surely won't let free compilers to use it.

This is one of the things I don't like about K-Meleon, but it isn't K-Meleons developers fault. Go blame to Mozilla for using MVC++ in the first place. The second thing I don't like about K-Meleon is that it isn't for Linux. :p And those are about the only things I don't like about K-Meleon, otherwise I love it. =)

-dpb

Posted by: DnOlvrB
Date: November 13, 2003 05:47PM

Can k-meleon plugins be built using GCC rather than MVC++?
I think that would solve my problem.

Date: January 15, 2004 06:59AM

DnOlvrB:

IIRC, Ulf was using MinGW (which uses GCC as the compiler) for a long time and developed half the KM plugins on it, so I think it will work fine to compile the plugins, though I've never tried.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.