Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
jar inclusion problem
Posted by: alain aupeix chez wanadoo fr
Date: December 22, 2005 12:27PM

I'm trying to test Habari Xenu RSS reader, which has been created from Aggreg8.

I have just create the entry menu and the macro. Here is the macro:

HX{
$xul="chrome://habarixenu/content/habarixenu.xul"; &XUL;
}

Here is what I added in installedchrome.txt:

content,install,url,jar:resource:/chrome/habarixenu.jar!/content/
locale,install,url,jar:resource:/chrome/habarixenu.jar!/locale/fr-FR/
skin,install,url,jar:resource:/chrome/habarixenu.jar!/skin/

I've removed chrome.rdf in profile\chrome folder, in chrome folder and deleted overlayinfo folder

When i launch Habari Xenu, I have the message:

File /content/habarixenu.xul not found ....

If I rename aggreg8.jar, I have this error:

File resource:///chrome/aggreg8.jar!/content/aggreg8.xul not found ....

The Jar structure seems to be the same as aggreg8 (for the entry point)

Where have I missed something ??

The xpi file can be loaded here

Thanks

A+

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: jar inclusion problem
Posted by: kko
Date: December 22, 2005 03:59PM

What you have missed, Alain, is that Habarixenu must be installed into the profile's chrome directory, NOT into K-Meleon's chrome directory (like Aggeg8).

What you could try: Install Habarixenu into Firefox or Mozilla and whatch what is written into your profile's chrome\chrome.rdf. Then take over these changes to your K-Meleon profile and hope the best...

Date: December 22, 2005 04:12PM

@kko,

Thank's for this info.

Have you tried my way to have automaticly individual rssfeeds.rdf ?

A+

Date: December 22, 2005 06:16PM

The info was good, but I'm not able to do that.

I haven't found what to put in $xul ...

A+

Date: December 22, 2005 07:27PM

Have you tried my way to have automaticly individual rssfeeds.rdf ?

LOL. Your are joking! The aggreg8 version you are using is always storing your subscribed feeds in K-Meleon's chrome directory (chrome\aggreg8\content\rssfeeds.rdf). You cannot change this behaviour by just copying rssfeeds.rdf to your profile directory. Make the trial! Open aggreg8, create a new feed or category, close aggreg8 and now look in which of your rssfeeds.rdf the new feed or category is stored.

I haven't found what to put in $xul ...

I guess you misunderstood me. Don't mind. It's easier to do than to explain it. I will have a look on it some time...

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 23, 2005 06:38AM

thx for tip - that some XUL things may work on different place was new to me!
a bientot You 2

Date: December 23, 2005 09:19AM

@kko

>LOL. Your are joking! The aggreg8 version you are using is always storing your >subscribed feeds in K-Meleon's chrome directory >(chrome\aggreg8\content\rssfeeds.rdf). You cannot change this behaviour by just >copying rssfeeds.rdf to your profile directory. Make the trial! Open aggreg8, create a >new feed or category, close aggreg8 and now look in which of your rssfeeds.rdf the >new feed or category is stored.

No, it's not a joke ...

Yes the version is always the all-profiles one. But In onStartup and OnQuit, I copy the rssfeeds.rdf in one sens and in the other, and it works fine ...

You must use utils kplugins (0.0.4) , that's all ..., and there's now no need to put the end in chrome.rdf ...

A+

Date: December 23, 2005 09:26AM

there's now no need to put the hands (end) in chrome.rdf ...

smiling smiley

Date: December 23, 2005 10:32AM

Ah. I apologize, Alain. I've overseen that. There was no documentation or explanation on that (or I have overseen it, too).

However, your way of doing things won't work in a multi-user setup. It will only work, as long as you (your windows account) have write permission to the K-Meleon program directory. It won't work when you are logged on as a non-privileged user. And of course, you will loose your changes, when K-Meleon crashes, although your changes were already saved to disk. My rdf-hack will work under these circumstances...

Date: December 23, 2005 05:19PM

@kko,

However, your way of doing things won't work in a multi-user setup. It will only work, as long as you (your windows account) have write permission to the K-Meleon program directory. It won't work when you are logged on as a non-privileged user. And of course, you will loose your changes, when K-Meleon crashes, although your changes were already saved to disk. My rdf-hack will work under these circumstances...

kko, I think you are jocking now.
If, as you said, a non-privileged user can't write to k-meleon folder (chrome and profile folder), he also can't use K-Meleon and uses probably IE.

My solution writes in k-meleon\chrome\aggreg8\content and in k-meleon\profiles\profilename\*.slt\

The only difference with your solution is you don't write in chrome...

Do you really think there's a difference ?

A+

Date: December 23, 2005 07:18PM

Multi-user setup:

- Only administrators (privileged users) have write permission for the K-Meleon directory.
- User profiles are stored in user's %AppData% directory.

--> Non-privileged users can't write to K-Meleon directory (and thus to \chrome\aggreg8\content\rssfeeds.rdf) but of course all users can write to their profile directory.

Got it now, Alain?

Date: December 23, 2005 07:42PM

@kko,

Well, I've already understand this, but :

1) there's no kmeleon build which works like that (and I agree it would be better)

2) in this case, aggreg8 no more works, because it naturally saves under chrome.

So, before we have this config (I don't think Dorian or Hao builds work like that), my solution works great, and, in the case the privileges users are limited, aggreg8 can't work without rdf modifications which are, in my thought, a little hard to do by basic users .

A+

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.