Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
building k-meleon 2
Posted by: ra
Date: May 11, 2005 09:50PM

(continued from this thread in the general forum)

Hao,

I 'm now using VC++ 6 compiling KM.

and Mozilla, too?

However, I have Dorian's W-B source ,which he changed from 0.8.2 source to work with VC7. I believe we can use some of his ideas to change 0.9 source to let it work with VC7. If you need his source, don't hesitate to ask me. I will share it with everyone.

Thanks for your offer, I already have got it. :-)

But I'm interested in your latest sources. Are they available somewhere?

everling,

Can I see a copy of your .mozconfig then? I would like to see it, because I don't understand why my compile requires ActiveX.

I could post a copy, but that wouldn't help you much as I'm changing it for about every compile I do. Dorian's is a good start anyway.
Didn't get the part about ActiveX? With the free Toolkit you can't compile that part of the Mozilla source. But that doesn't matter, you won't need it anyway.

I'm afraid I don't understand this.

I meant sticking to the forum instead of switching to e-mail.

After disabling the --enable-optimize and --enable-crypto, I did a Mozilla compile that did complete, however Mozilla fails to start. Is this a problem?

I'm curious, why are you disabling --enable-crypto? Without that switch you won't be able to open secure sites afterwards.

For compiling K-M it doesn't matter if your copy of Mozilla won't start. If you plan to use the compiled part together with your own build, instead of putting your new K-M-files into e.g. an official 0.9 release folder, it does matter...

I'm going to try to see if this will also compile without specifying the MFC and ATL path in the %INCLUDE%.

That's possible, worked here some months ago. But are there any benefits apart from saving some space/folders?

Current build environment paths:

Were/are these working paths? I'll have to check mine, but I'm including some where IIRC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: building k-meleon 2
Posted by: everling
Date: May 12, 2005 04:31AM

Okay, continuing here. :-)

Didn't get the part about ActiveX? With the free Toolkit you can't compile that part of the Mozilla source.
I know that the Toolkit doesn't have those stuff. And the whereswaldo page (is there a better name for that?) mentioned about disabling ActiveX with the "--disable-activex" and "--disable-activex-scripting" options.

However my earlier attempts to compile using that, fails with a missing atlthunk.lib. I believe it is an ActiveX component since it is only referenced from the atlbase.h. And then when I checked the environment setup batch file from whereswaldo, you can find "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\include\Win64\atl" in the include path (which I don't have in my Platform SDK).

Talk about inconsistencies... -.-;

This leads me to think that there's something in the code base that called for ActiveX without checking for the .mozconfig parameters.

I meant sticking to the forum instead of switching to e-mail.
Oh, your sentence back then was weird to me because of the previous context. I get it now. ^^;

I'm curious, why are you disabling --enable-crypto? Without that switch you won't be able to open secure sites afterwards.
I didn't have "ml", so it won't build then. I'll try MASM to see if it can build them.

For compiling K-M it doesn't matter if your copy of Mozilla won't start.
Okay. I was just concerned that Mozilla's failure to load may indicate that there's a failure in the compile.

But are there any benefits apart from saving some space/folders?
Not that I know of. But it'll be nice to be able to build with a minimum environment. What's the point of installing everything in sight if you just need the Toolkit and a careful module selection in the Platform SDK? It could be helpful for some people to know what is the minimum requirements.

Like in my case, I had to pollute my Win2K with .NET to get to where I am now. Ugh... Well, now I can really try out that nLite thingie. ^_^

Were/are these working paths?
Huh? It was posted in my previous post. That was some of the environment settings I used to compile Mozilla, using the .mozconfig provided by Dorian (thanks to Hao who posted it in the previous thread).

Date: May 12, 2005 04:39AM

Were/are these working paths?
>_< I get this now too. My brain doesn't seem to be working well...

Yes, they are the working paths I used for the build. I had it overwrite the default paths.

Here's my current mozilla build environment batch file.

========================================================================

set HOME=D:\mozilla

rem Set shell environment variables for the Microsoft Platform SDK
Set MSSdk=%HOME%\Platform SDK
Set Bkoffice=%MSSdk%\
Set Basemake=%MSSdk%\Include\BKOffice.Mak
Set INETSDK=%MSSdk%
Set MSSdk=%MSSdk%
Set Mstools=%MSSdk%
Set NODEBUG=1
Set DEBUGMSG=RETAIL
Set MSVCVer=7.0
Set LIB=%MSSdk%\Lib
Set INCLUDE=%MSSdk%\Include
Set PATH=%MSSdk%\Bin;%MSSdk%\Bin\Win64
Set CPU=i386
Set TARGETOS=WINNT
Set APPVER=5.0

rem Set shell environment variables for the Microsoft VC++ Toolkit 2003
Set PATH=%HOME%\VC++ Toolkit 2003\bin;%PATH%
Set INCLUDE=%HOME%\VC++ Toolkit 2003\include;%INCLUDE%
Set LIB=%HOME%\VC++ Toolkit 2003\lib;%LIB%

SET MOZ_TOOLS=%HOME%\moztools
SET GLIB_PREFIX=%HOME%\vc71
SET LIBIDL_PREFIX=%HOME%\vc71
SET path=%path%;%GLIB_PREFIX%\bin;%LIBIDL_PREFIX%\bin;%MOZ_TOOLS%\bin;C:
\Utilities\cygwin\bin

rem Some values from the K-Meleon documentation
set MOZ_BITS=32
set OS_TARGET=WINNT
set WINOS=%OS_TARGET%
set MOZ_NO_ACTIVEX_SUPPORT=1

========================================================================

Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: May 12, 2005 11:27AM

Al,
My K-Meleon source is almost the same as the official one. I changed a little in gestures.cpp to incorporate the right button drag and drop code. For the 1.8b1 Gecko, I changed the Mfcembed.cpp to make the compilation work. Nothing new. Unfortunatelly, I 've already lost my change of gestures.cpp cause one harddrive of mine broken. I will redo the source again later.

Hao

Posted by: Al.
Date: May 13, 2005 01:49AM

Al,
My K-Meleon source is almost the same as the official one. I changed a little in gestures.cpp to incorporate the right button drag and drop code. For the 1.8b1 Gecko, I changed the Mfcembed.cpp to make the compilation work. Nothing new. Unfortunatelly, I 've already lost my change of gestures.cpp cause one harddrive of mine broken. I will redo the source again later.

Hao

I might be mistaken however shouldn't this have been posted to this thread...?

Come on! Why isn't there a security update for K-Meleon?

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=2&i=4134&t=4134

Date: May 13, 2005 02:01PM

I've managed to compile without the .NET SDK, yay! But you will need to fake a msvcrt.lib if you don't already have a copy.

Now I have another problem, yay!

It seems that my attempts to get the updated source from the CVS gets me the version 1.8b2, as evident from this string -DMOZ_APP_VERSION="1.8b2" at the end of the compile output. So I think I could be biting off more than I can chew at the moment, especially if I were to use KM 0.9 code base to compile KM. Can anybody teach me on how to get the 1.7.8 source? ^_^;

Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: May 13, 2005 05:56PM

To get the 1.7.8 source is to go to ftp.mozilla.org. you will find in the release folder.

Hao

Date: May 13, 2005 06:40PM
Date: May 18, 2005 02:37PM

It's been awhile. ^^;

I learned that VC++ can create a makefile that command line users can use.

If you run ( Project > Export Makefile...) in VC++ it will create .mak files which you can run on the cmd line with "nmake /f your_makefile".
From http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=2&i=1650&t=1650

That aside, there's a bigger pain.... Oh the pain....

From http://blog.voidnish.com/index.php?p=7
You have the entire CRT/STL and .NET BCL to fool around with though you wonÂ’t have MFC and ATL, but I doubt that youÂ’ll miss MFC/ATL when you have the 1000s of BCL classes to use as an alternative.

Can anybody else confirm this? And where else can I get the MFC, except copying them from a proper install?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.