Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Come on! Why isn't there a security update for K-Meleon?
Posted by: RJARRRPCGP
Date: May 02, 2005 05:13PM

There appears to only be security updates for Firefox and the Mozilla Suite.

I believe Mozilla 1.7.5 has some exploits found and thus I want to see an update to K-Meleon!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Come on! Why isn't there a security update for K-Meleon?
Posted by: everling
Date: May 03, 2005 03:47AM

There are some unofficial updates. You can find them in the General Forum.

Posted by: George
Date: May 10, 2005 01:56AM

That is not the point the official build of Kmeleon's Browser Engines should be update to corrected for bugs and security flaws found in Gecko Engine. Unofficial Updates should not be only to fix security flaws and bugs in the short term. The browser engine for Kmeleon be updated when flaws are found in the version of Gecko that a browser is using.

Posted by: Al.
Date: May 10, 2005 02:21AM

That is not the point the official build of Kmeleon's Browser Engines should be update to corrected for bugs and security flaws found in Gecko Engine. Unofficial Updates should not be only to fix security flaws and bugs in the short term. The browser engine for Kmeleon be updated when flaws are found in the version of Gecko that a browser is using.

Well when we have some developers on board and willing to do an update then one will be forthcoming, until then the unoffical versions will have to do you.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 10, 2005 04:18PM

George,

K-Meleon is like the old homebrew computers. Catch as catch can. It is a small production with one major developer and a lot of work put in by volunteers who tweak the engine. Long intervals between official releases has been the norm for this beta browser. If or when K-Meleon gets more support, bug fixes can be incorporated on an official basis with incremental releases. In the meantime, the unofficial "tweaked" versions have dealt with all the Secunia advisories very quickly. Indeed, faster even than FireFox in some instances.

Of course you need to read the Forum messages to find out what to do and that can be confusing. There have been attempts made to make that process easier and I suspect at some point that efffort may be codified into a process.

In the meantime, if this is not enough for you, The Mozilla Foundation, which has a paid staff puts out another Gecko browser called FireFox and the volunteer organization temporarily referred to as "Seamonkey" also has a very nice kitchen sink Suite formerly known as the Mozilla Suite.

As for myself, I have used the Forum messages here to download and run Guenter's 1.7.7xx GRE with K-Meleon 0.9 and my favorite theme. It requires a bit of effort to keep up with instructions, but it has been my experience that whenever I falter at trying to figure out how to update properly, that a call for help has always been answered very quickly and I have been able to proceed with patching KM as needed to incorporate bugfixes and improvements.

Just my two cents worth.

N

Posted by: George
Date: May 12, 2005 02:12AM

My point is a good because it sometimes like forever for the Kmeleon to make upgrade becuase it took over a year for the Kmeleon 0.7x to be upgraded to 0.8. And Unofficial Upgrades should not be the only available upgrades. And I use the unofficial upgrades. My when bugs are found the Kmeleon should try to fix them or at least make an installer to incorporate the latest Gecko Engine into 0.9. Instead of waiting for what seems like forever to make an upgrade. And could look at the offical builds to add their fixes to Kmeleon.

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 12, 2005 05:19AM

the thing is that there were no known security bugs in the k-m part of the browser.

There were problems in the GRE - which can be fixed by using a new fixed GRE.
So it was not needed to make a general official update.

But You are right - it would have been nice if an official GRE update had been made
- making an official update is extra atvertisement ; o )

Official devs invested a lot of time - after an update there are many private things that have not been done - with so few people we have to be satified with what was done -
and we have to do things we can do ourselves. Which we IMHO have tried.

Date: May 12, 2005 06:01AM

That's right George. If this were a "release by numbers" project then you would have your updates sooner. In reality it is mainly just a project made up of helpful volunteers, people who are willing to do what they can to keep things going. What we lack at the moment is somebody with enough advanced knowledge to roll out a new "official" release. That's why what you want and what you end up getting are two different things.

Date: May 12, 2005 10:39AM

@Al, Though i agree - IMHO You may want to ask Ulf if You or another official dev can not repack 0.9 with new GRE - it is after all a mfcemebed application and
that can be considered updated when the GRE part is re-newed.

Forum possibly does not lack the resources to roll the kind of refurbishing job that is possibly needed at the moment.

p. s. - we specifically lack more ppl that can code c+. after each issue all ppl engaged in the project have run out off private time that can be used/spent.
so i think it is normal for a small volunteer project to be maintaining stutus quo most of the time.

p.p.s but status quo may include exchanging the GRE that is pasted out
officially?

about version number: Since our browser is modular - Forum can gradually renew other parts too: e. g. the menus and macros are always evolving slowly

- other projects would make a release number out of what ppl here consider a tweak or a renewed theme.

Date: May 13, 2005 12:37AM

@Al, Though i agree - IMHO You may want to ask Ulf if You or another official dev can not repack 0.9 with new GRE - it is after all a mfcemebed application and
that can be considered updated when the GRE part is re-newed.

I suppose I could try, however after what happened with the 0.9 beta testing phase dragging on longer than expected then he may be reluctant.

Looking at the situation though it was evident at the time that MoFo were starting to focus in on the security aspect of things and releases were/are becoming more frequent. Because of that maybe what should have been proposed was a series of K-Meleon Service Pack releases to cover the security upgrades: no modification to the K-Meleon code other than the necessary adjustments needed for the new Gecko version, so you end up with 0.9 SP1, or alternatively v0.9.1.

If there is enough interest in that sort of concept I'd like to see some more people on the devs mailing list backing up the proposal as I'm not going to go it alone. The last time I did that although Andrew was pushing for a release here on these forums he didn't even back me up when I posted the idea for a new release on the devs mailing list, and thusly Ulf shot the idea down in flames. It was only after a protracted period realising that the other devs who are supposed to be involved on the project weren't coming around that he did decide to push out a v0.9 release, as you already know.

Anyhow I'd like to know if there is enough momentum for this idea...

Date: May 13, 2005 07:32PM

i consider Your reasons sound
but - sorry 4 not supporting You - i left list 4 reasons (IMHO) .

then we/i offer GRE update privately?
Why bother with persuading - it is not like it was?
(if i am updated: 3 ppl learned already to build ready k-m sources to new mozilla).

I would ask all to support You - but i do not know any in list.
(browser without security update = embarassment = 4 sure)

Date: May 13, 2005 10:13PM

then we/i offer GRE update privately?
Why bother with persuading - it is not like it was?
(if i am updated: 3 ppl learned already to build ready k-m sources to new mozilla).

Well I'm inclined to not go the route of the devs list either knowing what I know about Ulf's reluctance, however if enough people were interested...

But anyway's with the instructions we now have it should be easy for an update to a new GRE without changing anything within the regular K-Meleon.

Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: May 14, 2005 04:09AM

Al,
I think we need to have our core dev. active towards 1.0 release. If Ulf can't go back at this moment, we probably need to find some other developer to make KM go on. And I recommend Dorian to be invited to do so if he 's willing to.

Hao

Date: May 14, 2005 02:47PM

With what we (ppl in Forum) have learned . live has become easier for Ulf too
- he does not have to do a mere update anymore -
& could concentrate on future 1.0?

maybe ask both

also:
Did Dorian explain how xpt are joined - can You explain to me how it is done?
can it be easily done with xpt_link.exe? or does it need dev tools?

Did You have a look at xulruner? could that be used to make a small k-m exe that runs the big dll?

Date: May 15, 2005 09:19AM

Al,
I think we need to have our core dev. active towards 1.0 release. If Ulf can't go back at this moment, we probably need to find some other developer to make KM go on. And I recommend Dorian to be invited to do so if he 's willing to.

Sure if Dorian's willing to become a "chief" developer then by all means have a chat to him to see if he's willing. If he is then we can have a look towards a 1.0 release, bearing in mind that there is a list of things to-do for v1.0.

Now maybe there are some things which might not be do-able, however we can discuss this further once we know that Dorian wants the job.

The To-Do list is here:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=ToDo

If he finds that the bulk of it is a little beyond his scope, maybe instead we could just look at an incremental release.

Anyhow let me know how you go.

Date: May 15, 2005 08:31PM

Al,
I will try to contact him and ask this. BTW, since we have seen an obvious performance improvement using static build, I think we should make future release based on static build then.

Hao

Date: May 16, 2005 06:20AM

Oh yeah definately go with the static build for sure.

Date: May 18, 2005 01:11AM

Al,
I have asked Dorian to be the cheif developer. He hasn't decided right now and thought he need to think about it. So I will get back to you as soon as he decided. And I need your contact info also.

Hao

Date: May 18, 2005 01:12AM

Guenter,
For xpt joined, Dorian told me just use xpt_link.exe is enough. You can type xpt_link in the command window to see how to use it.

Hao

Date: May 18, 2005 04:49AM

Al,
I have asked Dorian to be the cheif developer. He hasn't decided right now and thought he need to think about it. So I will get back to you as soon as he decided. And I need your contact info also.

Hao

My email address is in the header info of any of the toolbars.cfg files of my themes, or the readme.txt file.

Date: May 18, 2005 11:11AM

@Hao,

Answer came to late. : o (

k-meleon.xpt already exists joined already. : o ))
my problem was that i had fault and the screen went away due to my stupid systems silly settings. (i always try that sort of thing on my xp home becuase that is my fastest machine. regards

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: May 22, 2005 06:21PM

Just out of curiosity: Since the members of the forum here already know how to update the GRE to 1.7.8 on their own---and this probably opens a can of worms here---isn't there any reason WHY something like Guenter's last update, which remains closest to the aims of the 0.9 Project except for the addition of a few helpful and needed tools only---if it had the two official Phoenity themes replaced---be put up as an updated GRE 1.7.8 version download on the main download page here?

(Phew! Long sentence! My English teacher would have had a field day with that one!)

I mean, stop to consider: I've used Guenter's updated 0.9 versions. The only difference that I've been able to find so far are the three tools which he's added (file browser, notepad, Alain's file launcher) and that's it except for the updated GRE and the updated "Help" on the menubar. So I wouldn't see why such a thing couldn't be offered as an updated 0.9 GRE 1.7.8, something like that.

I mean---if the "Official Dev" isn't going to show interest, and we need engine updating with the rest of the Gecko World then perhaps where members have learnt to do these things then perhaps it's time for... "New Devs"? (No disrespect intended towards Ulf at all as he's the one, along with many others, who made us what we are today!)

Thanks for allowing me my 2½¢ worth. I wished I visited more than "once in a blue moon" as I'd love to see if there's input to this post...

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"

Date: May 24, 2005 05:46AM

Mon cher Vieux,
Al made a collection of new and old builts and themed exes - it = in k-m wiki.
Most people here are able now to update the GRE. At least many are.
I am working on a little page to have my small contribution and update available
outside Rapid share.

Devs: Sorry to say after a building run there is much private work to do (left over 2 do).
I do not think anyone here lacks interest. but we lack time some times.
Official or just unofficial - it is just the same.

i am not sure whether You got mail or info of update:
http://rapidshare.de/files/1835765/k-m0.9.1.78.fr1b.exe.html
patois = francais - he he. alains and Your work used with updated files.
be leniant at the many errors.

at the moment i try to update 1.8. chrome - alas - they changed so much oulay
that i have the same problem as You last year.

hope You are fine & regards 2 Maine

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: May 25, 2005 03:46PM

Thanks Guenter,

Just downloaded it now but I don't know when I'll install it. The second update you made, where you made the mimeTypes editor into français, has worked fine for me in every way possible. So since I'm not into all of this beta-testing anymore, or even easily changing over my versions for a more updated one (I have The Suite updated but still prefer using my 1.7.3!), this is why I can't promise when I'll install it.

So if you're looking for help in translation on the language files, and I don't know if you were or not? Perhaps Alain can help? It shouldn't take but a minute of his time. Took me about the same. But between family's demands, my watching Isaac---same old story...

Hope all is well in Germany. Wished I could say the same for Maine.

Thanks for the download!

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"

Date: May 27, 2005 06:23AM

@ eyes -

lousy wheather in Maine - i assume.
- we had a few days with 5 celsius ... next day 28 // almost like Maine ... ; o )

translations can be taken for fr-fr.jar. U do not have to help. i am lucky that mr. kaiser (1 mozilla main translator..) is from Austria & they speak mainly German in Austria

- new French Mozilla = not very accurate - even me can see that...

i made French update - 4 U and because alain´s time is limited -

and updating was already dead routine to me.

now - i will not update French issues any further since we k-m folks have update packages now. & i hope little soleil and You and all family are fine.

Posted by: AnotherGuest
Date: September 12, 2005 07:39PM

Nice browser, but you should realize that K-M 0.9 stopped passing the Secunia tests several alerts ago. That simply disqualifies K-M for me as a browser. I'm very cautious about computing. I'm willing to use beta software, but not unofficial releases.

It all depends on your goals. I think if you ever want to see K-M in general, use you will have to release timely security updates.

Posted by: Fred
Date: September 13, 2005 09:49AM

You must know, that we have faster security updates than the other Gecko
browsers, because we always use very new files from the nightlies of Mozilla,
and they fix bugs long before a new official Firefox or Seamonkey are released,
because it is not possible to do that every week. K-Meleon uses the same components
as Seamonkey, and is developped further constantly. Nobody would bother to
search for bugs in the few k-meleon - only files, because few people use this
browser, while the Gecko parts are always brand new. May be, we bring out
an official K-Meleon soon, but is is not possible to do that very often, because
only a handful of people work on the project, not hundreds or thousands.
These many people all over the world are building the Gecko Running Engine GRE,
that we use for our browser.

Regards
Fred

Posted by: AnotherGuest.
Date: September 13, 2005 03:09PM

I would be very happy to find a security update for K-M, but when I look at the K-M home page, I still find the same version 0.9. If I look around the Web site, and I don't see any security update anywhere. Perhaps I missed it.

From time to time someone posts a note that he has compiled a version based on some branch or other, plus maybe some enhancements. Somehow it doen's seem the same as an official update. Do you see what's missing?

Posted by: ndebord
Date: September 14, 2005 01:24AM

AnotherGuest,

Read this thread:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=25998&t=25998

Then download the official 0.9 version based on the original 1.7.5 GRE.

After reading the thread, as again here if you have a problem with picking which update to the official version will get you all the way through to a 1.7.11 GRE. (IF you want beta stuff, based on the 1.8 or 1.9 GRE, that is another story. I personally stick with the earlier version which, IMO, is stable and secure and not beta-based.

N

Posted by: AnotherGuest.
Date: September 14, 2005 03:50AM

Thanks. That put it into context. I guess it's not simply a matter of bolting the front end onto the engine, since they keep tinkering to much with the engine.

I am actually using the official 0.9 version at the moment. I have just used it to download Fred's latest, which isn't on the list yet.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.