Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
We should all give up on K-Meleon and move to Mozilla Firebird...
Posted by: Burgerings
Date: September 20, 2003 12:06PM

Howdy,
I was once a BIG user of K-Meleon, but development has died. I really did like using K-Meleon, but their is no new versions etc. I think currently Mozilla Firebird is the No 1 browser. It's just as fast as K-Meleon and has all the features plus more and did I mention FAST? It's open source as well, and will really give IE a run for it's money...I hope one day to switch back to K-Meleon, but I can't see it happening....
Cheers,
Burgerings

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: We should all give up on K-Meleon and move to Mozilla Firebird...
Posted by: rmn
Date: September 20, 2003 03:24PM

Not necessarily, mate.

I don't see why being dead means being ugly. I've seen many (open-source) projects not being updated for more than a year, yet are still better than many others. And KM is not as dead as those projects, BTW, because the devs still give responses from time to time (albeit monthly).

If you think Firebird is better, don't blame it on the lack of KM's updates. Just say that you like Firebird; the Forum has accepted that people can choose whichever browser they like.

Posted by: Andy Korvemaker
Date: September 20, 2003 08:04PM

And just another note: Firebird is not as fast as K-Meleon. This becomes very apparent on old, slow machines. Because of the way it's designed, Firebird does not have the same potential for speed that K-Meleon does.

I'm referring to the main GUI of the browser here, not the web page rendering engine. For displaying pages, Firebird and K-Meleon should be equally quick. Initial startup time and accessing menus is slower on Firebird.

That said, the Firebird team has made it significantly more responsive, and on most modern computers (fast processor, lots of ram) the speed difference is not very noticable. It is a very good browser.

Posted by: Al.
Date: September 20, 2003 09:38PM

Well people are free to choose whatever they want to. Firebird is indeed a nice leaner Mozilla based browser, and does have a few good things going for it. Of course as mentioned, it will be sluggish loading on older PC's, but once loaded renders just as fast as any Gecko based browser. But for the nerdishly inclined, not being able to configure things with macros is a drawback, but when considered that the average PC user probably just wants to get on with browsing or whatever, then a lack of macros again isn't a huge drawback or setback.

But yeah, if somebody's getting frustrated with the lack of K-Meleon updates, and they really really need things to be as up to date as possible, then maybe they should move on. Nobody's forcing then to use K-Meleon afterall ;-)

Posted by: Ooze
Date: September 21, 2003 09:10PM

i tried Firebird, too!
but it loads awfully slow.

i clicked on the firebird-button. waited many long long seconds

i use KM
i click on it. 2seconds and it's ready loaded waiting for input!

Posted by: Jed
Date: September 22, 2003 07:52PM

I'm a Firebird user (and extension developer).
But KM is definitally my number 2 browser on my machine.
It has the potential to become my default (while I would still use Firebird for web dev.).
But this takes time, and I'm sure by 1.0 it will awesome.

To the first poster: pick the browser you prefer.
Just remember though, the last major FB release (0.6) was also a while ago, and only a small fix was introduced with 0.6.1

Be pacient for KM 0.8, or go grab one of Mokeesage's builds.

Posted by: Burgerings
Date: September 25, 2003 11:14AM

I see whay you guys are saying tho...I suppose you are right in regard to loading time of Firebird..I just wanted to use the Mozilla 1.4b as the base for my browsing, since 0.7.1 only uses 1.2. I see that Mokeesage's builds use 1.4b so i'll check it out...
Cheers,
Burgerings

Posted by: bigbud3
Date: September 25, 2003 03:27PM

Monkeesage's latest is excellent. I use Avant primarily ,but I use Kmeleon as a backup.
http://gratisdei.com/kmeleon07.1-mm1.5b.exe
works flawlessly on my computer.

Posted by: jip
Date: September 25, 2003 03:56PM

that link doesnt work.What are these monkeesages builds?

Date: September 25, 2003 08:55PM

Monkeesage is just a guy who in his spare time brings out build of K-Meleon based on newer Gecko releases, at the moment it's v1.5b. Do keep in mind that these are his own builds not official releases from the K-Meleon camp, and there is no support for them really if you run into problems.

Check out:
http://gratisdei.com/KM.htm

Posted by: zoom
Date: September 27, 2003 10:48PM

True enough, I use His fabulously good Version 0.7.1 : Build 2 : Moz 07-22-2003 and except for password saving problems (It saves the user part, just not the password), Alt-H bring up History instead of the Home page and the Backspace Key not working, I like It, But I will switch to 0.8 when It comes out one of these days.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: September 28, 2003 02:51AM

It saves the user part, just not the password

That usually only happens if you've saved more than one username and/or password for the same site. KM can only handle one per site. To fix it, go to your profile directory's *.slt folder and look for a numerically named *.s file and open it. The data in the file should look something like what I've pasted below. Look for the site(s) that pose the problem. You should find multiple entries for the same site. That's the problem. Delete all entries relating to the site, starting with the period above the address. Save your changes. Next time you go back to the site there should be no username & password filled in, unless the site has placed a cookie on your PC. Either way, KM should prompt to save the username & password and you're all set.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net
username
~abLuag==
*password
~SWInYTcx
http://login.ezboard.com
login
~cYV0bOJpcA==
*password
~KWHnYTcx

Wrong
Posted by: mark
Date: October 15, 2003 10:40AM

Forget the firebird and mozilla browser they cannot run good on the old machines.

I have 3 computers under 166 mhz and the firebird and mozilla are too darn slow for these machines.

I quit buying new computers when I am able to buy a 166 pentium for $20.00 from ebay.

In three years I will get rid of my old machines in the garbage and wait until the 500 mhz pentium 3 is $20.00.

Why buy a new machine for $500.00 when in three years they are worth only $20.00

Posted by: rmn
Date: October 15, 2003 02:00PM

166MHz = $20? LOL!
(Heh, I wonder what happened to that user with 60MHz? Does he still use it?)
Come join the oldest-specs competition! 386's, anyone?

Oh, OK. Enough. :-P

Seriously, mark, what is your complete specs? There's a reported 'bug' that wants the minimum requirements stated in the docs to be lowered (16MB RAM, etc.).

focus
Posted by: the dude
Date: October 16, 2003 09:43PM

i am not a programmer, though i wish i was in terms of helping out the k-meleon project in anyway i could. k-meleon is not dead. general development has seemingly slowed to a creep, but reading the dev mailing list (http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=2617) it looks like a few people are still pouring a lot of energy into k-meleon.
the problem with all alternative (as in not internet "based on ncsa mosaic" explorer) browsers is all the infighting. i go to the opera forums and all i see is mozilla bashing and mozilla trolls alike, i go to the mozillazine forums and i get mozilla suite bashing from the firebird devotees, firebird and thunderbird bashing from mozilla suite devotees, opera bashing, opera trolls, etc. i read through this forum, and good god.
why argue over 5%-10% of the browser market. go after the other 90%-95%. maybe some people feel there should be a unified front, a single chosen browser to battle ie, but people's needs are different, and they will want a browser selection. scratch that, most people don't even know there is a browser selection. what i mean is they will benefit from a browser selection, and they can be awakened to the world outside of ie.
now is the time to start rallying the troops. a new breed of explorer won't be out for years, but during this lull web development will continue. now is the time to provide a product microsoft is both neglecting and trying to mutate into some longhorn specific monster. don't argue over the crumbs, while ms sits backs and laughs and eats the whole cake.
as far as firebird is concerned, i think they have correctly identified the right target audience (something some browser projects miss), and have made it more aesthetically pleasing (which does have merit, and is often overlooked). i think that the project is the right direction and a bright future for mozilla.org, but the product feels rushed, even for a technology preview. i have come to prefer k-meleon for a gecko browser solution because i have had more luck with its stability versus firebird, and it lagging behind in terms of the most recent code from time to time is a trade off i personally am willing to make for what it offers in return. but that is an opinion based on my own experience and there is room for all browsers (except ie). fight the power.

Posted by: Frederik 'Freso' S. Olesen
Date: October 19, 2003 11:09AM

I'm using K-Meleon 0.7.1 (what Gecko-version is that based on btw? 200210xx, or... ?), official build on this computer, as well as Firebird 0.7 on my laptop computer, and I must say that I'm very much satisfied with both bvrowsers!

This computer is 233 MHz, but apart from the Gecko-bug that causes it to crash after it's been used for too long, it runs smoothly and quickly and there's not really any major featurelack, from my point of view tha tis.

The laptop, 733 MHz, runs Firebird which also runs smoothly and quickly, except for it's just a bit longer startup time (it's almost the same as KM is on this desktop, although, maybe as second or two longer), and has alot of nice features and generally I like Firebird better for the latop, but I would never give up KM for the desktop! KM is just that bit faster, which means alot on the dekstop because, aprt from being a rather slow processor, the OS is just generally bloody slow as well, so...

And I think there is a place for IE in the world of WWW browsing. As soon as M$ goes OpenSource or starts using Gecko.

Posted by: pasfr
Date: November 16, 2003 09:16PM

I am using K-Meleon from time to time and this is the Mozilla clone I prefer, i was using this browser and also Opera all the time ,but now i'm using mostly Sleipnir,
created by an amazing Japanese
K-Meleon is still my second choice as I find this a very good,fast and small browser
I liked opera 6 a lot,but don't like opera7 at all

pasfr

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 17, 2003 03:34AM

Jed,

An extension developer. <drool>

Let me tell you what I'd like to see KM add from Mozilla and FireBird.

From Mozilla, PrefBar style toolbar.

From FireBird, the ability to change search engines on the fly. I like that little search box on the main toolbar and I have quite a few of mycroft's search engines sitting in the search plugin folder!

<g>

N

Date: November 17, 2003 04:37AM

the ability to change search engines on the fly

QuickSearch provides that and it eliminates the need for an extra search bar since you search directly from the URL bar.

Date: November 18, 2003 01:52AM

jsjn,

Could you help me with QuickSearch? I can't figure out from the link, how exactly to load it up and use it.

Tks,

N

Date: November 18, 2003 07:06AM

There's nothing to load up really. All you have to do is save your search engine addresses as bookmarks with %s within that address in place of the word or term you're searching for. Example:

Google's search address is: ]http://www.google.com/search?q=

Google's search address for the word "mozilla" is: mozilla]http://www.google.com/search?q=mozilla

So Google's QuickSearch bookmark address is: %s]http://www.google.com/search?q=%s

Then in your Edit Bookmarks window, when you highlight one of your QuickSearch bookmarks you'll see a Nick: area towards the bottom of the window. That's where you give each bookmark a nickname. So Google's nickname can be g. Now, to search for the word mozilla all you need to do is type g mozilla in the URL bar and hit enter.

Date: November 18, 2003 03:31PM

jsnj,

Thanks. That's a very nice, precise set of instructions. Now I'll go and use it.

N

Posted by: Jay
Date: December 25, 2003 04:14PM

One can learn much by looking at what others are doing. I would like to recommend the Sleipnir browser to both K-meleon users and developers, as I would recommend K-meleon to the Sleipnir developers and users.

Hopefully we can learn from each others mistakes and all make even better browsers!

Posted by: beonex
Date: February 03, 2004 09:22AM

Hey Burgerings K-Meleon is faster then all the other Browsers. I have used for test mozilla 1.6 , Firebird 0.7,Opera 7.50 and K-Meleon 0.8.2. K-Meleon are faster and have good Features

Posted by: jeff
Date: February 04, 2004 01:22PM

Sleipnir is an IE shell and has all the inherent security flaws that Gecko browser users are trying to avoid. It does have a lot of nice features.

Posted by: evilc77
Date: February 05, 2004 04:58AM

I am new to K-M and have tried Mozilla/Firebird and was running Opera since ver 2, and have found K-M to be faster,more friendly even when you stuff up to work with than all of them. The best part is you can change it to suit what you need/want without the high tec knowledge needed in some of the other browsers.

Posted by: Who
Date: February 07, 2004 11:56PM

I have to echo the point about old machines. Even on 300mhz machine (admittedly my 5 yr old balooned windows feels like it has its feet firmly stuck in deep gloop anyway) firebird is painfully slow

anyway - I cannot go back anymore - firbird doesn't have the toolbars, menus, accels and macros .cfg files.

Lets have less defeatism :-). How true is it that development has stopped, has this changed since the original post?

Who

Posted by: Meep
Date: February 08, 2004 01:38AM

Just give up and use the Opera web browser and stop suffering. K-Meleon is highly defficient and will remain so because of it's unmotivated developers, which is fair enough since they're not being paid to do this. Those who are happy to keep waiting for some miracle to happen, let me tell you something (from someone who has followed this project from the beginning) it will be a long slow death.

Date: February 08, 2004 01:55AM

Actually it's only been just over a month since 0.82 came out, and considering that there wasn't much of a gap between 0.8 -> 0.8.1 -> 0.8.2 well that isn't that bad. I'd imagine at the moment that the dev's are taking a small break before getting back on with 0.9. Of course there was a bit of talk previously on the developer's mailing list about "directions" etc., and there was to be some debate about what would happen after 0.9 comes out, however that discussion has yet to be forthcoming.

But anyhow, if you really feel that one month's break means "no development" well off you go, and sit around twiddling your thumbs for the next Opera release. In the meantime most of us will keep using the very efficient 0.8.2 release, or even play around with the latest Monkeesage Mozi-Meleon build (built on Gecko v1.6 and v1.7a) .

Posted by: Ooze
Date: February 08, 2004 02:16AM

i think, when firebird 0.8 comes out on monday
i'll give it a try!
perhaps the disadvandage of not editable context-menues and 5sec more start-time is lower than still the lack of autocomplete.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.