Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
licenses
Posted by: wankybastard
Date: September 12, 2003 03:43AM

What licenses govern the kmeleon project? The front page mentions the GPL but makes no mention to the MPL for Gecko nor is there information regarding how you worked out any problem resulting from incompetibilites between the GPL and MPL.

I ask this as other browser projects (specifically for GNOME) are "not complete solutions" as they still require that Mozilla be installed. Since there browsers can be defined as "advanced wrappers" they avoid these complications. However, according to those I have talked to Kmeleon does not require that you install Mozilla and includes Gecko.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: licenses
Posted by: rmn
Date: September 12, 2003 12:54PM

Thibault himself asked the same question a long while back:
http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/thread.php3?subject=K-Meleon+GPL+license&list=111

One of the answers is really interesting: 'You know having to deal with this is really kinda stupid in an "open source" development forum. We`re not any better than Micros***.'

Anyway, I think I've read somewhere that Mozilla is working to make a GPL-compatible license now that GPL is very widely-used.

At this time, probably we are violating a license, but people doesn't seem to care since everyone's happy.

Re: licenses
Posted by: toomanybeers
Date: September 14, 2003 01:20AM

Or it could simply be that Mozilla.org (Mozilla Foundation) still believe Kmeleon to be similar to Galeon, Epiphany, or to @!#$-can projects like Sylera in that they are more wrappers that require Mozilla to be installed. Surely if Galeon were to pull Gecko away from the rest of Mozilla there would be issues. It's possible that these projects are waiting for both the new development (which will make Gecko easier to remove) and the revised MPL.

BS wrappers like Sylera that, unlike Galeon and Epiphany, do not bring advancements to the fold (one point of their marketing is that they are like Mozilla with numerous extensions in place already) don't need to worry. Atleast no this early in their short-live development.

Note: Sylera isn't the first nor the last. Doomed from the beginning projects are fun to watch.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.