Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
macro development
Posted by: Sebastian
Date: May 31, 2004 12:17AM

Hello Boys and Girls,

I made my own version of K-Meleon 0.8.2 with a
-Up Directory Button
-Popup Blocker
-Image Blocker
-JavaScript Blocker
-Java Blocker

in the Tool Bar.
If you want to test it download it here.

http://www.labanet.de/upload/mozilla-K-Meleon_0.8.2_win_en_opt_31.05.04.rar
(4,7MByte)
Have you critics, suggestions?
I want to include a "tuning button" with the same function like the
"Mozilla Optimizer 1.6.1" from Computerbase.de

If you are bored, you kann make a new image for the
blockers. They can also be greater.Maybe 20*20px.
You can even make the whole toolbar buttons greater.
I dont like the original 24x24 buttons from the kute-theme.
They are to bad made.

Have a nice day
Sebastian from Germany

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: macro development
Posted by: Al.
Date: May 31, 2004 02:20AM

Hello Boys and Girls,

I made my own version of K-Meleon 0.8.2 with a
-Up Directory Button
-Popup Blocker
-Image Blocker
-JavaScript Blocker
-Java Blocker

in the Tool Bar.
If you want to test it download it here.

Sounds to me like stuff you could have included in a K-Meleon theme as opposed to zipping up and forcing people to download a complete K-Meleon archive, especially if there isn't anything else *new* or *different* about it (at least you haven't mentioned anything else).

Take a look at some of my themes especially the ones with Bonus Packs: the Bonus Packs contain just the necessary extras needed to achieve the same functionality of your own "full blown K-Meleon archive".

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 31, 2004 05:34AM

thx Sebastian - i will give it a try.
hope Sebation You give me a choice whether to use sun java, i make applet animations - and will need java much!

hi Al - 4.7 mb - does not sound like all k-m, does it? that downloads in a couple of minutes even with modem? (if all k-m it has been made small real nice!)

Also: this seems a thing done for end users - not all people have time and nkow how to use and alter the beautiful themes You and other people make?

I am about to try to add end user help into my translation page (third version).

& maybe making many/several custom made issues is a solution to us not having such FF xpi additions (and fine people go away?).

best regards to You two from Hannover

Posted by: dpb
Date: May 31, 2004 07:04AM

hi Al - 4.7 mb - does not sound like all k-m, does it? that downloads in a couple of minutes even with modem? (if all k-m it has been made small real nice!)

The 8.2 installer is 5.04 mb. That package is just probably packed a bit more, but there isn't a large difference in the size. And if by modem you mean a 56k modem, then no, it does not download in a couple of minutes. It takes about 30 minutes I think.

And to use themes is easy. Just download it, unpack it in the skins directory, change it from the preferences and restart K-Meleon. That's all you gotta do.

Date: May 31, 2004 07:55AM

Also: this seems a thing done for end users - not all people have time and nkow how to use and alter the beautiful themes You and other people make?

You don't really have to alter anything at all, except follow some easy instructions which are included with the Bonus Packs, and add in a couple of macros. With the Bonus Packs the toolbar buttons are present for each additional "function" you wish to have with K-Meleon.

For instance, if you follow the lead of ndebord and download the Early-Blue theme, if you then download and install the Bonus Pack for Early-Blue, these are the additional toolbar buttons you will get:

*Open Mail Client.
*Enable / Disable Java.
*Enable / Disable Javascript.
*My K-Meleon.
*Google News.
*Search Google.
& the optional *Clear Cache and Cookies button.

Alternatively to my Bonus Pack deal, JuJuLand of course has his own additional toolbar packs with assorted macro functions available from the Wiki @:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=SkinsAndThrobbers#adds

Date: May 31, 2004 08:48AM

Howdy to all,
I am well in my 50ties and no boy so I never complain about the teeth of a gift horse. i feel: that i have a lock at Sebatians contribution and say thanx.
What was wrong about that?

and @dpb and Al, you are right: BUT at 30 minutes and 56kb/s it loads down much faster than i (as a not English speaker) can edit a theme in the way Sebastian did! I am no programer or themer like You two.

I understand enough English to read your themes instructions, okie?
(but some people speeak & understand even less than me!)
Did You ever think of that? winking smiley

have a nice weekend and greetings from Hannover

Date: May 31, 2004 09:37AM

about German translation of k-m menus: (and other translations // probably)

hi Sebatian,
deine änderungen laufen hier ganz gut.
ich werde sie (deine erlaunbnis voraussetzend) versuchen in die nächste version meines übsetzungsscriptes teilweise einzubauen
(sun java abschalten aber nicht! grinz!).
eine deutsche übersetzung des k-m menus
inclusive jsnjs gruppenmacro gibt es derzeit via:
http://home.htp-tel.de/sterntaler/startseite.html
schönes WE

Date: May 31, 2004 09:25PM

and @dpb and Al, you are right: BUT at 30 minutes and 56kb/s it loads down much faster than i (as a not English speaker) can edit a theme in the way Sebastian did! I am no programer or themer like You two.

Well actually dpb is a coder/programmer, I'm just a themer. But anyway if you really think about it 30minutes could be better spent doing something better. ;-)

Now onto something else that Sebastian mentioned and I just checked out. Mozilla Optimizer 1.6.1, whilst sounding like a neat program/add-on, is in fact just a set of prefs that most K-Meleon users would be quite aware of. In fact looking at the readme, these are the prefs it adds into Mozilla:

user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 100);
user_pref("content.notify.ontimer", true);
user_pref("content.notify.interval", 100000);
user_pref("content.notify.backoffcount", 5);
user_pref("network.http.pipelining", true);
user_pref("network.http.proxy.pipelining", true);
user_pref("network.http.pipelining.maxrequests", 8);
user_pref("network.http.max-connections", 32);
user_pref("network.http.max-connections-per-server", 8);
user_pref("network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy", 4);
user_pref("network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server", 2);

These settings are already available elsewhere on the Wiki I believe.

Date: June 01, 2004 06:02AM

Yes Al,
I think these speed tweaks are somewhere in the resource page and in Forum General, but that does not matter because
- people do only find what they are told off and search (sort of expect to exist).
and it is much easier for You or me to find and repost than explain where they arewinking smiley

I sometimes think we should issue things like that as a read me with install files.
It is certainly a frequnetly looked for thing. I had a brush with someone from Belgium lately (we both did not speak English too well, lol ) and he did not understand that all Gecko browsers use almost the same speed tweaks and why i posted a link to Mozilla pages about that; )

Actually the speed tweaks You posted here, are the ones that are best used with d-sl. there are some for isdn and modem too - but those two are more like/similar to standart issue (default? settings).

I personaly have d-sl so i did not really calculate the time. I am hacking at the translation script. But I remember well how forlorn i was with my first attempts to integrate a macro or alter a theme. So I felt that it is a good thing for someone to put up a complete or almost complete browser with a few nice tweaks and macros.
The people that do not speak English will have a harder time altering these.
Best regards from Hannover

Date: June 01, 2004 07:26AM

I sometimes think we should issue things like that as a read me with install files.
It is certainly a frequnetly looked for thing. I had a brush with someone from Belgium lately (we both did not speak English too well, lol ) and he did not understand that all Gecko browsers use almost the same speed tweaks and why i posted a link to Mozilla pages about that; )

Well the most confusing part for most is where to put them if you do find them. We know from experience where K-Meleon stores such information, but Firefox, Beonex, Seamonkey, now that's something which isn't so obvious.

You might be on to something there with the idea of packaging the suggested speed tweaks together in maybe a text file, which could be considered a "Speed Enhancement" sort of package for novice users. That would save them the time spent looking for such things.

Date: June 01, 2004 07:56AM

Hello,
I added the buttons without knowing that there are already existing macrofunctions on the net. I changed the PBToggle function.
I downloaded the themes to view what is in there.
My conclusion: Just copying the functions to the macros.cfg cannot work. You have to adjust the buttonSync-Function and the buttons in the toolbars.cfg.
For the normal user it is to difficult.

In most themes the close_layer_button does not work.

I know that the mozilla optimizer just changes options in the prefs.js
But then you can change it by "clicking" and not "copy + pasting"

in my version I also added flash.dll, the theme Early Blue and the privacy-plugin.

best regards.

Date: June 01, 2004 12:44PM

hi You two:
Al - about confusing:

maybe a clickable (or checkboxe) java script to insert things into user.js (like speed tweaks...)

maybe hung in as part of the bookmarks or something in that line.

Or something like German FF where they made a few bookmaks that guide users to German help and to some much wanted resources.

about place where profile is stored: I know where the other Geckos have them -
but that is one reason why i use k-m (he has all together in one place).

Sebastian - If You have space on You page why not? As it is: many beginners do not see/find what k-m Forum people have already done & stored in the Wiki...
(themes, macros just name it! and far out of proportion to their small number!)

Jordan had added similar nice extras with his private builds.

I think that was a good idea.
Experinaced users passing around their already customized builds and/or themes.
this shows relative newbees like me better what can be done.

Giving these adapted to purpose K-Ms to those that can not (yet) customize (or have no time ..?) is a good thing.

to save space and download volume: may-beYou could kind of pre-pack: macors and the other stuff needed so that all things needed fall into right place when unpacked? (and things that are the same with all installs do not need downloaded again?)

But i am not sure whether the later is possible? Got to prepare to go to work now, best regards from Hannover

Date: June 01, 2004 09:55PM

Maybe two versions: the fully customized K-Meleon version on offer, and then alternatively an archive just containing the extras needed to achieve the same result perhaps, for those on low bandwith? It's always good to have a choice.

Date: June 02, 2004 09:28AM

Yes Al,
if there is no other way -> several issues!

Else try: basic exe, dlls and that what is needed by all.

Next/then Archives containing extras.
Maybe auto installing "end user proof" things.

Archives with "Themes" that offer extras for those that need a certain configuration.

Such as "Minimalistic" with macro to block flash...&.. for fast surfing on lean pc?
or "Phobic" with a switch out all, help me, some one is attacking me button?

& to exagurate a little more:
also have a "Ritz" theme with all catered for.
Min required: 512 ram and 19 inch monitor? including auto find e-mail program buttler script? an FF style xul download manager and front end to use FF xpi.
For people that do not care or do not have to care about lean applications?

About Archives: the type of "theme" Jordan has made around his rolls and Sebastian is offering now. Maybe make that - ?

Else: it would be better to have instalable modular additions.
But I fear we do not have interfaces to build them on.
Maybe use/integrate the nesearry mechanisms from FF.
Only a little easier k-m style to use?

I feel that Forum know so much and produced so many ideas,
because we have a browser that makes learning how to theme and tweak easy?
Therefore nothing should be made complicated FF way?

Sorry if i said anything that is oposing anyone ideas, i am just thinking aloudwinking smiley
best regards from Hannover

Date: June 02, 2004 02:12PM

Hi boys and girls,

I made an update for my own version available above.
Here is the update.
]http://www.labanet.de/upload/update1_02.06.04.rar
(7KByte)

Changes:
It adds a plugins menu.
Blocker, Preferences, View Source and Increase/Decrease Font in a new "Special Bar".
Added: New Layer/Close Layer Button
Added:Help->Advanced to view some spcial things.

Instruction:
IMPORTANT: Delete the whole Profiles-Folder and copy the update over the MY full version.
The EarlyBlue theme is not yet updated .

Date: June 03, 2004 05:05AM

thx for update, as before.
greetings from Hannover

p. s. bin mit meinem kram nicht viel weiter gekommen.

Date: June 03, 2004 09:48AM

I give up development under 0.8.2

I will continue development under monkeysage version 1.7a.
Gods sake that I downloaded it, because he does not offer it any more.
If I shall upload the original monkeysage version 1.7a, just post it.

Greetings
Sebastian from Rostock/Germany

Date: June 03, 2004 12:06PM

hi Sebastian,
there will be no more "nightlys" based on that branch, unless You can compile?
I personaly think his "themes and macros" are the most valuable part of his project.

Since i use one of his brews it does not matter to me where & what You develop!
best regards

p. s.
I hope U understand the following explanation, in English i could not express it,
if U do not understand German? 2 bad.
and keep up Your good work! even if U do not understand me.

kannst du genug um seine macros nach 0.9 zu bringen? // das wäre gut!
weil sein release ist nicht so stabil, aber seine macros sind sehr gut.
er kann besser xul als c.

ich benutze mehrere k-m - auch seinen 1.6 & 1.7!

warum? ich passe mir "themen k-m" an das an, was ich grad tun will.
und starte den k-m der dafür passt, was anliegt.
diese anpassungen gehen mit k-m sehr leicht.
alle haben ihre eigenen bookmarks, bookmarklets, mimetyes.rdf...
und bis 0.7 hatten sie auch maßgeschneiderte plugin ausstatungen.

wenn du kannst, versuche bitte deine "themen" für alle k-m zu machen.

das muß/sollte gehen, ich erinnere einen thread wo m. E. jsnj sagte,
er benutzte einen hybriden aus standart exe und anderen sachen aus dem 1.6.

ich werde sowieso einen teil meiner übersetzungsseite auf ein "thema" abstellen, das aus sachen von jordan & einem theme von meinem freund "pau rouge" zusammengesetzt ist.

also auf dem thema - das ich am meisten nutze. gruss

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.