Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
when may we expect a new version?
Posted by: Michiel
Date: May 08, 2004 06:24PM

Hi,

I just downloaded K-Meleon and I liked it! But I've also Mozilla Suite 1.7rc1 and Firefox 0.8. K-Meleon doesn't seem to be updated since a month or six. When does a newer version comes? I prefer recent browsers, and six months, that's not recent anymore... So when may we expect it?

Michiel (Belgium)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: when may we expect a new version?
Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: May 08, 2004 07:58PM

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=13301&t=13301 or
http://gratisdei.com/KM.htm (direct link to MonkeySage his website) for a good working nightly based on the Moz.1.7

But when I look at the developerslist I have the feeling that development is almost stopped....

Jan

Posted by: Andrew
Date: May 09, 2004 01:55AM

It's been one of those busy periods with the developers being tied up with other projects. Watch for some development news related to the upcoming release of Mozilla 1.7.

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: May 09, 2004 02:26AM

I'm not a Dev, and Andrew is the publicist of the Project. I'm just a lowlt beta tester. But it's been my experience that whenever there's been a rock-solid stable milestone of Mozilla's Gecko Runtime Engine---that's when all hell has broken loose around here and the Dev's have kept us busy testing one build after another for bugs or what-not.

And as Jan pointed out, there are MonkeeSage's un-Official K-Meleon's Nightly Builds, and the Official Project isn't dead. Work is going on in the background. And when you see it you'll say, "Oh boy! This was worth the wait!" smiling smiley

À la prochaine,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Posted by: Al.
Date: May 09, 2004 02:34AM

Yep patience is definately the key when it comes to K-Meleon and it's development. If anyone's been around here for any length of time, then they'll realise that there are indeed periods when it "seems" nothing is going on, and then just like our good friend Eyes-Only has mentioned, "all hell breaks loose". To me at the moment I have somehow suspected that they were waiting for the next Mozilla/Gecko release, so only time will tell if it's true or not. As there wasn't a huge quantum leap in the differences between Gecko v1.5 & v1.6, then just checking in bugs was always going to be what they were doing in the meantime.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 09, 2004 02:57PM

The Mozilla Foundation is in the process of producing what they call a "Gold Standard" release. This will be Mozilla v.17 and it is the underlying code for any number of concurrent or subsequent releases of other Gecko browsers. I suspect that any new K-Meleon release will be based on Mozilla 1.7 and whatever changes the developers have been working on both here and elsewhere.

N

Posted by: Michiel
Date: May 09, 2004 08:31PM

Yes, I know the Mozilla Foundation is working on its new stable release and it would be very nice if the new K-Meleon would be based on the new version (1.7). And that because Firefox 1.0, newer versions of Camino and Thunderbird and maybe even the new Netscape (!!!) will be based on 1.7, so K-Meleon could be a good alternative. It's just a pity that there hasn't been a version based on 1.6, but I didn't know 1.5 en 1.6 had so many differences. Sorry about that.

Date: May 09, 2004 09:21PM

The Mozilla Foundation is in the process of producing what they call a "Gold Standard" release. This will be Mozilla v.17 and it is the underlying code for any number of concurrent or subsequent releases of other Gecko browsers. I suspect that any new K-Meleon release will be based on Mozilla 1.7 and whatever changes the developers have been working on both here and elsewhere.

Which means that they'll be squashing as many bugs as possible as opposed to previous release which were just feature add-ins mainly.

Funny thing is though, Gecko v1.5 wasn't a "Gold" release though, as at the time the stable branch of Gecko was 1.4, with v1.4.1 being the current "rock solid" release, so I wonder why the K-Meleon devs went with 1.5 instead?

Date: May 11, 2004 01:42AM

Al,

They were talking about a new corporate standard every since they came out with Mozilla 1.4. Remember v1.4.2, the missing release that never saw the light of day?

I'm glad they'll be squaching bugs and figure that the next KM release will be quite an improvement. Lots of the grunt work was done here by Forum posters.

<g.

N

Posted by: ra
Date: May 11, 2004 06:14PM

Yeah, 1.4.2 was released today. smiling smiley

Date: May 12, 2004 04:03AM

Whoah. So they finally released v1.4.2. One could ask why bother since v1.7 is supposed to be the new "gold standard" to replace v1.4??????

<sheesh>

N

Date: May 12, 2004 07:14AM

It's mainly for developers building apps off of the stable branch of Mozilla, which until v1.7 final is out the door, v1.4 still is. To think, if K-Meleon 0.8.2 had been built on v1.4 of Gecko instead, then the devs could've got to work straight away on a new (stable) version of K-Meleon.

Look's like we'll have to wait now though. Which reminds me, has that developer's mailing list exploded into action yet? There are some good suggestions in the other "for the new release" thread now to spur on some discussion. ;-)

Posted by: Andrew
Date: May 12, 2004 02:42PM

Al,

No big discussions on the dev list yet. Feedback via that route is always appreciated!

Date: May 12, 2004 08:16PM

Al,

No big discussions on the dev list yet. Feedback via that route is always appreciated!

To get the ball rolling figuratively speaking. ;-) Maybe it's time to start collating the suggestions and put them to the devs.

Date: May 13, 2004 01:03AM

Al,

I don't really follow the developers list. I mostly post here. I figure Andrew reads this often enough and I leave up to youse guys who do the coding to contribute there.

<g>

N

Date: May 13, 2004 06:28AM

Al,

I don't really follow the developers list. I mostly post here. I figure Andrew reads this often enough and I leave up to youse guys who do the coding to contribute there.

The devs list has been quiet for some time now, so you're not really missing out on much action there. Why it's quiet though is sort of becoming a mystery though. Might be because of the timeline set out in the roadmap a hiatus for the devs has inadvertantly occurred, or as Andrew has also mentioned "other projects" have occupied the time of the devs. Or maybe...

But anyhow if there was some reassurance that a posting to the devs list and more importantly the devs themselves wouldn't fall on deaf ears, then maybe the devs list will fire up again with some pre-release discussion for 0.9. We now have some sound ideas for 0.9, it's now a matter of taking the next step.

Posted by: dpb
Date: May 13, 2004 07:10AM

Or maybe sourceforge has lost the mails? ;p

For interested people, you can read the mailing list archives here.
As you can see, there hasn't been much going on on it this year...

Date: May 13, 2004 08:51PM

Or maybe sourceforge has lost the mails? ;p

Well for the track record, and as a test example, I just fired off a message to it, so if it doesn't show up in the archives then there is something wrong with Sourceforge. Might also explain a few other things as well. ;-)

Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: May 16, 2004 10:52AM

I really hope that when a new release is made, it still is as flexible as now and not standard with all mentioned features integrated.
Make them available as plugins or macro's with an easy installation, but don't make a package with a lot of features most people not want because they have chosen KM because of its flexibility, speed and capability to trim it down to a lean as possible browser.

Jan.

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 16, 2004 02:54PM

@Al and ndebord, greetings!
do You know anything about the "translatable files" of 0.9.
I mean the files necessary for translation (adaptions for not English languages)
- i asked the person at the top of the dev list the same question by mail.

I did not merrit to be answered or the mail was lost.

the reason i ask You find from here:
http://home.htp-tel.de/sterntaler/startseite.html
both scripts work but i am still altering (working on them/they are alphas) them.

i am not sure whether the scripts are of any use to any one
(now or when finished) but:
if anyone wants anything like that for 0.9 done
- he or she best supplied info about 0.9 to my mail adress

kind regards from Hannover and have a nice weekend!

Date: May 16, 2004 03:17PM

Hi Guenter!

Well, having been your tester I can say that it works GREAT! To someone who knows English and can spell their own language well this will be a most great and beneficial tool for the KM Community! With a script like this there is no reason now why KM can't become the most widely-translated browser in the entire world. smiling smiley

It is really exciting Guenter! smiling smiley

À bientôt mon bon ami,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Date: May 17, 2004 04:24AM

Guenter,

Making KM easily available in foreign languages is a great addition.

I would have never thought of it as I am an American and a writer in that language and aside from a few words of French, Spanish and Cantonese, know not other tongues!

<g>

N

Date: May 17, 2004 04:43AM

hi Eyes-Only,
thx for testing the script. So there is an Akadian k-m menus now?
Or did You make it standart French? I am still worried about non European languages
And about languages with much Gramar like Finish & Hungarian...

I am also worried about next version 0.9, because I will need some time to alter to new Menues and so on, and I would hate to alter a java sript with hundreds commands in a hurry.

So in case any person know about alterations - try to inform me. thx & greetings.

Date: May 17, 2004 06:04AM

Finnish doesn't have much grammar imo...
I tried translating the File menu to finnish and worked ok. Didn't translate it fully cause I like english better ;p If someone would need a finnish menus file, I can make it though.

Date: May 17, 2004 01:29PM

thx for helping/testing dpb!
On Your result we can probably rule out trouble for Baltic and so on languagessmiling smiley

AFAIK Finish/Suomi has more case endings than even Russian.
You are right: doing the whole is not needed - only the reused parts worried me.
(I had the choice to make it short or...)

p.s . Complete Translations: Nobody should do any before 0.9 is out or we know the changes - not even if someone else wanted some translation for the last days of 0.8 -
Eyse-Only and me have made complete translations in case i made faults and parts of menus stay German when print button is pressed. He would have noticed thatwinking smiley

Date: May 18, 2004 09:57PM

HUH? What would I have noticed? hehe! Don't bet on that! There is actually very little that I notice and therefore I really make a very poor beta tester in most regards. sad smiley And yet still I keep on. Why? I do not know...

I think Guenter has a very good idea too about not making any more translations until 0.9 is out, because we just don't know how much the menus will be changed. And I can't remember how many changes there were between 0.71 and 0.8.2. So that is a decision with great Wisdom! I am, however, enjoying very much my very own translation. winking smiley

As to an Akadien translation: No, as there is no official grammar. It's only a spoken language. I know that you and I have discussed this in private Guenter but I thought that I would answer that on the forum so that the others would know as well. winking smiley Our daughter language, Cajun, is a written language now. But unfortunately I don't know how to write it.

For myself, when I "write in Akadien" to someone who speaks French, to show them the differences, I just use French letters and accents because, where it IS French from the 15th and 16th Centuries it is therefore related. But could an Akadien read it? Doubtful.

Eh bien, comme on dit en français: "C'est la guerre!" winking smiley

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Date: May 19, 2004 06:16AM

I disagree with You Eyes-Only!
You would have noticed anything that is wrong in the design of the script, and if anything remained untranslated (German or English) - You would have noticed too.

I had done several test translations alone. But i was not likely to notice if anything German or Englisg remained - since i speak German, and was handling a mixed English/German file all the time when working on the script.

With 0.9 i have no feedback from people i asked wheather menus and other translatable files are going to be changed. I hope to get info in time. Because
I would hate to make last minute/hurried changes in a java.script that has several hundred commands.

As too writing Akadian: Like French, like any other related Romance language - or using American sound values of letters?

The latter would be an option for Akadians that only had American (ca or us) in school. Since they know how Akadian sounds are pronounced any combination of letters that is pronounced similar in American would do for them.
Best regards

Date: May 19, 2004 12:19PM

With 0.9 i have no feedback from people i asked wheather menus and other translatable files are going to be changed. I hope to get info in time. Because
I would hate to make last minute/hurried changes in a java.script that has several hundred commands.

There probably wont be much changes to the menu file. Maybe some little ones, which can be changed in your script in minutes.

But I don't really know if there's changes or not. I advice you to post this on the development mailing list and see if anyone would know the answer there. The main core developer seems to be Ulf at the moment and he doesn't seem to be on the forums much, but he seems to read the mailing list and answer to questions.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: May 19, 2004 06:10PM

Not even close to being at that stage yet. Once betas start rolling out, then any possible changes to menus you'd see in them, but as dpb said, there probably won't be any major revamping so any changes will be minimal if at all.

Date: May 20, 2004 05:19AM

@ dpb & jsnj - thx for info. You get a point there!

But i got to be finished ahead of people that do translations, the script as such works. To make it user friendly (shorter) i made it re-use words and frases, which might be wrong for/with some languages (i always worry - do not tell me)?

best regards

p. s. (jsnj i am very happy with Your resume at the same place script smiling smiley -"groups" - I hope this will be included in 0.9!)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.