Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
What happened to Eyes-Only's build
Posted by: PJ
Date: August 11, 2004 04:07PM

Hi Guys,
being offline owing to harddrive failure and short of readies for the last couple of weeks I've lost the plot. Whats the latest on the build?

PJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What happened to Eyes-Only's build
Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 11, 2004 07:27PM

PJ,

Last I heard they're (including Eyes-Only) are still working on it to fix a couple lingering bugs. Can't say exactly when it will come out, but am sure it will "any day now."

<g>

N

Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: August 11, 2004 07:50PM

Ndebord is right.

Eyes-Only has done a very good job with starting his build. A lot of extra functionality was build in and it was based on 1.8a1. In fact he replaced a lot of the files in the original build with 1.8a1 files to make it work that way.
We, with four at the moment are finishing the job Eyes-Only started.
Dorian has made a real 1.8a2 build now and we have added some of the functionality Eyes-Only started with, changed some things in chrome, macro's and menues and added some extra functionality, available for FF in xul-code.
Because we all do this in some sparetime, and because we all are no real developers, it takes a lot of time to finish the job. Other thing is that we want to make it easy for the KM-starter, so that most things work immediately, out of the box, without editing macro-files, menu-files etc.... (but you can switch it on/off or remove it when you don't want it).

To be honost I think it will take another two weeks before it really will be ready. But... keep reading the forums and you will know ;-))))

Jan.

Posted by: PJ
Date: August 11, 2004 08:08PM

Cheers Guys,
thanks for the update . all the best to everyone

PJ

Date: August 11, 2004 08:37PM

Jan,

Good to hear the news. I'm looking forward to the new interim release.

Of course, I for one will be sticking with Early Blue, but I'll definitely give the new themes I've been hearing about here a spin for a day or so!

N

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: August 15, 2004 04:34AM

ndebord? Have you installed and tried Al's new "Java Duke"? It is one totally awesome theme! I just don't know what it is that attracts me to that particular theme over all the others that he's done, as you know he's done some gorgeous ones, but there's just something "about it" that I find awesome and feel "at home with" in using it---I guess for the same reasons that you do using "Early Blue". hehe. winking smiley

But if you haven't installed it by all means do!---at least add it to your theme lineup! And Al has also done an update to his "WhistlerXP" theme as well.

Also: A person named "sum1' has submitted an "Internet Explorer" theme that will have you doing a double-take if you're not careful. You'll actually swear, like with Al's "WhistlerXP", that you're running IE. These two are amazing!

So you might want to check them out. But definitely add "Java Duke"!

À la prochaine,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Date: August 15, 2004 05:58PM

Eyes-Only,

Java Duke is interesting, but Early Blue is better! The other one is too close to IE to suit my tastes (as is the original theme for that matter).

WhistlerXP is not bad either.

Still like Blue!

N

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: August 17, 2004 09:58PM

ndebord, I installed the "Early Blue" back a few months ago I think it was just to get a look at what it was that excited you so much about it, and I DO have to agree with you that it is a beautiful theme. Al did the theme great justice when he fixed it all up and brought it over for K-Meleon. I'll have to give that another try again when I have the time to hook up more icons to all of my macros. winking smiley

Take care my fellow theme-enjoying friend!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Date: August 18, 2004 04:51PM

Eyes-Only,

Whenever the interim new release comes out I would think we should ship it with 3 themes!

Original (the xp knockoff we currently have as the default)

Classic (Early blue OF COURSE!!!! After all it is the classic theme, no matter that the Mozilla people were too stooopid to adopt it!)

Modern (Whichever of the new themes that we think of as appropriate as the new default K-MELEON only theme)

<g>

N

Posted by: Al.
Date: August 19, 2004 09:34PM

Wait a minute it's all good and proper to be discussing this issue, however not so long ago Jan was poo-pooing any and all themes mentioned because they didn't meet his satisfaction in regards to his particular Windows setup and colour scheme. Or did I misinterpret that somehow?

Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: August 20, 2004 07:21AM

That's completely right.

In the build we have almost completely finished, there are three skins available; the default skin, a new boxed version of the default skin (not available yet on the KM website, fresh made) and the nautipolis, originally from Eyes-Only I believe.

Most of the skins available for KM are nice on the background they are made for, but when you switch the background off, or you try it with another backgroundcolor, you will see that a lot of the skins are not very well polished.
Other problem was that most skins are not complete enough to cover all the functions we currently have (no, no, without loosing speed!).

But I know how much work it is now, so you do not hear me complain about it ;-))))))

Here is a screenshot of the boxed_classic: http://home.tiscali.nl/hayabusaclubholland/tmp/boxed_01.jpg

I will post it by the skins also later.

Jan.

Date: August 20, 2004 09:57PM

Fast Sjonny,

Nautipolis is not a bad theme. I can always roll my own later if need be. Looking forward to seeing the new "boxed" theme.

N

Posted by: Al.
Date: August 20, 2004 10:33PM

In the build we have almost completely finished, there are three skins available; the default skin, a new boxed version of the default skin (not available yet on the KM website, fresh made) and the nautipolis, originally from Eyes-Only I believe.

Alfred Kayser is the "original" author of that theme, and whilst I'm sure that Eyes-Only gained permission from him to "port" the theme, distributing it with K-Meleon may require further permission.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.