Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Updated Themes
Posted by: Al.
Date: April 25, 2004 11:02PM

For those very few these days it seems, who are following the K-Meleon Theme Scene (hey I'll have to put a copywrite on that title!), I've updated to fullest completion a couple more of my themes, and they are now available from the Wiki. Those themes are:

Crossover, Early-Blue & Surfari. They all now have matching icons for the menus and improved toolbars (in the case of a couple). And in the case of Early-Blue I totally reworked the entire theme from scratch again.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=KMeleonThemesWiki

Enjoy. ;-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Updated Themes
Date: April 27, 2004 12:04AM

Ok, finally got around to uploading Rapido's new themes which have been sitting around in the Themers Group archives for some time, to the Wiki.

They are:
4angel
KM-Betty
KM-Eyore
KM-Pink Panther
KM-Wild Browzer &
Netscape6
They can be found on Page 2 of Rapido's Replicas at: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=RapidosReplicas2

There is one theme which I haven't uploaded yet as it needs some fixing (which I will do as a courtesy to Rapido) and that is his Netcape 0.93 theme. It'll be uploaded once I'm done tinkering with it.

Also had time to complete a new theme of my own as well, Lo-Fi Classic. It too is available now from the Wiki:

Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 27, 2004 04:25AM

Al,

AL> And in the case of Early-Blue I totally reworked the entire theme from scratch again.

I could kiss you. <vbg>

N

Date: April 27, 2004 08:45PM

Glad you liked it!

btw just added Netscape 0.93 theme to the Wiki after fixing it up a bit and gaining Rapido's seal of approval on it. For those who are interested of course. ;-)

Date: April 28, 2004 03:30AM

Al,

I'll have to look at the 0.93 theme too then.

<g>

N

Date: April 29, 2004 08:14PM

Well I've obviously satisfied ndebord, which is always a good thing. Now I can recall a while ago somebody else mentioned that another Mozilla theme they liked was "Micro Mozilla", so what more can I say except here is the new theme I've just finished off, Micro Mozilla (drum rolls please)...

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: April 29, 2004 08:42PM

Hey Al! Your "Early Blue" and Rapido's Netscape's 0.93 are some really handsome themes there! Boy oh boy---if people would just take a look at the themes themselves they'd be frothing at the mouth and be downloading KM so fast that Sourceforge's servers would crash! "I want that browser and that theme!" I could hear it now!

Hmm... too bad that "Themes" is hidden amongst the pages there and not a link on the left like Firefox and Thunderbird have their major sites set up. Granted, those aren't "official sites" and we are. But a lot of people are still missing all the hard work that you and Rapido are putting into these themes. With a link prominently displayed right under "Download" it might change our popularity.

Another thing I'd like to bring up: It's too bad that the few devs working on the project couldn't pick a theme and make it the default over the current theme. Sorry, I used to agree that there was nothing at all wrong with the current default theme. However, reading a lot at MozillaZine it takes a lot of ribbing for it's old style (or should I say "ancient") whereas everything else is so modern with other browsers. I wonder what incentive it would take for the devs to change it? A big bribe maybe? LOL! Well, that would include me out... winking smiley

Just a thought (again).

À la prochaine,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Date: April 29, 2004 09:15PM

Hey Al! Your "Early Blue" and Rapido's Netscape's 0.93 are some really handsome themes there! Boy oh boy---if people would just take a look at the themes themselves they'd be frothing at the mouth and be downloading KM so fast that Sourceforge's servers would crash! "I want that browser and that theme!" I could hear it now!

Oh I dunno, I believe now that there are probably a lot of people sort of silently lurking around and downloading all the new themes, it's just more of thing you don't notice because for some reason apart from a couple of good souls, nobody else is saying so much. ;-)

Hmm... too bad that "Themes" is hidden amongst the pages there and not a link on the left like Firefox and Thunderbird have their major sites set up. Granted, those aren't "official sites" and we are. But a lot of people are still missing all the hard work that you and Rapido are putting into these themes. With a link prominently displayed right under "Download" it might change our popularity.

Oh well, the best we can do for now is just publicise the new themes as much as possible whether it be here in the regular forums or somewhere else (Deltas forums, the Group etc). And post the link to the themes Wiki so they can head there directly. ;-)

Another thing I'd like to bring up: It's too bad that the few devs working on the project couldn't pick a theme and make it the default over the current theme. Sorry, I used to agree that there was nothing at all wrong with the current default theme. However, reading a lot at MozillaZine it takes a lot of ribbing for it's old style (or should I say "ancient") whereas everything else is so modern with other browsers. I wonder what incentive it would take for the devs to change it? A big bribe maybe? LOL! Well, that would include me out... winking smiley

Yeah that would be nice, however the question would then be "which one?". Some of the themes are ports from Mozilla, MyIE and Neoplanet (Rapido seems to like putting those ones out) so they are essentially somebody else's work, and then there are the original ones, but they too are facsimilies of other browser's looks, so it does become a tricky situation indeed trying to choose a replacement for the original theme. Of course there are some really good original ones there, in fact check out rmn's "min" theme for a touch of inspired originality (which after some email correspondence I just squared it up on the Wiki for him).

Posted by: jsnj
Date: April 29, 2004 09:38PM

too bad that "Themes" is hidden amongst the pages there and not a link on the left

Well, Screenshots is the third most viewed page on the site after the Home/News and Download pages. That's why I set it up awhile back to have alternate skin screenshots and direct links to the themes section. So I'm pretty sure that most who visit the site for the 1st time also get a view of how updated KM can look.

Date: May 01, 2004 01:20AM

Just tried out Konquer. Very nice indeed. Won't make me move from EarlyBlue, but nice.

Somebody refresh me on how to get a button in this theme for Email.

<wry grin>

N

Date: May 01, 2004 04:34AM

Somebody refresh me on how to get a button in this theme for Email.

Personally I don't use or need any extra buttons for functions such as that one, as I just use the Windows Quick Launch toolbar for my email program, so I don't usually go adding in extra icons to the toolbar or menu bitmaps that I don't need myself. Of course Eyes-Only on the other hand adds in everything *and* the kitchen sink as well for his themes, but then he usually likes to think of everything in regards to themes.

But anyway I can make up some extra bitmaps for external applications if you want them, and if so let me know what you want and which size icons as well, oh and which theme they're for as well.

Date: May 01, 2004 06:30AM

Al,

I really only care about an email button. I actually use Eyes-Only's hotkey macro to invoke my email program 90% of the time, but it is comforting the other 10% to have a button there. Can't recall which of his themes have the email button, but I do know it is is in the default theme.

Anyhow, youse guys have made so many themes that I like, it is hard for me to decide. Early Blue for sure, but don't get me started. I'll probably ask for Saturn and all its satellites too if you'd let me!

<g>

N

Date: May 02, 2004 12:27AM

I really only care about an email button. I actually use Eyes-Only's hotkey macro to invoke my email program 90% of the time, but it is comforting the other 10% to have a button there. Can't recall which of his themes have the email button, but I do know it is is in the default theme.

Well having sat there and "optionalised" buttons such as that one on his themes I can tell you he usually includes such buttons on all his themes.

Anyhow, youse guys have made so many themes that I like, it is hard for me to decide. Early Blue for sure, but don't get me started. I'll probably ask for Saturn and all its satellites too if you'd let me!

Should've guessed that Early-Blue was the one. ;-) Well anyway it's something which I'll have a play at in my spare time, and as I'm not currently working on any new themes just yet, it shouldn't take too long. I'll just add in some optional extra buttons for those who like everything and the kitchen sink.

I'll keep you posted when they're available.

Date: May 02, 2004 07:43AM

ndebord,

What I decided to do was produce what I call a "Bonus Pack" which essentially is a supplement to the regular Early-Blue theme, whereas instead of repackaging the whole theme over again with new toolbar items, instead what you get is a couple of new toolbars (with additional icons) and an instruction sheet (readme file) which contains the needed macros for the buttons. This I did keeping in mind people who haven't already done so originally.

Now in your case ndebord, if you're only after a Mail Client toolbar icon, and you already have Eyes-Only's macro in place for it, then I'd suggest that when you download the Bonus Pack, open up the SFX (the self-extrator that is in the archive) and extract it somewhere other than the default target folder (maybe a temp folder), and then just take out the toolhot, toolcold and tooldead bitmaps, and put them in the EarlyBlue folder (replace the originals with them).

Then all you have to do is add this entry somewhere in your toolbars.cfg file:

Mail {
macros(exec_Mail)
Open Mail Client
toolhot.bmp[14]
toolcold.bmp[14]
tooldead.bmp[14]
}

Dead simple really and what you'll end up with the new Open Mail Client button on your toolbar.

To grab a copy of the Bonus Pack, just recheck the Early-Blue section of my themes section of the Wiki:

Date: May 02, 2004 04:06PM

Al,

All the new themes are exciting. I expect, down the road, that eventually there will be a convergence in terms of what goes into a theme.

I find myself starting to use Thunderbird as my secondary email program, after Foxmail (my alltime favorite). I suspect I will be moving though precisely because thunderbird and its ilk are more robust.

N

Date: May 02, 2004 04:09PM

Al,

Just read your second message. Yes, the bonus pack concept is excellent. I will try it out with Early Blue right away!

N

Date: May 02, 2004 04:24PM

Al,

Thanks a lot for that bonus pack. Just got done downloading it and installing it. I now have my email client loaded up ton the main toolbar. (I've turned off all the other lines, as I really only need the combo of back/forward, etc., etc., along with the navigation dialog box along with my hotkeys for various apps and URLs.

Haven't begun to scratch the surface of the rest of what is in that bonus pack. Will try and absorb that later on tonite when I get home (I'm out the door now).

Tks again. And you too Eyes-Only. I think we need to have a faq talking about all the new possibilites here. I mean we're approaching capabilities that only Mozilla and Firefox have claimed in the past to ONLY work with XUL/XPI.

I refer to things like buttons to turn on/off Java stuff or Popups, etc.

N

Date: May 02, 2004 08:16PM

Thanks a lot for that bonus pack. Just got done downloading it and installing it. I now have my email client loaded up ton the main toolbar. (I've turned off all the other lines, as I really only need the combo of back/forward, etc., etc., along with the navigation dialog box along with my hotkeys for various apps and URLs.

Well I decided to include as many buttons as possible to cover all bases, and as you have mentioned it's quite easy to disable anything you don't want.

Haven't begun to scratch the surface of the rest of what is in that bonus pack. Will try and absorb that later on tonite when I get home (I'm out the door now).

Don't worry there isn't anything really new in there, in fact I just decided to include some of the extra buttons which up until now Eyes-Only has been including in his own themes. I just thought it'd be nifty to have an option to "expand" the default Early-Blue theme in a way, only if you want to. Otherwise if you don't want it, you can just stick with the regular/classic Early-Blue.

Tks again. And you too Eyes-Only. I think we need to have a faq talking about all the new possibilites here. I mean we're approaching capabilities that only Mozilla and Firefox have claimed in the past to ONLY work with XUL/XPI.

Well that's the magic of macros, and even then we're just scratching the surface really.

Date: May 02, 2004 11:28PM

Al,

OK, enabled the javascript toggle on toolbars. Wonder if that could be setup instead as a button on the main toolbar similar to the popup toggle button?

Early Blue, with the changes youse guys have implemented is now my favorite theme. I will take a look at some of Eyes-Only's themes to see what can be taken from there to be implemented in Early Blu.

Tks!

N

Date: May 03, 2004 07:01AM

OK, enabled the javascript toggle on toolbars. Wonder if that could be setup instead as a button on the main toolbar similar to the popup toggle button?

Blimey didn't think of that one. Yes it can be set up like that, as long as there is a button there for it. Oh well might have to do another re-do.

Prepare for Bonus Pack v2...

Early Blue, with the changes youse guys have implemented is now my favorite theme. I will take a look at some of Eyes-Only's themes to see what can be taken from there to be implemented in Early Blu.

I'm pretty sure I covered all bases there and included any additional feature I could. One button which is there but isn't enabled by default is Eyes-Only's "Clear Cache and History" button, as it requires that you have the program called ComClear installed, which I have heard doesn't work thoroughly enough with K-Meleon. As an alternative to using ComClear, I was toying with the possibilty of including a cleanup.bat file with the Bonus Pack, but that would of course have to be manually edited by the user to include the correct paths for the different items to be cleared, which of course varies from user to user. I think I'll keep that idea on the backburner for now at least.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: May 03, 2004 05:18PM

One button which is there but isn't enabled by default is Eyes-Only's "Clear Cache and History" button, as it requires that you have the program called ComClear installed, which I have heard doesn't work thoroughly enough with K-Meleon. As an alternative to using ComClear, I was toying with the possibilty of including a cleanup.bat file with the Bonus Pack, but that would of course have to be manually edited by the user to include the correct paths for the different items to be cleared, which of course varies from user to user. I think I'll keep that idea on the backburner for now at least.

I believe Eyes-Only created that before Romanito made the Privacy Plugin. It solves all the problems you mentioned.

Date: May 03, 2004 08:54PM

Al,

The java/javascript button on the main toolbar would be great. As would the cache/history thing too, but as you note, the 3rd party utility is not reay for prime time with KM, so....down the road maybe.

jsjn, I'm not familiar with Roanito's Privacy Plugin. Will have to look at it, but in the same veing, to my mind there is plenty of room for all 3 (popup, java and Privacy) on the main toolbar along with the URL/Navigation dialog box there. Works for me!

<g>

N

Date: May 04, 2004 12:45AM

The java/javascript button on the main toolbar would be great. As would the cache/history thing too, but as you note, the 3rd party utility is not reay for prime time with KM, so....down the road maybe.

To tell you the truth ComClear hasn't been worked on in years, in fact it was originally designed to work with Netscape Navigator v4 so it was a fluke that in a way it sort of worked with K-Meleon, but not entirely. As K-Meleon uses a slightly different way of storing profiles it was bound not to clear everything.

Anyway having said that, I will include a trash-esque style icon on the toolbar if ever a need for it should arise within somebody (and just to ensure that almost all eventualities are covered). Stay tuned I'll let you know when the "final" version of the Bonus Pack is available...

Date: May 04, 2004 01:01AM

Al,

In case anybody is wondering, my reasoning for putting it all on one toolbar is simple. I have one of those smaller 3 lb notebooks and screen space is at a premium.

I'm always looking for ways to get it all on one line or one line along with hotkeys and menu dropdowns.

Trash-esque is good!

<g>

N

Date: May 04, 2004 03:59AM

Ok, hopefully I've nailed it this time and included enough icons to cover any additional functions which can be thrown in with some popular macros. So head on over to the Wiki and grab yourself a copy of, dum de dum... the updated Bonus Pack.

Don't forget to refresh the page before re-downloading the Bonus Pack.

Just so you know, the extra buttons I've put in have been "optionalised" in the toolbars.cfg file, so you have to activate the buttons yourself, and also deactivate any you don't want. Also seeing's how you liked the idea of the "Enable / Disable JavaScript" button so much, I decided to also include an "Enable / Disable Java" button and relevant macro (in the Readme for Bonus Pack text file) for those folks who also want to disable Java on the fly, which is another neat function.

One other thing, if you also want to at some future date add in the JuJuLand Privacy Toolbar( http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=SkinsAndThrobbers#adds ), then I have included icons in the toolbar and bonus bitmaps for the Image Block and the Cookies Block buttons. You'll just have to add in the related toolbar entries and macros yourself (should be a piece of cake).

Date: May 04, 2004 12:48PM

Al,

Much thanks. I'll have to get it and install asap!

N

Date: May 04, 2004 01:08PM

Al,

What can I say? It's great. Now KM has some of the functionality that PrefBar gives to Mozilla and PrefButtons gives to FireFox!!!!

I have loaded up both Java and Javascript buttons. I noticed that there were duplicate entries in the file, probably Eyes-Only stuff there, so I just commented them out. Also saw a couple duplicate { brackets, so removed them too. I passed on the Cache thing for now, figuring that down the road that too can be improved and I'll revisit it then.

My toolbar looks like this. Back, Forward, Stop, Reload, Home, Search Print, History, Email, Java, JavaScript and Popup Blocker and still plenty of room for the navigation/url dialog box. The coffee cup for Java is inspired and the JS text is good too as it differentiates it all. Very nice.

N

Date: May 04, 2004 08:16PM

I have loaded up both Java and Javascript buttons. I noticed that there were duplicate entries in the file, probably Eyes-Only stuff there, so I just commented them out. Also saw a couple duplicate { brackets, so removed them too. I passed on the Cache thing for now, figuring that down the road that too can be improved and I'll revisit it then.

Well my original idea was and still is to have those buttons as a small seperate toolbar rather than buttons on the main toolbar, so that's why you noticed duplicate entries. The duplicate entries being in this case the main toolbar buttons I put in for your (and anyone else who needs them) benefit.

My toolbar looks like this. Back, Forward, Stop, Reload, Home, Search Print, History, Email, Java, JavaScript and Popup Blocker and still plenty of room for the navigation/url dialog box. The coffee cup for Java is inspired and the JS text is good too as it differentiates it all. Very nice.

Sounds good. Now that I've got the format right in the future any other Bonus Packs for my other themes will probably follow along the same lines.

Date: May 05, 2004 03:33AM

Al,

Ah Ha! That''s why there were duplicate entires. Not everyone wants it all on one line like me. <sound of hand slapping forehead>

In any event, it works perfectly and since I've always loved Early Blue, I'm in Heaven!

N

Date: May 05, 2004 05:27AM

Al,

Not sure I understand the privacy thing (One other thing, if you also want to at some future date add in the JuJuLand Privacy Toolbar)

But, I'll revisit it tomorrow when I'm more awake. <g>

I think being able to erase the cache and history is important. Cookies, otoh, I handle the old-fashioned way. I write protect the file and unprotect it on the fly when I need to enable something. Or I use the ID/Password capability of all Gecko browsers.

N

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.