Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: We should all give up on K-Meleon and move to Mozilla Firebird...
Posted by: New User
Date: February 08, 2004 02:39AM

One of my machines is an older Compaq laptop, 200mhz, 32mb ram, win95b - you get the pictrue - anyway, I could not get a browser to run properly - ie4 errors out on heavy code, netscape 4.8 same thing, netscape 6 is painfully slow, firebird won't run(?) and finally loaded K-Meleon. Starts a little slow on this old machine but once open - loads pages great - no page errors so far and it does the job i need. I think I will load it on my other machines and see how it performs in the big leagues. Right now I am a happy camper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rapido
Date: February 08, 2004 03:42PM

Hey Don't tell this crap I am a big fan of k-meleon this is my favorite browser number1
and I have no problem what so ever. K-M 0.82 is fast enough for me and It has something i have not found in other browsers I have tried like netscape and iexplorer
plus opera, netcaptor, fastbrowser, neoplanet and avantbrowser and that is that javascript is working and popup is also working wich is a problem with the other browsers. So don't tell me and others to stop using K-M if you do so you can drop dead in my opinion. By the way firebird just mess with my pc so I have to reinstall everything I use so forget firebird ...............(word that doesn't fit here on the forum).

Posted by: Al.
Date: February 09, 2004 01:22AM

Actually it's interesting to hear other people's opinions and perspectives on K-Meleon in this manner, but really this is an old thread and the relevance of it now as opposed to when it first started is questionable. These debates have been going on for quite some time now, and goodness knows why anymore. Back when Phoenix (aka Firebird) first came out there seemed to be a sizable contingent of Phoenix users who decided to start trolling, flaming etc. in these forums, some with the intent of disrupting the K-Meleon project, others felt that if they mentioned Phoenix/Firebird then somehow it would motivate the "lazy ass K-Meleon developers" at a time when it seemed as if K-Meleon development had stopped (it hadn't really), and they did this because they were really just impatient K-Meleon users who couldn't find anything better to do with their time. Of course others did also use the pretence of trying to lure K-Meleon users over to Firebird as well, as if that would impact the K-Meleon user base in some other way, without really realising that it was pointless anyway.

Of course time has moved on for these people, yet still there are a select few who still for whatever reason seek to try and cast the illusion that K-Meleon development has died (even after only a month of inactivity), but then these people really have got nothing better to do with their spare time. You know, they browse around, and then start looking for a new updated version of whatever programs they use. It's this silly obsession that they have with that sort of thing which ultimately ends up creating equally silly threads like this one, hence the title of it.

But anyway even the original poster of this thread "Burgerings" has changed his tune and probably doesn't support it anymore. ;-)

Posted by: beonex
Date: February 10, 2004 07:29AM

Hey Meep. I used too Opera 7.50 before I downloaded K-Meleon 0.8.2. The Developer of this Browser are not unmotivated. The developer Testing the functions of this Browser Opera Software ASA does not

Posted by: ndebord
Date: February 10, 2004 03:53PM

There's a place for all Gecko-based browsers imo. I run Camino on a Mac, in windows, Mozilla 1.6, FireFox 0.8 and K-Meleon 0.8.2 all the time. IE sits there on my hard drive turned off with the nice little IE-OFF app for emergency use only (Said emergency has never happened yet).

Guess which one is my default browser? (Hint it starts with the letter K).

<g>

N

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: February 11, 2004 03:44AM

ndebord? IE-OFF app? Do share! URL? Sounds interesting!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Posted by: Klaartje
Date: February 15, 2004 04:43PM
Posted by: Delta
Date: February 27, 2004 02:44AM

No, we shouldn't all move to Firefox. The point of having two different browsers is to give people choice, and they are signifigantly different. If they both had an XUL interface, then maybe I'd consider agreeing with you, but as it stands, they have many differences. Besides, why only use one. I personally use both... winking smiley

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: March 01, 2004 02:10PM

One of the best features of KM which no other 'Zilla browser has (at least, none that I know of), is the ability to add popup menus to work with selected text in textareas. I use the "Selected Text" menu soooo much from textareas and entry boxes! I tried to create an extension to do the same for Firebird, but the getSelection() method doesn't work inside textareas or text entry boxes (ack!).

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Al.
Date: March 01, 2004 08:32PM

Pop-ups in text areas? So would that be something extra over the usuall right-click menu Monkeesage? Sorry for asking however you've roused my interest a bit there mentioning it.

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: March 02, 2004 10:44AM

Hehe, yeah, I mean something else than the standard cut / copy / paste popup... winking smiley

Here's what I have in menus.cfg:

TextPopup {
&Undo = ID_EDIT_UNDO
-
%ifplugin macros
:Highlighted Text
-
%endif
Cu&t = ID_EDIT_CUT
&Copy = ID_EDIT_COPY
&Paste = ID_EDIT_PASTE
&Delete = ID_EDIT_CLEAR
-
Select &All = ID_EDIT_SELECT_ALL
bmpmenu()
}

Posted by: Ooze
Date: March 03, 2004 11:17PM

now i use Firefox for two weeks or so
and i'll never go back to KMeleon! (i think)

it's not just autocomplete. FF has many little things i haven't missed in times i used KM! but after FF using for a while i won't miss that features anymore.

but i'll check kmeleon-site. you'll never know winking smiley!

Posted by: Cbosdell
Date: April 05, 2004 12:38AM

I always thought the difference was very little but after being stuck on a 50 mzh comp for a week after my Athlon XP 1800 broke down I see K-Meleon is MUCH faster and more responsive than Firefox.

Posted by: TopSecret
Date: May 01, 2004 09:39PM

I use both FireFox and KMeleon, as well as the Moz suite browser. I'm slowly tailing off use of the suite browser, because it is noticeably slower to start. It is also a memory hog.

A couple of issues that KM still needs to address:
(1) Store user prefs and security stuff in non-privileged area (no more initialization errors when accessing secured sites with non-admin usernames)
(2) Many Moz/Netscape plugins won't work in KM, while IE plugins are all ActiveX components and also don't work. When you do fix that (or get the plugin developers like Macromedia to fix them), be sure to create a way to make them ask before they start. The best thing I've seen with FF is when I go to a site with Flash ads, being able to refuse them. KM doesn't work with Flash, but it puts a puzzle piece there and everytime the mouse cursor goes over, it pops up a "do you want to download this plugin" dialog. I'd rather have the option to use the plugin when desired, but not be stuck waiting for flash to download or initialize just to distract me from what I'm trying to do.

KM seems less vulnerable to some Moz/Netscape issues:
(1) On certain secured sites that are optimized for IE, Mozilla-based browsers tend to take several reloads before they display the content of the page.
(2) On a network where they block access to certain sites, they often freeze or take forever to stop searching for adserver.annoyingsite.com. This sometimes means that certain sites and pages won't display at all.

Posted by: dpb
Date: May 01, 2004 10:35PM

"KM doesn't work with Flash"

I'm sorry. But K-Meleon works very well with Flash.
I haven't had any problems with Flash and K-Meleon.
Being able to refuse Flash ads/pages would be a very nice
extra though.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: May 02, 2004 12:02AM

Being able to refuse Flash ads/pages would be a very nice extra though.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=FlashBlock

Posted by: dpb
Date: May 03, 2004 09:57AM

Discovering something new about K-Meleon all the time. Nice. =)
I personally don't need that though, just mentioned it because someone might. winking smiley

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.