Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Images--this is just wierd to me
Posted by: Steven W
Date: November 19, 2003 07:20AM

Okay to your left you should see a logo of a kemeleon's head. Click on that and hold down the mouse button and drag to a blank spot on the screen and release. You'll get and error message. Just noticed that if I drag it to where I am typing here I get:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/gfx/kmelogo.gif
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/gfx/kmelogo.gif

What's up with that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Images--this is just wierd to me
Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: November 19, 2003 04:04PM

I Steven!

That's KM's "drag'n drop" feature. Here's how it works:

Take your browser to an image page. Make your browser ½ size. Open a file manager to an empty temp folder. Hold down on the image and drag it over to the folder in the file manager---and the image automatically downloads to that spot. winking smiley Pretty neat, huh?

This is something that the boys over at Mozilla.org have been trying to get to work in Firebird and Mozilla for quite some time---and yet K-Meleon already does an admirable job of it I must say! smiling smiley

You get the error message because you're trying to drop it within the browser window and it has to be dropped either in a folder in a file manager, or---and I may be mistaken on this---another programme (like an image editor, but I haven't tried it yet).

Hope that helped explain that feature!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: November 19, 2003 04:11PM

Just for the heck of it Steven after I posted that I did open my Irfan View and tried dragging that image into it and it does load it into the image editor. winking smiley

And to explain a little better: It doesn't actually "download" the image (though now I'm curious---I bet it could initiate a download!) but instead hauls it out of the cache files/RAM, depending upon where the file is being stored at the moment.

I won't give an update as to whether or not it can initiate downloads. Hey! You've got to discover some things for yourself, right? LOL! ;o)

I love playing with this browser!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Date: November 21, 2003 07:51AM

Okay I guess that is kind of useful. But maybe it could be accomplished without the error message when dropping in K-meleon, at least within the same instance of or the same tab that you are currently using in K-meleon.

Posted by: Daz
Date: November 22, 2003 08:35PM

I don'ty get an error, just it opens the image in K-Meleon. :/

Date: November 27, 2003 06:42AM

Most of the time if I drag the logo to a blank spot on this page I get an error message like "kmelogo-01.gif cannot be found please check the location and try again". The number portion of the filename increases by one each time. Maybe one time out of thirty it will actually open in K-meleon. I discovered this "feature" by accident my hand slipped while trying to click on an image. Personally I think an option to Copy the image to the Clipboard in the right-click context menu would be just as, if not more efficient.

Posted by: alain.NOSPAM.aupeix@wanadoo.fr
Date: November 27, 2003 05:39PM

For the feature you're talking about, I never had this idea and I don't think it's really easy to use (you must have your program open before). In the clipboard, is more interesting.

I have the same message in Kmeleon (in the same window or in another).

I have a message of Active Desktop if I want to put it on the desktop. As I don't like Active desktop, I cancel and I don't know if it works well

I have a message error if I put the image in a folder

It's ok for putting it in Ms Photo editor, for example.

I'm under 98se

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.