Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Avoiding firewall meassages
Posted by: Henrik
Date: March 24, 2005 10:32AM

Hi,

Sorry if this topic has been covered before.

Are there some changes I could make in the config files to stop K-meleon from trying to access the net at start-up? (In fact it acually just seems to be trying to access a localhost address 127.0.0.1: port 1490)

Obviously, you would normally want to grant a browser internet access through the firewall anyway, but we're using it for a rather different purpose. We run it directly from a CD to power the CD content manager for TheOpenCD, so we don't actually need web access, and would be better off without the firewall warnings.

Thanks for reading and thanks for making such a highly configurable browser!

- Henrik
http://www.theopencd.org/
henrik AT theopencd.org

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Avoiding firewall meassages
Posted by: guenter
Date: March 24, 2005 11:21AM

kmeleon.general.offline is a user pref, can be set to false if You can store the value.

Date: March 24, 2005 08:01PM

Thank you. I do at least have some saved default prefs.

Where and how should I set this flag?

I tried setting pref("kmeleon.general.offline", true); in
gprefs\security-prefs.js

and I tried setting
user_pref("kmeleon.general.offline", true); in
defaults\profile\Prefs.js

but I still get a firewall warning. Any ideas?

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 25, 2005 06:01PM

Yes and no. (Hope my English is good enough -
i will try to tell all and redundant
- even things that i assume that You will know already)

e. g. if You do insert: user_pref("kmeleon.general.offline", true); into
Profiles/default ..... user.js - when You want to do it always with that Profile.

user.js is where You store Your personal prefernces - it over-rules all the files that configure any Mozilla even if other config dats say something differnt.

user.js is taken with You when You migrate from an old k-m to a newer one or to another Mozilla. If You have a well configured ff or other mozilla user.js You can use it for k-m also.

there are two user.js inside each k-m
(one is created by the man that made Your k-m)
(the other is for end-user use)

You can make changes inside Profiles.... (end user)
(best after a backup when You are not sure & test).

default... were You tried! (is for people that make new k-m)
is a setup folder; (that is from where new Profiles and installs are created)
never work there unless You want to make a new k-m!
(You can destroy or damage the capability to make new Profiles).

before anything is placed into defaults...
it is thoroughly tested in Profiles!

If You place anything in user.js there in defaults/profile... all new installs of k-m & newly generated profiles have the trait You placed there.

So what You do: test in Profiles/default......
When You are sure that it works You place it in
defaults/profile...
same dat names... for all new k-m or Profiles that come from there.

after You have done that grafting to defaults... You delete
(with all proper backing up before) currently used Profiles and try whether new install or k-m works. that it creates a new k-m that has what You want.

A k-m without Profiles/... is instalalable and able to create Profiles
any place You put it - for further info look into threads like:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=24363&t=24363
or the older thread with that topic.

also check topics about k-m on cd - there are at least three.

You will have known most - but You prepare a new install - i had to make sure.

Date: March 29, 2005 05:03PM

Thanks for the detailed info. Unfortunately it still doesn't work :-(

Just to be clear: k-m is not installed on my HD, nor on the end-user's HD. It simply runs directly from the CD. So there is no c:\Programs\k-m\Profiles directory.

There is only a [CD-drive]:\bin\directory where I've put the k-m stuff. I've never had a Profiles directory in there, only defaults\profile It's created from a fresh install, without running it first. No new data gets written to the user profile when you run it later (it's all on a CD).

I tried copying over a Profiles dir from another install and making changes there but that did not work either.

I'm confused :-?

Thanks for the k-m Move links. It seems like that version creates a profile on the stick though (which gets updated, so it's not quite what I want.) I didn't find the exact CD threads you mentioned. Do other people actually have k-m running from a CD without creating profiles? (and if so, probably in a better way than I'm doing it) Perhaps I should just let it make a profile and then modify that. I guess profile paths are completely relative now right?

I've put up a copy of my current set-up here in case anyone would like to have a look. http://www.theopencd.net/k-m-ocd/

Btw: This technology is currently being used to power TheOpenCD and the Ubuntu Live CD, both of which has a fairly wide distribution. Later this year we plan to put out an extended edition, where we will feature k-m more properly. Any input from the k-m community is welcome smiling smiley

http://www.theopencd.org/

Posted by: kko
Date: March 29, 2005 10:21PM

Hi Henrik and guenter!

A look into my personal firewall's status window tells me, that k-meleon.exe (as well as mozilla.exe b.t.w) is establishing a tcp-loopback on program launch. The used ports can vary from launch to launch. There is an outgoing tcp connection and an incoming tcp connection, both from localhost to localhost. "Real" outgoing connections aren't established until You call a website.

I assume, that it's impossible to change this behaviour by setting preferences or manipulating config files :-(

Date: March 30, 2005 01:17PM

Hi kko,

Yes, that's what I've concluded too now after trying to set the offline flag on a fresh install.

Looks like we need a re-compiled version smiling smiley

- Henrik

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.