Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Theme
Posted by: Yop
Date: June 07, 2004 11:46AM

Hi there. Just like to know, if i create a theme for KM what img formats can be used? is it only .BMP? like to use .PNG, .JPEG, .GIF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Theme
Posted by: guenter
Date: June 07, 2004 12:35PM

hi Yop,
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=TutorialSkinning

any bitmaps and some other info there...

& the last word has the experiment.
easy and fast enough to test with e. g. irfan view or xnview.

and tell me when You are finished!

Date: June 07, 2004 01:19PM

any bitmap? that is .BMP ? i having problems to make the bmp files transparent like png, gif or am i missing something ?

Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: June 07, 2004 01:50PM

Look here for the solution:

http://gratisdei.com/KM-UI.htm

Your 'transparent' must have the color #FF00FF

Good luck,
Jan

Date: June 07, 2004 02:04PM

yep i did notice that smiling smiley but still it don't look as nice, when as when using a .png 24bit color

Is the KM going to support other formats in the future ?
Nice browser anyway.

//Mike

Posted by: rmn
Date: June 07, 2004 04:18PM

I think I've read somewhere that K-Meleon uses the standard Windows' (or MFC's?) way of creating toolbars (... well, something like that...), and it only supports bmp's.

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: June 07, 2004 09:41PM

Exactly rmn. And if I remember right that's for those who are still using win95. If I remember rightly the reasons why other Geckos can get away with the .png formats in their builds is because they're based on .XUL and not on the native Windows environment like we are, and this is how they're able to use .png on a Win95 system.

A rather simplistic explanation but I seem to recall that this is basically it all boiled down into a nutshell. winking smiley If I'm wrong would someone please correct me? I'd appreciate the refresher course! smiling smiley

Oh! And Mike? I use 24bit for my themes. Granted I'm colour blind but they seem okie to me. And I use Rapido's "Crystal2" theme extensively as it matches with my current shell theme. His crystal icons look no different from everaldo's original .png sets (which I have). Are you using an editor that can work in 24bit? (Maybe a stupid question but I'm known around here as the "King of Stupid Questions". lol!)

À bientôt mes amis!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Posted by: Al.
Date: June 07, 2004 10:05PM

Yop,
You know this is exactly the problem I figured a few people have when doing themes for K-Meleon, and that is how to assemble a toolbar bitmap correctly. At the moment for the benefit's of some of the Themers Yahoo! Group members I am assembling a reference guide which explains how to do it. For your benefit I'll quickly explain the procedures...

In the meantime, here's the best way of explaining it for you. The toolbar bitmap (and also the menu bitmap) is made up of seperate icons (images) pasted together to form a singular bitmap file. For the transparency of the background of the images to occur, the background colour needs to be magenta, the RGB code of which is 255,0,255. The icons are edited first (using an icon editor and then saving them to bitmaps (.bmp), and then you can use a program as simple as MS Paint to put them together into the singular toolbar bitmap. To do this is straightforward enough: the toolbar bitmap needs to be the height of your icons images (eg. 24pixels) and the width is that number multiplied by the number of icons you will be including in the strip itself. So for instance if you have 24 icons, then the dimensions of the toolbar bitmap will be: height 24 pixels, width 576 pixels (24*24). The size of the bitmap can be adjusted in Paint by going to the Image menu item and selecting Attributes.

Once you have adjusted the size of it, then you just paste in the icons, aligning them side by side by using the Edit - Paste From... menu item. Anytime you paste in an icon it's postion can be moved around by clicking on the image and dragging it whilst holding down the mouse button.

Now if you got the dimensions right, and all the images fit in snuggly (no overlapping or empty spaces), then all you then have to do is save the bitmap as either toolhot.bmp, toolcold.bmp or tooldead.bmp (yes you need to have three of them in the theme's respective folder in order for it to function fully.

Now, when you come to referencing the icons on the toolbar bitmaps (in the toolbars.cfg file), each one will have a corresponding number to reference to. The very first image is 0, and then subsequently 1,2,3... and so on.

To me the best policy is usually to reference the "default" theme as much as possible when doing a new theme, making sure that icons correspond etc. That way you're not likely to get into too much of a mess when doing a theme, plus you can be reassured that it'll work the best way possible.

Date: June 07, 2004 10:14PM

Oh! And Mike? I use 24bit for my themes. Granted I'm colour blind but they seem okie to me. And I use Rapido's "Crystal2" theme extensively as it matches with my current shell theme. His crystal icons look no different from everaldo's original .png sets (which I have). Are you using an editor that can work in 24bit? (Maybe a stupid question but I'm known around here as the "King of Stupid Questions". lol!)

I hate to tell you this, however most of Rapido's themes are just "ports" from either Neoplanet or MyIE2, which means all he did was take the theme elements (eg. the toolbar bitmaps) out of the original themes archive, and then just adjusted them to work with K-Meleon (adjusted the toolbars.cfg file). It's most noticable when you look at the menu bitmaps, as the images do not usually match the corresponding menu item "function".

So when you say that the icons are the same as everaldo's, well they probably are one and the same. ;-)

Posted by: jsnj
Date: June 08, 2004 01:49AM

Yeah, that's why I note in my theme captions where I get the files from. I wouldn't want any of the creators to be browsing by the site and notice their creations blatantly copied without reference. You have to download the theme and search the comments section in toolbars.cfg to find a ref to the creators of Rapido's files which is kind of naughty. :-)

Date: June 08, 2004 08:00AM

ok thanks for all the answers smiling smiley

Date: June 08, 2004 09:38PM

You have to download the theme and search the comments section in toolbars.cfg to find a ref to the creators of Rapido's files which is kind of naughty. :-)

In the very least he should've included a "readme.txt" file in the themes with his email address on there, so if anybody did have a problem with what he's done, they can let him know. If anybody's not so experienced with K-Meleon themes they're certainly not going to think to look in the toolbars.cfg file for details. ;-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.