Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Toolbar creation problem.
Posted by: Al.
Date: January 15, 2004 07:42AM

Ok, any skin experts out there who can help me with this will be greatly appreciated. I have just (for my own amusement) created a new toolbar for K-Meleon from scratch. The toolbar is assembled, and looks the way it should under 16bit high-color mode, however when I change to 24bit true color mode (under Windows) the icons on the toolbar have a magenta colored background, which is supposed to be transparent.

So basically what have I done wrong here, and how can it be adjusted. The toolbar bitmaps are 24bpp, and the magenta RGB code I used when editing the icon backgrounds was of course 255,000,255.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Toolbar creation problem.
Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: January 15, 2004 05:30PM

I know this is going to sound crazy on my part but I think you'll find that it's a simple case of what "looked good" under 16bit won't "look good" under 24bit. Let's see if I can explain this:

You've started at a lower resolution and turned it up, so now it's become "fuzzy" and hence there are "spots" showing through. Something like a skin should be made at a higher resolution and that way it can be seen just as well at a lower resolution/bit colour just fine, not in reverse.

Now I could be all wet behind the ears---but I've noticed that when I've made things at 32bit and have scaled down I've never had a problem (I'm a themer by the way, digital artist, and I dabble in screensavers). However, when I've done what you've done sometimes---not always---I've encountered the exact same problem which required that I started over from scratch at the higher bit colour. sad smiley Talk about a pain!

But when we make shell themes this is why we start with the highest resolution first and work our way backwards. winking smiley

I hope this helped a little. This has just been my experience. User mileage may vary.

À la prochaine,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Re: Toolbar creation problem.
Posted by: Al.
Date: January 15, 2004 08:32PM

Thanks Eyes-Only, I didn't think about it that way so I'll have to give it a go. Seems an odd way of going about things though, especially considering that magenta should be the same both in high color and true color.

Oh well, time to waste a few more minutes doing this... ;-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.