Which Mozilla source/branch for K-M?
Posted by: ra
Date: January 31, 2006 10:39PM

Hi!

With development going on, I thought I could put my old K-M build environment to some use again. But, like expected, not everything works out of the box, there's way to much dust around here. ;-) So, I have two questions:

1.) Which branch/source/whatever do I need to get from Mozilla.org's CVS to build the most recent K-M (CVS) afterwards?

2.) And which compile option (suite, browser, ...) has to be used when building the Mozilla application?

I took MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH, compiled the =suite and got SeaMonkey, but K-M wants nsIWalletService.h which is missing (hidden question 3. <g>).

Thanks for your help!

Re: Which Mozilla source/branch for K-M?
Date: February 01, 2006 12:26AM

Next try with MOZILLA_1_8_RELEASE, still gives me SeaMonkey (is there no way to build the old Mozilla suite?), but this time I updated my .mozconfig by removing the stupid extensions list, et voila nsIWalletService.h!

Now on to s.th. new:

MfcEmbed.cpp(945)_:_error_C2501:_'THREADSAFE_ISUPPORTS_NOT_AVAILABLE_IN_STANDALONE_GLUE'_:_missing_storage-class_or_type_specifiers
MfcEmbed.cpp(945)_:_error_C2086:_'int_THREADSAFE_ISUPPORTS_NOT_AVAILABLE_IN_STANDALONE_GLUE'_:_redefinition
MfcEmbed.cpp(945)_:_see_declaration_of_'THREADSAFE_ISUPPORTS_NOT_AVAILABLE_IN_STANDALONE_GLUE'

Mmh...

Date: February 01, 2006 11:38PM

Okay, nevermind, fixed the problem. My kmeleon project file required some updates, too. So I guess I have to update all plugin project files as well, even though they compile..?

BTW: Is there _AFXDLL missing from the official project file or is it built differently?
BTW2: Support for profile.ini is still experimental and not yet in CVS, isn't it? ;o)

Now I need to find out why K-M won't start from my SeaMonkey directory, but does from my usual Gecko backend. Is it because this SeaMonkey is a static build?

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 02, 2006 12:47PM

i only know from experiance that You cannot start from a FF directory if the FF is statik! But You can start from FF directory if dynamic.

e. g. : when i did experiments about active-x support i tested with dynamic:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051214 Firefox/1.5

that worked with older exe by Dorian.

i only needed to add profile.dll and xpt - then that k-mfox found Profile.

No idea about the rest - i am no dev.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: February 02, 2006 04:19PM

The kmeleon cvs sources still doesn't support XPCOM_GLUE and are far from kmeleonSM. You must build the suite and current cvs sources should work with both 1.7 and 1.8 (but not for long probably)

Now I need to find out why K-M won't start from my SeaMonkey directory, but does from my usual Gecko backend. Is it because this SeaMonkey is a static build?

Of course since no components are builded. You also have to make a static build of kmeleony. If you want to do so, the easy way is to build mfcembed and look what lib are needed during the linking phase. You have also to define _BUILD_STATIC_BIN. But your mozconfig must be precise to avoid useless components included in the exe.

Unfortunately making a static build was not possible the last time I tried (with the current SM source, but it's still possible with the current cvs sources). If mfcembed can be build statically, it's possible, else you need to edit mozilla includes.

_AFXDLL is defined automatically depending of the configuration of your project: using MFC in a shared DLL or in a static library.

Date: February 02, 2006 09:29PM

Thank you, guenter and Dorian for your replies.

Did a shared build last night and K-M runs now. But it's not perfect, yet, as all toolbar icons are missing and K-M requires a toolbars.cfg file in the profile... I'll look into that on the weekend.

The kmeleon cvs sources still doesn't support XPCOM_GLUE and are far from kmeleonSM.

Oops, I thought these were the latest ones including everything that's in kmeleonSM. Is the idea behind it keeping CVS clean with only needed and stable fixes and taking kSM for experimenting?

I just downloaded the 1.0b5 sources and will use these. Cool that they are up. :-)

You must build the suite and current cvs sources should work with both 1.7 and 1.8 (but not for long probably)

Thanks!

You have also to define _BUILD_STATIC_BIN. But your mozconfig must be precise to avoid useless components included in the exe.

Is there an example .mozconfig somewhere or is it still the one that you posted <digging> here </digging>?

Unfortunately making a static build was not possible the last time I tried (with the current SM source, but it's still possible with the current cvs sources). If mfcembed can be build statically, it's possible, else you need to edit mozilla includes.

Okay.

_AFXDLL is defined automatically depending of the configuration of your project: using MFC in a shared DLL or in a static library.

Defined automatically by the IDE or by the compiler? I'm not using the vcproj files, I only import them and work from there with a nice GUI for the command line. ;o)

Date: February 02, 2006 10:57PM

Did a shared build last night and K-M runs now. But it's not perfect, yet, as all toolbar icons are missing and K-M requires a toolbars.cfg file in the profile... I'll look into that on the weekend.

Everything's there and looks nice if I copy the the skin's files into the profile. K-M detects the different skins (drop down list in preferences) but it doesn't want to use them.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 03, 2006 06:49PM

You best try the new exe with GRE and everything of another k-m that has the same GRE and that worked. ( try the closessed relative's folder with profile and all)

Next try with Your new k-plugins....

That is to make sure that it is not a problem of the components.

Date: February 04, 2006 09:20PM

Is the idea behind it keeping CVS clean with only needed and stable fixes and taking kSM for experimenting?

Kinda. But it's not that easy to bring the cvs up to date. I can't just upload my version to it. And there are features which may not be in the final build; the sidebar support (already in a working plugin), and the favicon support which is the feature that bloat it the most.

Date: February 05, 2006 03:27PM

Re. Mozilla from CVS and K-M from CVS: I think everything works fine now, except that I don't get dialogs for *some* plugins (e.g. sessions, bookmarks, favorites and hotlist) in Edit - Preferences - Plugins - Configure, although the plugins do their job. Oh, and the CVS's hotlist plugin has problems with *my* hotlist file (from 1.0b5) - the menu entry doesn't appear.

Kinda. But it's not that easy to bring the cvs up to date. I can't just upload my version to it.

Oops, I thought that was possible (just download everything, do a diff, apply your changes carefully and upload it).

And there are features which may not be in the final build; the sidebar support (already in a working plugin),

What's the problem here? Sure, it's not yet used, but you'll never know. :-)

and the favicon support which is the feature that bloat it the most.

Yeah, that's too bad, as it is a great feature that should nowadays be part of every browser. But the png-conversion took me a bit of a time to get everything settled down with the 1.0b5 source. Now everything compiles fine (using release no glue) but the exe hasn't got an icon and when I start it I only get some dialogs with buttons and icons but no text (should probably be "plugin found - load yes/no") and a crash in the end... Mmh.

Date: February 05, 2006 08:01PM

Seems like you forgot to link the ressources or something.

Date: February 05, 2006 10:19PM

Well, yes and no. I had to re-unite the different resource files again, just like I had to do with VC6 (all of them were part of the project, but that didn't help). So it's either a problem of the free VC7 toolkit or of my IDE/the command line parameters. Anyway, now it works. *g*

But there are some unimportant problems using the same profile with your 1.0b5 and mine - the toolbar layout is not saved and so I have to re-arrange the bars all the time..

Date: February 07, 2006 05:24PM

In the sources you get, in stdafx.h the line "#define USE_PROFILES" is commented. Not sure if it's the source of this problem but it must not be commented for the profile to work correctly.

---------------------

Is there an example .mozconfig somewhere or is it still the one that you posted <digging> here </digging>?

I suppose the page that explain how to build kmeleon should be updated, but since I don't know how to do that ... and I have not much confidence in my english :p

For now, I can give the needed stuffs.
Mozilla 1.8 SDK
Or if you want to build mozilla
mozconfig

---------------------

What's the problem here? Sure, it's not yet used, but you'll never know. :-)

The urlbar was planned to be moved in a plugin. That's how k-meleon was designed. Even though I don't like it, I think I should put something like the sidebar in a plugin too.

I may use a dll for png support, so that It could be used for skins (and since png need zlib, we could even pack the skin)

---------------------

Oops, I thought that was possible (just download everything, do a diff, apply your changes carefully and upload it).

Applying changes should be done feature by feature, not with a big massive patch.

---------------------
the CVS's hotlist plugin has problems with *my* hotlist file

It's not much different than 1.0b5 one.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.