Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
k-meleon/mozilla planning
Posted by: Miguel
Date: April 06, 2004 06:23PM

There has been a bit of a brouhaha over at mozillazine about mozilla 1.7 becoming the next long-lived stable branch.

Asa Dotzler comments,
http://mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=4559#35

"I don't think I've ever consulted the K-meleon developers about anything. I don't think they've ever consulted drivers either. I couldn't even tell you who they are. If they're interested in being involved with Mozilla planning, they should get in touch with us and we can talk. <drivers@mozilla.org> isn't a top secret list."

Should the k-meleon developers take Asa up on this?

By the way, do k-meleon developers expect to release v1.0 based on mozilla 1.7?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: k-meleon/mozilla planning
Posted by: Al.
Date: April 06, 2004 09:08PM

If only they were that well organised...

Posted by: Elros
Date: April 07, 2004 08:45AM

I can't help wanting to know about this too. Mozilla 1.7 has a few nice bug fixes (such as stretched-out tables) that will complement KM nicely. I wonder how the development of KM 0.9 is going at the moment?

Posted by: rmn
Date: April 07, 2004 11:55AM

MonkeeSage has successfully compiled K-Meleon with Mozilla 1.7, so I'm not sure it'll be a big problem.

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: April 07, 2004 04:40PM

Al wrote:

"If only they were that well organised..."

LOL! I heartily agree Al! A good one. winking smiley But they are making movements towards some sort of KM if anyone is on the Devlist. Seems like most of it though is in the area of theming if I understand it right, though where I operate with ¼th brain (or less) it's difficult for me to understand exactly what's going on. Maybe someone in the know, like jsnj, could better explain? If they're going to call it 0.9 waits to be seen, but I haven't seen them tackle any other problem that I can see other than theming which, IMHO, had nothing wrong with it to begin with. Oh well. LOL!

Yeah... a dissenter in the ranks. Moi.

À la prochaine,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Posted by: Andrew
Date: April 07, 2004 08:57PM

We've had some conversations with the Mozilla people along the way, mainly with people who work on embedding. I've had a few chats with Asa but about other Mozilla issues. I didn't catch the lastest dust-up but I'll check in to see what's going on.

Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: April 23, 2004 03:08PM

The last weeks it is very quiet on the developerslist and on this forum.
I am curious if there still is some development going on and what and when we can expect for a next release.
How many people are really doing the KM-development?

Jan

Posted by: jsnj
Date: April 23, 2004 11:21PM

How many people are really doing the KM-development?

2, sporadically. Not including Romanitos privacy plugin development.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 28, 2004 03:36AM

What's truly amazing to me is what has been accomplished with a bare bones staff. K-Meleon is so successful to my mind precisely because it came up with the concept of using Windows APIs and scripting language instead of emulation software like XUL.

It makes for a nimble browser that can be modified on the fly by changing macros and the like. For as many of us who like to do the heavy lifting, there are an equal number who benefit from that. Just takes a little cutting and pasting and voila!

N

Posted by: ra
Date: April 28, 2004 09:58AM

Yeah, it's great!

But I think K-M is in desperate need of more devs. Tracking down bugs, introducing new features and keeping current with the moz-codebase takes time and efforts.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 28, 2004 02:29PM

ra,

Yes more developers would be nice, but I'm not conversant of the policies at mozilla.org or mozillazine.org to see how that could be arranged. I believe the world view there is XUL, so...

N

Posted by: ra
Date: April 28, 2004 08:17PM

K-M is independent of mozilla.org. It's of course using moz/gecko code for rendering, but that's it. There are no moz devs helping out in fixing K-M bugs or anything like that.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.