Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Mainbar disappears after theme load
Posted by: GuestAMundo
Date: March 22, 2005 04:28PM

Running KM 0.9, I find that the preinstalled Klassic or Phoenity themes work fine. But installing ANY other theme files always causes the "mainbar" -- that is, the bar containing buttons for BACK, FORWARD, STOP, RELOAD, etc -- disappears.

Not only does it vanish from the KM window, it no longer appears as a selectable toolbar under the VIEW menu. Worse, returning to an unchanged Klassic or Phoenity theme does NOT restore the mainbar.

I have tried playing around with various toolbar.cfg files, swapping them in and out of theme folders, to no avail.

Can anyone explain how to retain the mainbar with alt themes, or what I'm doing wrong? Or suggest a complete theme set containing the bar so I can test it?

THX GAM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mainbar disappears after theme load
Posted by: Al.
Date: March 22, 2005 08:44PM

As themes are created by different authors, you should perhaps be a bit more specific as to which one is giving you the trouble. I can assure you that my own themes have been thouroughly tested with K-Meleon v0.9, as well as Eyes-Only's themes (I did the conversions on them in order for them to work). Jsnj has also updated a couple of his own themes for v0.9 too.

Date: March 22, 2005 09:29PM

As noted, this problems occurs with ALL themes I have tried -- specifically, Nautipolis, FauxS Amber, Crystal 2. And FYI I'm running Win98SE. It appears I may be inadvertantly deleting one or another config file by switching themes, but I cannot locate what/how/when. The MainBar graphics appear in the theme files when opened directly, but the bar itself will no longer appear in any theme once multiples are installed and JM is reloaded.

Posted by: GAM
Date: March 22, 2005 09:29PM

That's KM, sorry, not JM.

Solved ?
Date: March 22, 2005 09:38PM

It appears that installation or application of themes to my KM 0.9 folders causes an empty TOOLBARS.CFG file to be created and loaded. Deleting this empty file restores mainbar visibility and function. Go figure. THX GAM

Posted by: jsnj
Date: March 22, 2005 11:01PM

When installing one of the themes you probably unzipped it to a sub-folder of the actual skin folder. When that happens, KM can't find the toolbars.cfg file and so therefore creates a blank one in your profile directory. That toolbars.cfg file in your profile directory supersedes the toolbars.cfg file in any of the skins. So it must be removed for any of the skins to work correctly.

Actually, it might be a good idea to set more strict standards for theme authors so that all new themes can use that one toolbars.cfg in the user's profile directory. Then switching themes won't require having to customize it each time. IIRC, Marc suggested this awhile ago. I can't remember why it was never done. I think it's possible now.

Date: March 23, 2005 01:54AM

GuestAMundo

As noted, this problems occurs with ALL themes I have tried -- specifically, Nautipolis, FauxS Amber, Crystal 2. And FYI I'm running Win98SE. It appears I may be inadvertantly deleting one or another config file by switching themes, but I cannot locate what/how/when. The MainBar graphics appear in the theme files when opened directly, but the bar itself will no longer appear in any theme once multiples are installed and JM is reloaded.

Also might just mention to you that a couple of the themes you mention there, particularly FauxS Amber and Crystal 2 are for v0.8 not v0.9, as Rapido hasn't updated them yet. You still will get some functionality out of them, but there will be buttons missing etc. They probably should be marked with the compatible version number soas to save some confusion.

jsnj

Actually, it might be a good idea to set more strict standards for theme authors so that all new themes can use that one toolbars.cfg in the user's profile directory. Then switching themes won't require having to customize it each time. IIRC, Marc suggested this awhile ago. I can't remember why it was never done. I think it's possible now.

Yep, good idea.

Date: March 23, 2005 05:15AM

Yeah, the only obvious glitch in the theory is the size issue. Some coding would probably have to be done to allow perhaps a pref to choose between small, medium and large dimensioned toolbars.cfg files in the profile directory.

Date: March 23, 2005 07:47AM

And then there are some odd sizes inbetween. For instance I'm currently working on a new theme where the toolbar buttons are 23*23 pixels, which isn't really the norm as far as the toolbar sizes go. Unfortunately for this particular theme the button sizes have to be that dimension.

But anyhow if you want to put down a rough specification for what constitutes small, medium and large then by all means do so. It might also be something worthwhile to add to the Skinning Tutorial for people to use as a guide in future.

Date: March 23, 2005 09:05AM

Well, until it's coded so that more than one toolbars.cfg can be recognized in the profile directory or some other easy size-changing method, there's no real need to lay down size rules yet. But it's something to keep in mind for the (hopefully) next version of KM. The standard sizes I think are 16,24 and 32.

Date: March 24, 2005 06:19AM

For instance I'm currently working on a new theme where the toolbar buttons are...

The new theme for those interested is now complete, and available for immediate download from the Themes section of course. This time round I've pulled off a tribute to the dusty ol' web browser NCSA Mosaic, pretty much along the same lines as the Warped theme (it being a tribute as well).

As the theme is complete as it gets, I think I'll call it Mosaik v1.0. ;-)

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=KMeleonThemesWiki

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.