Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
What WIN32 API is used?
Posted by: John Blink
Date: May 07, 2004 06:56AM

I understand that kmeleon is a win32 program.

The reason I ask this question is that things like the status bar all other toolbar items look a bit crude.

I like that kmeleon has a simple design, but its looks don't wow me.

I am asking about the win32 api used because apps like SmartFTP have the MS OfficeXP look, and some others do too. I like that look.

Would it be difficult to port kmeleon to that? Or Office 2003.

eg.
http://www.windowsforms.net/images%5CWhidbeyFeatures%5CLayoutMerged.PNG

So what is the API used called, and is this used so people with win95 can use kmeleon?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What WIN32 API is used?
Posted by: Romanito
Date: May 07, 2004 08:11AM

K-Meleon uses "basic" Win32 controls. This navigator aims to be usable with every Windows versions and on low end systems, so fancy controls isn't a priority. The screenshots you provide shows a .NET application (using Windows Forms) which is more than just a Win32 program. .NET allows new features and new controls but requires the .NET framework to run.

I think that it's a good thing to use standard Win32 controls as it gives some consistency through all win32 platforms and allows one to use third party products to alter the application (WindowBlinds for instance).

If have Windows XP and feel the need for a modern look, you can use the Visual Styles Manifest.

Posted by: John Blink
Date: May 07, 2004 08:50AM

Thanks that looks much better with the VIsual Styles Manifest.

Posted by: ra
Date: May 07, 2004 01:12PM

But what about the places bar when opening or saving things (advanced dialog)? Most programs offer it and still work with old windows versions.

Posted by: Romanito
Date: May 07, 2004 05:07PM

Oops, I just realized I was wrong about the standard Win32 controls, K-Meleon is MFC based. I made a quick test with a standard Open dialog and the places bar is shown. I don't know much about MFC programming but I think that it could be fixed easily.

Posted by: ra
Date: May 08, 2004 04:52PM

It would be incredibly great if you could have a look at that and perhaps add your comments or suggestions to bug 682. I really miss this feature and would be thankful if anyone could help out in fixing/adding it.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.