Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Title Bar Alterations
Posted by: Selanit
Date: January 02, 2004 01:16AM

Hallo folks. I'm working on a modified version of K-Meleon that will serve as the framework for an auto-run CD browser/installer for use on TheOpenCD. It's been a pleasure working with KMeleon. There are only a couple more outstanding issues to deal with on the KMeleon side, and then we can get on with writing the installer content.

1) The status bar doesn't stay disabled. I think this is a bug; if my reading of the KMeleon source code is right, it should remember not to display the status bar after you've disabled it. In the meantime, I've come up with a workaround: I added OnStartup { id(ID_VIEW_STATUS_BAR) } to macros.cfg so that the status bar disappears each time the browser starts. I'm fine with this workaround, but thought you might like a bug report.

2) I'd like to modify the title bar. Specifically, I want to replace the lizard icon in the title bar with another icon, and I want to remove the text (K-Meleon) from the title bar. I''m not the only one who'd like to be able to customize these; see this thread.

Regarding the icon, I've attempted replacing the skins\default\main.ico with another icon file; however, this had no effect. I also tried putting a file "main.ico" in my profile dir, but that didn't work either. Is there some preference I need to set somewhere in order for this to work?

As for the title bar text, I have no idea where I might be able to alter that. Will this require re-compiling k-meleon.exe? I hope not . . .

If you'd like to see what we've come up with thus far, check out this thread on our forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Title Bar Alterations
Posted by: Marc (@box.)
Date: January 02, 2004 03:22AM

Selanit wrote:
> I want to
> replace the lizard icon in the title bar with another icon,
> I've attempted replacing the
> skins\default\main.ico with another icon file; however, this
> had no effect. I also tried putting a file "main.ico" in my
> profile dir, but that didn't work either. Is there some
> preference I need to set somewhere in order for this to work?

Both solution work for me (in skin dir, and in profile dir).
I wonder if it fails because you've modified KM (no reliance on absolute path), and that it can't find the icon file?

Are you sure that your replacement icon is a valid icon file? Try with a copy of the hotlist icon.

Date: January 02, 2004 03:44AM

Okay, I tried using the hotlist icon as main.ico -- and it worked! I guess my ico file was made no sense to K-Meleon even though Windows understood it. I was using a 32x32 256-color Windows bitmap with a .ico extension. This works for most purposes.

I have now fixed gotten myself a real icon file that our main programmer came up with. So that works. Thanks for the advice!

So that just leaves the title bar text (K-Meleon) to customize, and that'll solve all the UI issues.

I discovered today that K-Meleon depends on some registry keys to execute properly; but since we've already got another app which launches K-Meleon, we can solve that problem by having our launcher app figure out the appropriate keys and put them in place.

Date: January 02, 2004 05:52AM

Well, everything is working now. As suggested here, I used ResHack to modify the K-Meleon executable. I discovered that the parentheses around the word are not modifieable by ResHack, but the text they contain is. So now it says "TheOpenCD" instead.

A screenshot:

That wraps up all of the UI issues for the K-Meleon framework. All we need to do now is create the webpages and attend to some bugs in our launcher app. Thanks for the help, people!

Date: January 02, 2004 05:53AM

Bah, screwed up the screenshot tags there. Oh well. Clickable URL:

http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/contrib/Selanit/OpenCD-Kmeleon.gif

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.