Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
KMeleonWiki: User's Guide & Reference Manual
Posted by: rmn
Date: September 21, 2003 05:05AM

What's the difference between a User's Guide and a Reference Manual?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KMeleonWiki: User's Guide & Reference Manual
Posted by: alain.NOSPAM.aupeix@wanadoo.fr
Date: September 22, 2003 06:20AM

If we look at a Borland's doc :

Reference manual contains all the functions and instructions of the language

User's guide contains how to use the language.

I think it would be the same.

Posted by: Andy Korvemaker
Date: September 23, 2003 01:57AM

I imagine a user's guide would be more general. It would focus on general usability features and be suitable for any new users to help them become aquainted with the program. A reference manual would include more complicated details, such as editing/creating macros and detailed configuration options.

At least that's my opinion.

Posted by: Ulf
Date: October 08, 2003 08:32PM

Alain and Andy described it pretty well. Thanks.

When I presented the idea to write a more complete document for K-Meleon I named it Usesr's Guide and Reference Manual, since then I have had the thought that we perhaps should split them in two (my interest is in the reference manual). I have also asked whether it would be easier to find contributors if it was written within a Wiki-system instead of as a DocBook document. My believe is that DocBook is better, but more contributors is more important. We are currently zero active writers.

Mail me if you wish to join the documentation project. I will defintely try to update the reference section later, but need a lot of help if this is ever going to reach such a mature state that we can decide whether to build a Windows help file from it.

Ulf

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.