Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Choice of mail client
Posted by: Fulvio Perini
Date: January 03, 2005 04:23AM

I used to be able to set my mail client via Edit|Prefs|General|View Source with external command. This can be done, but I cannot see any way to recall the mail client. As for the choice of Outlook Express( or Hotmail), have no comment which is acceptable. But, would it not be nice to have the useless Browse button from the external commands settings moved her, so that there is a choice of mail client. Or just accept the default mail setting. Even my keyboard is set that way.
Of course, I was able to set Mail the way I want it, but this should not be necessary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Choice of mail client
Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 03, 2005 07:53AM

Fulvio,

The 0.9 betas all have the ability to choose your own email or news client.

From the main menu, Tools/Mail and News/ Click On

Configure Mail

Configure News

Just type in the name and location of your favorite programs.

N

Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 03, 2005 08:41AM

But, would it not be nice to have the useless Browse button from the external commands settings moved her, so that there is a choice of mail client. Or just accept the default mail setting. Even my keyboard is set that way.

Yes it would be nice to have a browse button, but that's not possible with macros in its current state. And as far as automatically detecting the default client, the only way I know of through macros is the "Create New" compose macro. That automatically opens your default mail client to create an email. If anyone knows a way to auto-detect the application separate from the mailto: function, they've yet to clue me in :-)

BTW, the features are set for K-M v0.9. Nothing new will be added or changed. The only changes made for the final if any will be fixing any regressions or bugs. New requests or features will have to be included in future releases.

Posted by: Fulvio Perini
Date: January 04, 2005 12:18AM

Now it makes some sense. But, I still don't like to see the path to OE, as if it is default or preferable for KM. This question was posed to me.
I should not complain about this, because 0.9 is pretty darned good.

Date: January 04, 2005 01:44AM

It was chosen simply because KM is a Windows OS browser only and all Windows versions come with OE as default mail client until changed by the user. Without a way to auto-detect the default client(other than ," rel="nofollow" >mailtosmiling smiley, OE seemed the logical choice.

Posted by: logiman
Date: January 04, 2005 02:02AM

You saying that K-Meleon won't open your default, but it will open Outlook Express? I thought it will open your default e-mail client that you set as default, not Outlook Express. I don't like Outlook Express, I removed it from "Add/Remove Components." For K-Meleon development, keep the browser simple as possible.

Date: January 04, 2005 02:36AM

You saying that K-Meleon won't open your default, but it will open Outlook Express? I thought it will open your default e-mail client that you set as default, not Outlook Express.

No. It gives you the choice. It simply presents the OE path at first choice. If you click on the Mail button you'll understand this thread correctly.

Posted by: George
Date: January 04, 2005 08:47AM

I do not like that setup. A better setup would be to ask which email client to when click mail so you select which email client you want to use for the browser session.

Posted by: ra
Date: January 04, 2005 11:37AM

A better setup would be to ask which email client to when click mail so you select which email client you want to use for the browser session.

For the session? Anyway, K-M prompts you to enter your client when you click on the mail button for the first time. Just override the client that's offered as default [*] and you're set.

And you can still change the client later on. Unfortenately K-M won't be able to offer you a drop down list with all clients installed, but I don't think that's needed anyway. ;-)

[*] 90% of all windows users probably have OE installed and a good part of them is using it, so ...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.