Re: K-Meleon v0.9 Beta 3
Posted by: Kidman
Date: November 25, 2004 12:40PM

Andrew,

compare "Tools -> Save Options" with "Tools -> Bookmark Options" anmd you will see, that every entry, that opens a dialog ("..." at the end) is align more to the right than the "normal" entries. "Tools -> Domain Completion" is also aligned more right.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 25, 2004 04:49PM

Kidman,

Did you test it by removing the ... and see if that made a difference with that particular entry?

Posted by: Kidman
Date: November 25, 2004 04:57PM

Well...no, but I recognised, that those aren't aligned too much to the right. Those three in "Tools -> Bookmark Options" are just aligned too much to the left. I looked at all the entries and all others are aligned to the right.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 25, 2004 06:28PM

The misalignment issue is bmpmenu plugin related and specific to Win2k & XP. If that plugin is enabled then macro menu items are aligned differently than plugin and ID Command menu items for some reason. If the bmpmenu plugin is disabled, the misalignment disappears, but then so do all menu icons including bookmark folder and url icons. Win9x users don't have this problem at all AFAIK.

Posted by: ra
Date: November 25, 2004 08:16PM

jsnj,

Another new bug: Hitting the new window button when layers are disabled leads to loading "about:blank" (if not on the first new window then it is starting from the second new window), although a (different) start page is defined and new windows should open that one (preferences).

That IS a new one. It happens whether macros are enabled or not. Another for the beta bug page!

can you please check whether you still see that one if you switch the theme to Klassic? Strangely I don't get it with Klassic, so there's probably s.th. borked in the the new default theme aka Phoenity?

Date: November 26, 2004 12:15AM

Hmm...I can't reproduce this bug at all anymore. I have a test profile with default settings to test reported bugs and then my own customized profile. I can't reproduce it in either of them with any of the themes. Strange.

Date: November 26, 2004 12:28AM

Yeah, I had this lucky state with one of my setups, too. Then I did another clean install and bang! the problem appeared again. Switching to Klassic is at least a way to "fix" it that I can repro with every beta 3-installation that's around here..

Do you get it with a new/clean beta 3 install?

Posted by: Bana
Date: November 26, 2004 12:35AM

very sometimes when I right-click on a link and select "Open in Background Layer" (which I do alot) the layer I'm viewing seems to vanish completely and it goes to the new layer. [no I'm not misclicking on Open in New Layer smiling smiley ]

Date: November 26, 2004 02:23AM

Do you get it with a new/clean beta 3 install?

Just tried a new clean install of the official beta 3. Can't reproduce anymore. I'm wondering if when I thought I found it before, that I was actually using the New Layer/Window button which is designed to open a blank page regardless unless text is selected, be it URL bar text or page text. Anyway, I can't seem to repro that bug report anymore.

Posted by: Bana
Date: November 26, 2004 04:07AM

yes it was a clean install. It just happened to me again, from merely right-clicking on a link this time (the layer closed).

Date: November 26, 2004 12:38PM

Just tried a new clean install of the official beta 3. Can't reproduce anymore. I'm wondering if when I thought I found it before, that I was actually using the New Layer/Window button which is designed to open a blank page regardless unless text is selected, be it URL bar text or page text. Anyway, I can't seem to repro that bug report anymore.

Mmh, strange. I'm still seeing it. So, just to make sure that we are talking about a similar setup:

Do a clean beta 3 install.

Edit - Preferences

- Display. Make sure that you have a homepage different than about:blank ;-). When K-M starts, display: (o) Homepage. New windows should display: (o) Homepage.

- Plugins: Disable layers (yeah, it might happen with layers *on*, too, but I'm not using them and want to avoid potential interference)

OK.

Restart K-M.

So, I expect every new window to display the set homepage, regardless how the new window will be opened: "[Ctrl]&[N]", "File - New Window" and the New Window *button* should all lead to exactly the same result.

To test that out I'm opening a new window from the current (new) window.

window 1 => click on new window button => window 2
window 2 => click on new window button => window 3
window 3 => click on new window button => window 4
and so on

I don't know when it is starting, but at some point the new window *button* only leads to about:blank-windows (*), although File - New Window and [Ctrl]&[N] are still opening my homepage..

(*) Might be the first new window, but it may also take a few new windows - on my first try it took like five or six new windows, after restarting K-M now it's *always* the first new window.

BTW: What I just noticed on a slow computer: The new window *button* seems to first open about:blank in the new window but right after that my homepage will be loaded (I can't see that on my standard, fast system, because it is, well, too fast), whereas the other two possibilities seem to directly load the homepage. Maybe there's a culprit?

Swichting to Klassic: Fixed.
Switching back to Phoenity: Broken.
Switching to Phoenity(Large): Fixed.

Ah, and looking at toolbars.cfg the new window button call is different in Phoenity.

In "Layer/Window Buttons":

Phoenity:

New{
%ifplugin macros
macros(New)|Open
New Page. Right-click for more options.
%else
%ifplugin layers
layers(Open)|New
New Layer. Right-click for more options.
%else
ID_NEW_BROWSER
New Window
%endif
%endif
layerwindowhot.bmp[0]
layerwindowcold.bmp[0]
}

Phoenity(Large) & Klassic:

New{
%ifplugin macros & layers
macros(New)|Open
New Page. Right-click for more options.
%else
%ifplugin layers
layers(Open)|New
New Layer. Right-click for more options.
%else
ID_NEW_BROWSER
New Window
%endif
%endif
layerwindowhot.bmp[0]
layerwindowcold.bmp[0]
}

*g*

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: November 26, 2004 08:50PM

Great Call Ra!!! smiling smiley I amended my file accordingly. smiling smiley Not that I noticed the "bug" on my system---if fact, I'll be danged if I can call up any of these bugs that you guys have found!---but it's best to have at least that one changed because there at least I know what I'm doing. I think... LOL!

Thanks Ra! Merci mon ami!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Date: November 26, 2004 08:51PM

Actually, Phoenity has it the correct way. The other 2 themes I forgot to change. The problem is within the macro. The button's behavior is to open a new blank page unless text is selected/highlighted in which case it'll open the selected text in a new window regardless of whether it's URL Bar text or page text. This allows it to be a little more multi-functional since it also serves as a duplicate layer/window if you select/highlight the URL bar text. It's also convenient for the URL bar drop-down list to quickly open those entires in a new layer/window.

The reason the 2 unchanged themes did what you want was because the incorrect conditional made it skip the macro completely when layers are disabled and go directly to the ID_NEW_BROWSER command. So even though macros plugin is enabled in your setup, you're not able to use the selected text features of the button with those 2 themes. In the next beta, I'll just adjust the macro to the following which is better. In macros, replace the OpenBlank macro with the following and get rid of the & layers in those 2 themes.

Open{
getpref(BOOL, $layers) == "true" ? plugin(layers, Open) : id(ID_NEW_BROWSER);
setclipboard($old);
}

Date: November 26, 2004 09:04PM

Forgot to tell you to adjust the New macro directly above it:

New{
$old = getclipboard(); setclipboard(); id(ID_EDIT_COPY);
$add = getclipboard(); setclipboard($URL); id(ID_SELECT_URL); id(ID_EDIT_PASTE);
$add == "" ? &Open : &OpenNew;
}

Posted by: Fulvio Perini
Date: November 27, 2004 07:47PM

Too many items in the thread! My comment is that this build is awesome. I was perplexed by the disappearance of the Help menu, which I found under the layers ( which is actually grayed out).
And, I still need to get something like the Mozilla Personal Toolbar to show up.
I have two folders checked, not intentionall, but because I thought that one one would show up. It does not seem to matter what I check. I get an entirely different toolbar for my bookmarks.
Hint: I have organized my bookmarks in a number of folders, in the Personal Toolbar folder. Here I am getting some bookmarks which seem to be equivalent to the Tabs. And, they take an enormous amount of space, unlike in Mozilla.
If this was brought up, please, give a link.

Date: November 27, 2004 09:59PM

I was perplexed by the disappearance of the Help menu, which I found under the layers ( which is actually grayed out).

What Windows version are you using? Also, did you transfer any settings from your previous KM v0.8.2? Or did you install the beta in your existing KM directory?

And, I still need to get something like the Mozilla Personal Toolbar to show up.

Tools-Bookmark Options-Settings

I have two folders checked, not intentionall, but because I thought that one one would show up. It does not seem to matter what I check. I get an entirely different toolbar for my bookmarks.

Folders checked? Checked where? In the "Edit Bookmarks" window, right-click any folder you'd like to use and choose "Set As Toolbar Folder". Only 1 folder can display a checkmark next to it if it's the chosen bookmark toolbar folder. If you see checkmarks next to more than one folder as the toolbar folder, then do a clean reinstall.

Hint: I have organized my bookmarks in a number of folders, in the Personal Toolbar folder. Here I am getting some bookmarks which seem to be equivalent to the Tabs. And, they take an enormous amount of space, unlike in Mozilla.
If this was brought up, please, give a link.

Sorry, but can you explain this a little more? I don't quite understand what you're seeing. Do you have a screenshot?

Date: November 27, 2004 10:45PM

jsnj,

Re: the help menu - I think he's seeing the same issue I reported when I first fired it up - the initial positioning for Layers covers some of the menu items. When you know what is happening, it's no big deal to pull it down where you want it. But if you don't, you might think certain items have gone missing.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 27, 2004 11:15PM

I see that the KM 0.9b3 is now based on 1.7.4, will it be based on 1.7.5 when that comes out in a couple weeks (as that has all the bug fixes that didn't make 1.7 release?

N

Date: November 28, 2004 12:27AM

the initial positioning for Layers covers some of the menu items..

That part I did understand. The layers being "grayed out" is what was weird. I assume his Windows Appearance menu text is set to larger than standard default. Probably better to change layers back to the 3rd line at default since users Windows menu text settings can't be predicted.

I see that the KM 0.9b3 is now based on 1.7.4, will it be based on 1.7.5 when that comes out in a couple weeks

Might be based on 1.8.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 28, 2004 05:25AM

jsnj,

Oh. Well, either 1.7.5 with al the bug fixes, or the 18.xxalpha (or perhaps even the beta??), will be great!

N

Date: November 28, 2004 02:12PM

jsnj,

I know this thread is now quite long, have you noticed my message re. the right-click pop-up menu on frames above?

Date: November 28, 2004 02:14PM

jsnj,

Actually, Phoenity has it the correct way. The other 2 themes I forgot to change.

cool. The broken one - for me anyway - was the correct one. eye rolling smiley

The problem is within the macro. The button's behavior is to open a new blank page unless text is selected/highlighted in which case it'll open the selected text in a new window regardless of whether it's URL Bar text or page text. This allows it to be a little more multi-functional since it also serves as a duplicate layer/window if you select/highlight the URL bar text. It's also convenient for the URL bar drop-down list to quickly open those entires in a new layer/window.

So the "new window" button does much more (or is able to do) than the "close window" button.

The reason the 2 unchanged themes did what you want was because the incorrect conditional made it skip the macro completely when layers are disabled and go directly to the ID_NEW_BROWSER command. So even though macros plugin is enabled in your setup, you're not able to use the selected text features of the button with those 2 themes.

Is it possible to add an option to force this button to just open a plain new window, no matter if or what is selected and so on, so it behaves just like [Ctrl.]&[N]?

BTW: Keyboard accels on buttons are not available, are they? (I'm thinking of things like [Shift]&[Click] for buttons...)

Date: November 28, 2004 05:47PM

I did and I added it to the cfgs for the next release.

Date: November 28, 2004 06:50PM

Thanks!

Date: November 29, 2004 02:52AM

Sorry, I missed your post preceding the last.

So the "new window" button does much more (or is able to do) than the "close window" button.

Hmm...what other behavior would you suggest the close button do? As it is now, it detects whether layers are enabled. If so, it closes the current layer. If layers are disabled, it closes the current window.

Is it possible to add an option to force this button to just open a plain new window, no matter if or what is selected and so on, so it behaves just like [Ctrl.]&[N]?

The correction I posted will behave just as the new layer/window command as long as text isn't selected. If for some reason you like to select text, then open a new window completely unrelated to that text while that text is selected, then just remove the macro reference in toolbars and use the ID_NEW_BROWSER command. But I can't think of a reason why on a regular basis someone would need to select text first and then open a new window for a different reason while the text is selected. For those odd occurences, right-click the new layer/window button & choose New Window or use File-New Window.

BTW: Keyboard accels on buttons are not available, are they? (I'm thinking of things like [Shift]&[Click] for buttons...)

No. But why would that be needed when you can just assign the feature to keyboard accels directly without the need to use the mouse in conjunction?

Posted by: Horcsog
Date: December 01, 2004 12:36PM

Hello,

I tried the new beta stuff, and it's nice, but I have a small problem with it.

There is a macro for OnLoad, which should set the focus to the urlbar when I open a new window or a new tab. It doesn't work, looks like it gets the focus then it goes away. I use W2k.

Regards

Horrr

Date: December 01, 2004 12:58PM

This is a known issue. Jsnj should be able to provide more details on that. Thanks for the feedback!

Date: December 01, 2004 04:21PM

Hmm...what other behavior would you suggest the close button do? As it is now, it detects whether layers are enabled. If so, it closes the current layer. If layers are disabled, it closes the current window.

It's okay, I just didn't expect this as I only thought of these buttons as being equivalents to [Ctrl]&[N] and close window/layer.. :-)

The correction I posted will behave just as the new layer/window command as long as text isn't selected. If for some reason you like to select text, then open a new window completely unrelated to that text while that text is selected, then just remove the macro reference in toolbars and use the ID_NEW_BROWSER command. But I can't think of a reason why on a regular basis someone would need to select text first and then open a new window for a different reason while the text is selected. For those odd occurences, right-click the new layer/window button & choose New Window or use File-New Window.

Okay. I thing I need to try this a few times to make a decision on it, but I can change my cfg files anyway. <g>

No. But why would that be needed when you can just assign the feature to keyboard accels directly without the need to use the mouse in conjunction?

In our example:
If some text is selected, hitting the new window button will do s.th. with the text. If I could assign [Ctrl]&[LClick] to this button I could force K-M to open a new window without doing s.th. with the selected text.

Looking at the screen and having one hand at the mouse, it's quite easy to use the other hand to press e.g. [Ctrl] or [Shift] and click at s.th.. It's a bit more difficult to aim for s.th. like [Ctrl]&[T] or [Ctrl]&[O] without either looking at the keyboard instead of the screen or putting both hands at the keyboard leaving the mouse. But addind another button or changing the cfgs are workarounds for that and it's low priority anyway.

Date: December 01, 2004 04:54PM

I thing I need to try this a few times

I think think think ...

But addind another button

But adding adding adding ...

Date: December 01, 2004 08:49PM

There is a macro for OnLoad, which should set the focus to the urlbar when I open a new window or a new tab. It doesn't work, looks like it gets the focus then it goes away. I use W2k.

This is a known issue. Jsnj should be able to provide more details on that.

Actually, there's not much more to relay. It's been an issue since the early test releases. Hasn't been solved yet. Hopefully, it will be by the time the final is out. In the meantime, you can type into the URL bar of the current window and then click any of the following key combos to open the text in a new layer/window:

Alt+ /
Alt+ '
Ctrl+Alt+N

It's not what you may be used to, but it's just as quick. Alt+D or F6 will get you directly to the URL Bar.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.