Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
new k-meleon release
Posted by: Sebastian
Date: June 04, 2004 09:28AM

when we my expect a new release?
It is time.
With all available plugins and makros and a installer!
P.S. Where can I get the last nsi-file of the k-meleon version 0.8.2?
The one in the sourcecode is to old.

greetings

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new k-meleon release
Posted by: guenter
Date: June 04, 2004 02:39PM

devs are working on 0.9.
see the request for people with old systems to give a hand testing by rmn in General forum.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=15903&t=15903

Question: what is an nsi file?
because there is also a link to resources?
regards

Posted by: Al.
Date: June 04, 2004 10:17PM

Well there is a sort of development going on. Ulf did release a "test" build of K-Meleon based upon Mozilla v1.7 RC2 a week or so ago, mainly for Andrew's benefit to test a couple of things, however apart from that Ulf has effectively delayed any new release because "K-Meleon hasn't been worked upon for six months?" (ignoring the bug fixes which have been checked into the CVS by the likes of Monkeesage and Marc as well), and thusly he feels that the next version of K-Meleon should instead of being based upon Mozilla v1.7 (the stable branch) it should be based upon v1.8 (experimental feature add-in version). Of course this announcement he made was just before Mozilla v1.8 Alpha 1 just came out, so I wonder if that will change anything?

Anyway as usual, be patient. The best thing people can of course do is sign onto the developer's mailing list and chip in ideas and suggestions. That may or may not help the developers along and also give them an idea that people really are interested in any new versions of K-Meleon.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 05, 2004 01:36AM

Al,

Is there any advantage to having KM based on Mozilla 1.8 instead of the stable branch 1.7?

N

Date: June 05, 2004 02:27AM

Is there any advantage to having KM based on Mozilla 1.8 instead of the stable branch 1.7?

Probably not. Mozilla v1.7 will as everybody knows by now be the latest "stable" branch from which developers can draw upon and base applications upon, so it would be a very desirable base for K-Meleon. To me basing K-Meleon upon non-stable branches (which is the way it's been so far) is just asking for bugs. I can't help but wonder what bugs could've been avoided if for instance K-Meleon v0.8.2 was based upon the then current stable branch of gecko v1.4 (now as you know v1.4.2). Firefox v0.9 and then the real milestone v1.0 will of course be built upon Mozilla v1.7, so you can probably bet your bottom dollar that 1.7 will indeed be "well built" and fast.

Date: June 05, 2004 08:52AM

can someone else built a 0.9 on 1.7 then?

Date: June 05, 2004 11:07AM

Reason: do You remember 0.8 - when do we learn?

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: June 06, 2004 02:20AM

Hmm... Not to play "Devil's Advocate", or to be the proverbial "fly in the ointment" (like I always seem to be?) but I've never seemed to have had very good luck with any of the 1.7 builds of Mozilla on my computer (Aston built upon Win98 SE with an AMD Athlon 1.4 clocked at 1.8 pIV). And yet I've had fabulous luck with 1.8a1 on my computer only finding a couple of very minor bugs---and those were in the mail section of the CVS which wouldn't affect the KM side (AFAIK).

Should be interesting. If anything it'll give all of us something to do in our spare time I suppose? winking smiley

À bientôt!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 06, 2004 05:09PM

Thanks everyone. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out with a new KM based on Moz 1.8.

N

Date: June 07, 2004 06:00AM

well if nothing wrong but mail ? - that does not sound too bad.

but finals are also groomed for speed not only stabilty.

why is Ulf so keen on 1.8?
any killer goodies in that?

1.5 had scripting of appelts and some nice things,
but i am not sure about the features of 1.8
best regards You 2.

Date: June 07, 2004 09:12AM

why is Ulf so keen on 1.8?
any killer goodies in that?

Well it is a delaying tactic. I don't think he wants to commit to doing a K-Meleon version based on 1.7 because he has time constraints(?). Well that's my guess anyway.

Date: June 07, 2004 09:17AM

btw, here's the list of features being added into v1.8 of Mozilla:
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.8a1/README.html

As you can see, it is typical of a "feature add-in release".

Date: June 07, 2004 12:19PM

Al really!
- we can stuff a fat goose with things done by jsnj, alain, jordan..plus the themers,
just to mention a few names and a group, but there is more.
This does not yet mention Romanitos work // which is a lot as well!
And Ulf has done things too.

We are going for another 0.. release not a final! (keep the church in the parish).

- forget about the bugg with mfc42 (ship one dll for compatebility for old 95/95 users, like any other software house) get the download manager that writes mimtypes rdf from FF (in xul if no time to make it to our standarts and speed).

and perhaps perfect Jordans mime types handler.

Maybe make an interface that makes FF extensions (xpi) usable for us (if needed by a few users)

and let the little anoying not really consequential buggs alone if they eat to much time in which he/ulf must earn money?

All understand that k-m is a hobby not a job, nobody would blame Ulf for saying, ok
but we/i must set a priority.

If Ulf feels like 0.9 must be totally bug fixed?

lets have a 0.85 to test fine new macros... with a new Gecko.
and see what the existing stuff is worth while we wait for mozzi.org & 1.8?

We could have improvement from tried and proven macros stored in wiki now!
Why worry about a tiny km-plugin that bleeds a few kb - i have a whole OS like that since i had to go from win32s to win9x and could not use other dos memory managers anymore.
best regards from Hannover

Date: June 07, 2004 12:26PM

Al thx for link -
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.8a1/README.html

i am not English and may missunderstand as so often happened to me in Forum too:
Ergo i might be wrong:

but to me that contains nothing we do not already have (!sic!) or urgently need.
greetings from Hannover

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: June 07, 2004 10:02PM

Maybe that was Al's point---that it doesn't really contain any killer features but is a ho-hum upgrade. winking smiley

I still stand by my statement though that on my computer 1.8a1 (it's now to a2 I believe) is way more stable than any of the 1.7 builds. I think Mozilla.org is making a very BIG mistake in basing their "core release", or whatever they call it, on this build. It crashed on me a lot, gave me a lot of error readings (something Mozilla has NEVER DONE in the past!), and whatever. And on the email side: I couldn't even get one written on the thing without getting halfway through each time and the client going kaput on me! Take that back: I think I got the grand total of ONE written. However, I remember using the browser and saying many, many times, "And they're going to use this as the 'Great Version'? What a farce!" I wanted to cry---what have they don't to the browser I'd come to love so much? Sorry folks... I take my Gecko very seriously. sad smiley

Browsing with 1.8a1? Not a single problem, as I stated earlier, in the browser side of the programme (nor in the Composer nor Chatzilla). So I could be wrong, but I think it's a very wise decision from my experience, to base KM from the 1.8 trunk.

But as all things in the software world: Once a programme is released into the "Wild Jungle" it's always caveat emptor...

My 2½¢. User mileage may vary. winking smiley

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.