Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
capture image from URL
Posted by: Daniel
Date: March 13, 2005 02:03AM

Hi,

IÂ’m looking for the way to programmatically create image from loaded Web Page (that can contain HTML, Flash, PDF, DOC, etc.). Is it possible to do with K-Meleon browser API.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: capture image from URL
Posted by: guenter
Date: March 13, 2005 07:53AM

press "print key" and paste into irfan view. i do so when i want to screen shot applets.

Date: March 13, 2005 03:38PM

Hi,

I need to do it programmatically: load URL and do magic that will create image of this URL. Now IÂ’m looking for this magic. I know how to convert HTML loaded into JEditorPane() into Graphics object and create image using Sun Advanced Imaging API. But JeditorPane HTML support is very limited and I need to be able to capture different formats: PDF, Flash, DOC, etc. All those additional formats will be available if UI (JeditorPane, browser, etc.) component has a plug in for.

I have placed my question in this forum hopping that Open Source Browser will may have option to capture snapshot of the loaded page or If K-Meleon main browser Java UI component has paint(Graphics) method, I will be most likely able to use to produce image.

Thanks,
Daniel

Date: March 13, 2005 03:51PM

Hi again,

Sorry my mistake. It was late evening yesterday when I have published my first question and I have forgotten that itÂ’s not Java browser.
Let me rephrase my question then. Do I have an option to capture programmatically the loaded page? Maybe use print option and print to file?

What does "paste into irfan view" mean?

Thanks,
Daniel

Posted by: Drahken
Date: March 13, 2005 04:56PM

Well, I know that some screenshot programs can automatically scroll in an IE window and take one long snapshot of the entire document, so it seems like there should be some way to do what you want.

What he meant about pasting into irfanview is this: Irfanview is a popular freeware image viewer/converter. It's popular because it's small, fast, freeware, and can handle the vast majority of image and multimedia formats available. What guenter was talking about was to hit the print screen key, open irfanview, paste the captured image into irfanview, then save it as a png or jpg or whatever. Of course, irfanview also has a built in screen capture utility which can capture the cursor in addition to the document, and can be set to automatically svae the image.

Date: March 13, 2005 06:42PM

Thanks for your replay.

Can you please tell me if “Print Preview” is generating an image? Where does this code reside?

Thanks,
Daniel

Date: March 13, 2005 07:13PM

Hmm... don't know about that. Printing might be an option though. You can print pages to a file instead of to paper. Look into "print to file" and postscript.
This site has a program with a free trial
http://www.zan1011.com/
This site has some free software that might help
http://pcbuyersguide.com/software/productivity/Ghostscript.html

Date: March 13, 2005 11:47PM

Thanks, I will take a closer look.

I was also hoping that I can use “Print Preview” option of K-Meleon to store image to disc. I will look for “Print Preview” code to see how it’s doing it.

Thanks,
Daniel

Posted by: Seth
Date: March 28, 2005 01:36PM

Drahken said, " know that some screenshot programs can automatically scroll in an IE window and take one long snapshot of the entire document"

Could you please say which programs do this? I'm actually in a seemingly similar situation as Daniel wherein I need to be able to show thumbnails of any url a user might type into a textbox.

Thanks

Date: March 28, 2005 06:56PM

I don't know of any freeware ones that can do it, but here are some shareware ones:
capture pro
hyper snap
mr captor
capture wiz
super capture
rs capture it
All available from http://snapfiles.com/shareware/gmm/swscreen.html (and probably other places)

Hey Daniel, this one may interest you: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/rscaptureit.html It can make a set of screencaps of webpages from a list of URLs you give it.

Date: March 28, 2005 06:57PM

'Bout damned time this F~ing board accepts that post! >:-(

Posted by: Veni
Date: April 20, 2005 01:51AM

Can you send me the sample in Java where you convert HTML loaded into JEditorPane() into Graphics object and create image...

My email address is vguhesan-at-Y!dotcom...
Please replace -at- with @ and Y!dotcom with yahoo.com

Thanks

Veni

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hi,

I need to do it programmatically: load URL and do magic that will create image of this URL. Now IÂ’m looking for this magic. I know how to convert HTML loaded into JEditorPane() into Graphics object and create image using Sun Advanced Imaging API. But JeditorPane HTML support is very limited and I need to be able to capture different formats: PDF, Flash, DOC, etc. All those additional formats will be available if UI (JeditorPane, browser, etc.) component has a plug in for.

I have placed my question in this forum hopping that Open Source Browser will may have option to capture snapshot of the loaded page or If K-Meleon main browser Java UI component has paint(Graphics) method, I will be most likely able to use to produce image.

Thanks,
Daniel

Posted by: stool
Date: June 10, 2005 08:42AM

Talking about screen capture tools there, i want advise you to use app, which takes video screen capture. In my opinion it's more useful then capture only image. Using this program, you can make your demos, video tutorials, any presentaions...Try it:
http://geovid.com/Screen_VidShot/

Posted by: cchh
Date: June 11, 2005 04:22AM

cchh
wellcom to my home !

capture image from URL
Posted by: Senthil Raja
Date: December 12, 2005 06:30AM

I want to capture my screen after I give a URL

Posted by: CaptnBlack
Date: December 12, 2005 11:56AM

Faststone has a browser that will capture a complete webpage, and it's free.

http://www.faststone.org/FSBrowserDetail.htm

I think it uses IEs engine.

Date: December 12, 2005 01:43PM

hit "Print" button of keyboard and insert into copy paste by irfan view?
But that gives only picture/image -
(button 3rd from right here on my keyboard - it captures screen since dos times)

You could try to get eml extension from Mozill.org working
- but no work has been done for it here. So i do not know whether it will work.

eml is one of the names for an html page that has picture inside itwelf.
is a multi part html, where the parts are inside the same file document.

Posted by: bst82551
Date: December 13, 2005 03:48AM

Or if you REALLY had a lot of time on your hands, you could take lots of screenshots and piece them together.

Brian

Date: December 13, 2005 11:48AM

There are some screencap progs that can auto-scroll IE while taking the cap, and thus get an entire page in a single shot. I haven't been able to find any that work like that for any non-IE browsers though.

Date: December 14, 2005 05:12AM

k-m is able to read the multiparts - but does not know
(makes a mess from eml - but can read the error page from toolkit - which is multi..)

- I wonder whether we could perusade him to read and write that consistently.
well guess there are other more often use thing to concentrate on.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.